TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who will win, Peak Sharapova vs. Peak Azarenka? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=455901)

Julian. Mar 19th, 2012 11:36 AM

Who will win, Peak Sharapova vs. Peak Azarenka?

I know the current Sharapova is completely hopeless against Peak Azarenka and has become her bitch :sobbing:

I'm wondering who is going to win a match between the peak pre-injury Sharapova and the peak current 2012 Azarenka?

Peak Sharapova: 2008 Australian Open or Sharapova in 2006 (2006 US Open)
Peak Azarenka: Azarenka in 2012

Do you think it's simply just a matchup issue and Peak Azarenka of 2012 would still beat Peak Sharapova back in 2006 or 2008?

Miss Atomic Bomb Mar 19th, 2012 11:52 AM

Re: Who will win, Peak Sharapova vs. Peak Azarenka?

It would be very close. Sharapova at her peak has much better footwork to cope with Azarenka's grinding, and will have the best chance to win on faster hard courts, if they still exist.

In 2007, an 18 year old Azarenka straight stetted Sharapova just weeks before Maria went on to reach the YEC finals, and only a couple of months before Maria's AO 2008 run. And all of this in Sharapova's home tournament too.

Melange Mar 19th, 2012 11:54 AM

Peak Azarenka will lose to Peak Woz

Rest Maria! Mar 19th, 2012 11:57 AM

Azarenka might not have peaked yet.

ElusiveChanteuse Mar 19th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aselto (Post 21123445)
Azarenka might not have peaked yet.

+1. Yeah, I don't think she has reached her full potential yet but it's enough for her now to dominate the tour.:cheer: :oh:

Mistress of Evil Mar 19th, 2012 11:59 AM

Julian, you little twerp. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradbury (Post 21123426)

In 2007, an 18 year old Azarenka straight stetted Sharapova just weeks before Maria went on to reach the YEC finals, and only a couple of months before Maria's AO 2008 run. And all of this in Sharapova's home tournament too.

True. However, that was Martha's first match after the USO. Her home tournament is a bit of overstatement :lol: Her results in Moscow are beyond abysmal.

Julian. Mar 19th, 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Светльо (Post 21123449)
Julian, you little hussey. :o

WTF. Why? :lol:

Melange Mar 19th, 2012 12:05 PM

:eek: drama

doomsday Mar 19th, 2012 12:11 PM

I have no problem admitting that Maria fans are drama queens :lol:

goldenlox Mar 19th, 2012 12:21 PM

I still think 2008 AO Maria would be tough for anybody to beat. And we never saw her get to develop beyond that or even hold that form because of her surgery.

Vika is still early in her career, and this is a great run, historic if she can win Miami also.

But time is the ultimate judge. Vika still has only made 1 slam final, only 2 slam semis.
Lets see how this year goes, and the next 5-10 years

Lin Lin Mar 19th, 2012 12:38 PM

What peak?When they screaming loudest?

allhailwilliams Mar 19th, 2012 12:40 PM

i dont see maria ever winning another slam. if maria cannot win without, the williams, kimmie, and henin playing on tour..., she wont ever win. maria to be honest, cannot beat the second tier players.., kerber, rowanska, and most of the europeans and american scrapers pick=ems... maria is the weakest "2 ever and it's really sad. her serve is the least of her problems. her biggest problem is movement...lilly white gal is no athlete, all she does is try to hit it hard and harder.

thrust Mar 19th, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenlox (Post 21123504)
I still think 2008 AO Maria would be tough for anybody to beat. And we never saw her get to develop beyond that or even hold that form because of her surgery.

Vika is still early in her career, and this is a great run, historic if she can win Miami also.

But time is the ultimate judge. Vika still has only made 1 slam final, only 2 slam semis.
Lets see how this year goes, and the next 5-10 years

Maria, at her best, would beat the Vika of today. Maria was always somewhat inconsistant, primarily due to her high risk game and less than great technique and movement.

goldenlox Mar 19th, 2012 01:08 PM

When Maria won the AO in 2008, she was still only 20, which is younger than Vika, Caro, are now. We'll never know what would have happened.
Maria now grinds thru long matches, like vs Kirilenko.
At 2008 AO she beat Justine 64 60, and Dementieva only got 2 games. I saw that whole match, it was as onesided as the score. Maria was pounding the ball into corners & coming to net to end the point. Elena had to hit passing shots on the run to win a point

BH both wings Mar 19th, 2012 01:20 PM

Peak ballbashers defeat peak grinders if they are in the same overall league. Their peak, however, is usually more brittle and shorter. On her best day Sharapova would have won easily against Azarenka playing her best as of now. But over a season, with both in their prime, it would be relatively close and down to surface and match dramaturgy.