TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Blast from the Past (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Margaret Court Picture Thread (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=456918)

Rollo Apr 4th, 2012 05:04 PM

Margaret Court Picture Thread

For pictures of Margaret Smith-Court

Rollo Apr 4th, 2012 05:05 PM

Re: Margaret Court Picture Thread

Margaret Smith's first big title-the 1960 Australian National title. Ironically she lost in the junior girls event here!

Uranium Apr 4th, 2012 05:50 PM

Don't know the years, but two other Aussie Open wins:

alfajeffster Apr 4th, 2012 07:39 PM

Rollo- I have a bunch of pics in the old Margaret Smith Court thread (can't remember what the thread is called). Is there any way to find them and transfer or copy the pics here? There are some really rare ones in that thread.

Rollo Apr 5th, 2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Rollo- I have a bunch of pics in the old Margaret Smith Court thread (can't remember what the thread is called). Is there any way to find them and transfer or copy the pics here? There are some really rare ones in that thread.
I'll check on that Jeff. Like the new avatar BTW. It might be the size, but you look like a German noble minus the monocle!

I feel like I shuld address you as Herr Baron von Jeffster now:)

alfajeffster Apr 5th, 2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 21221541)
I'll check on that Jeff. Like the new avatar BTW. It might be the size, but you look like a German noble minus the monocle!

I feel like I shuld address you as Herr Baron von Jeffster now:)

Everyone in my family says I look like my dad, which if you knew how my dad and I argued and fought like cats and dogs, you'd find as funny as I do. I got my mom's knuckles and finger size, and when I was a pretty young man, I did look more like her. Oh, and I don't mind the German descriptive at all, being the only non-blonde in the family!

Rollo Apr 27th, 2012 06:47 PM

Still no luck tracking down your pics Alfa. But I did find this.....

Little Miss Billie Jean Moffitt sat on on Miss Smith toughit and ruined her hopes of winnign Wimbledon 1962. Court generally came out on top during their rivalry, but King won her share. Quite a winsome look on Miss Moffitt's face...

alfajeffster Apr 27th, 2012 06:58 PM

Odd to see Billie Jean dressed more traditionally than Margaret. Also, I didn't realize they had hideous designs on jackets back then. Smith looks soooo Aussie in this pic- if you cleared away the hair covering them, the classic cab-door ears are there to compliment the slightly bucked teeth. Still, they're both lovely young ladies all things considered.

alfajeffster May 1st, 2012 06:32 PM

Probably my favorite pic of Margaret- not a foot on the ground and perfectly balanced for a very difficult volley.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rollo May 1st, 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Probably my favorite pic of Margaret- not a foot on the ground and perfectly balanced for a very difficult volley.
Not to mention blonde! Great pic Alfa:)

She'll never win any grace awards-but what an athlete. I put down a lot of her stiffnes to having to play with her non dominant hand. A natural lefty, she was made to switch.

Just imagine if she had stayed lefthanded.

alfajeffster May 1st, 2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 21350727)
Not to mention blonde! Great pic Alfa:)

She'll never win any grace awards-but what an athlete. I put down a lot of her stiffnes to having to play with her non dominant hand. A natural lefty, she was made to switch.

Just imagine if she had stayed lefthanded.

Oh, I know. She looks like a goose headed for an aircraft turbine. This may sound silly, but I'm serious here- I think she really suffered from being such a prude and wearing longer skirts and later on in her career those hideous oversized collars which she hid behind. Graf suffered from the same insecurities with her shoulders and hands. She thought it made her look less feminine. Oh, and regarding Madge's hair, my sister is a licensed cosmetologist, and I showed her several of Margaret's videos. She insisted they were highlights, and stupid me, I argued that it was all the sun.

tennisvideos May 2nd, 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfajeffster (Post 21351770)
Oh, I know. She looks like a goose headed for an aircraft turbine. This may sound silly, but I'm serious here- I think she really suffered from being such a prude and wearing longer skirts and later on in her career those hideous oversized collars which she hid behind. Graf suffered from the same insecurities with her shoulders and hands. She thought it made her look less feminine. Oh, and regarding Madge's hair, my sister is a licensed cosmetologist, and I showed her several of Margaret's videos. She insisted they were highlights, and stupid me, I argued that it was all the sun.

Very funny! She was very awkward looking indeed much of the time ... esp when you watch her playing again Evert, Goolagong and Bueno who all had such grace and elegance and were incredibly feminine.

Even I could tell they were streaks (or highlights) :)

LOL @ the big collars - they were hideous. But those Tinling dresses were a bit improvement on the dowdy Fred Perry shirt and skirts she used to wear! Very frumpy. Martina went for the big collars too in the 70s. :lol:

alfajeffster May 2nd, 2012 02:23 PM

A nice early pic of the two Slammers (1962)

GeeTee May 12th, 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisvideos (Post 21352959)
But those Tinling dresses were a bit improvement on the dowdy Fred Perry shirt and skirts she used to wear! Very frumpy.

What did Teddy call them? 'twopenny shirts'?

alfajeffster May 12th, 2012 07:29 AM

Margaret used to go out and paint the town in whatever tour stop she visited. it proved to be the beginning of her divine calling. It didn't get a lot of press, because she disguised herself so well:

[IMG][/IMG]