TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   College tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1019)
-   -   BATTLE; STANFORD vs FLORIDA (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=453323)

fantic Feb 6th, 2012 02:41 PM

BATTLE; STANFORD vs FLORIDA

Since those are the better teams by FAR, thought to make a separate thread
:bowdown:

Midland ITF;

Jessica Pegula (5) def. Danielle Rose Collins 6-2, 6-1

Not a promising result for UF, at least Krista defeated Keys in two :lol:

hellas719 Feb 8th, 2012 02:39 AM

Re: BATTLE; STANFORD vs FLORIDA

Last years final was EPIC :worship:

SakiBomb25 Feb 8th, 2012 06:47 PM

If Ahn isn't healthy, then it really won't be a battle. You'd have to concede the No. 6 spot to Florida automatically and Stanford won't be winning any matches against a great team like Florida spotting them a lead.

Get better Kristie! The good thing is that she was playing doubles against Oregon this past weekend...

tie_breaker Feb 8th, 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 (Post 20918932)
If Ahn isn't healthy, then it really won't be a battle. You'd have to concede the No. 6 spot to Florida automatically and Stanford won't be winning any matches against a great team like Florida spotting them a lead.

Get better Kristie! The good thing is that she was playing doubles against Oregon this past weekend...

and I think they'll lose the doubles point (#2 and #3), so 2 points down, Stanford may lose 5-2.
If that were to happen, losing 2 games in a row to Florida at home is going to sting :sad:

They will want to get revenge at nationals this year before Hardebeck comes around...

SakiBomb25 Feb 8th, 2012 09:35 PM

Well if Stanford loses to Florida now, I'm ok with it. The most important thing is for Ahn to get healthy and ready for a rematch in May.

2nd_serve Feb 8th, 2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 (Post 20920272)
Well if Stanford loses to Florida now, I'm ok with it. The most important thing is for Ahn to get healthy and ready for a rematch in May.

Agreed, the big match is in May.

Amalgamate Feb 9th, 2012 02:26 AM

How I see the match shaping up this weekend:

#1: Gibbs vs. Embree/Will -- Match really could go either way. But I give the edge to Stanford because Nicole will be at home
#2 Burdette vs. Embree/Will -- Mallory hasn't been overly impressive and I think against either Embree or Will her fitness will really hurt her. I give the edge to Florida
#3 Tan vs. Mather -- These two had an incredibly close match in the final last year, and I expect the same this year. Except Mather has seemed to drastically improve from last year. I'm still calling this one a toss up.
#4 Tsay vs. Cercone -- Give the edge to Stanford here. I think Tsay has too much variety for Cercone.
#5 Li vs. Oyen -- I've never been impressed with Li and always have a hard time picking her to win matches. So with that being said I think Oyen is the better player and Li only wins if Oyen implodes. Edge to Florida.
#6 Dillon vs. Hitimana/Janowicz -- Resounding advantage to Florida. It's crazy how Stanford can be as good as they are but if their #7 plays at #6 she will lose to everyone in the Pac-12.

mboyle Feb 9th, 2012 05:27 AM

I think UF could conceivably win this 6-1...I think UF could even win with Ahn on court. They're very good this year.

desariofan Feb 9th, 2012 06:32 AM

I think it might be closer than some of you think.

Potential matchups:

DOUBLES
1) No. 1 Burdette/Gibbs (STAN) vs No. 10 Oyen/Will (FL)
2) Tan/Tsay (STAN) vs No. 15 Embree/Mather (FL)
3) Kristie Ahn/Li (STAN) vs Cercone/Janowicz (FL)

I say STAN takes 1D given Oyen's inconsistencies and UF takes 2D. Embree/Mather are way too strong there. So it comes down to three. Janowicz seems to be in a bit of a slump, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hitimana instead of Jano to play with Cercone. Even if Ahn does play, which I doubt she will, I say UF takes 3D.

UF - 1 POINT

SINGLES
1) No. 5 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) vs No. 3 Allie Will (FL)

WIll needs to believe that on a good day, she can beat anyone on the court across from her. She was riding a no-loss season as a freshman but then lost to Lindsey B in the finals and cost the team the title. As for last year, Barte was just too good. Still, if Will is able to hit through that forehand of hers freely, she can take it and blow Gibbs off the court. Gibbs? Too solid.

STAN - 1 POINT

2) No. 1 Mallory Burdette (STAN) vs No. 25 Lauren Embree (FL)

This is pretty self-explanatory. The demons will come back and haunt Mallory.

UF - 1 POINT

3) Stacey Tan (STAN) vs No. 4 Joanna Mather (FL)

Mather had the match in her hands last year, but got tight and couldn't close it out and lost it to Tan. This time, she is a different person with a brand new confidence.

UF - 1 POINT

4) Ellen Tsay (STAN) vs No. 41 Alex Cercone (FL)

Cercone was a rock last year in the NCAA and I expect her to come through this one again. Tsay seems to have the goods to take Cercone, but lack of experience could hurt her. But I see a fresher Tsay come out on top.

STAN - 1 POINT

5) Veronica Li (STAN) vs No. 34 Sofie Oyen (FL)

This could be a close match, mainly because if Oyen isn't focusing enough. Otherwise it's her match no contest.

UF - 1 POINT

6) Natalie Dillon (STAN) vs Caroline Hitimana (FL)

I put Hitimana because she is having a great year so far where as Jano is slumping a bit. It doesn't matter, however, whether it's Jano or Hitimana - Either girl should take this one without a heartbeat.

UF - 1 POINT

UF def STAN 5-2

Any other takers?

fantic Feb 9th, 2012 02:43 PM

Tan/Tsay could be a very good combination, Tan as a superb ball basher and Tsay dominating at the net :drool: Dbls #2 is THE match to watch.

And Will blow Gibbs off the court? I thought Gibbs was the superior attacker? :confused: Even Jana Juricova couldn't blow Gibbsy off the court at the NW Regional semi, how can Allie?
Allie is more consistent, but when Nicole goes for the lines SHE will blow Allie off the court, not vice versa.

Tan vs Mather could be pretty tight again :drool: Remember, Tan is NCAA finalist, when she is on...imo she's a better driver than Mather, more flatter hitter...

Oyen now playing at #5..was her playing #3 last season justified then?

fantic Feb 9th, 2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellas719 (Post 20915699)
Last years final was EPIC :worship:

yup, even WITHOUT Ahn almost defeated Florida..de facto best team last season..

urklerlay Feb 9th, 2012 06:17 PM

Wow...all this talk leading up to Sunday...can't wait til the match! (btw - Stanford plays Pepperdine on Saturday)

Here's a crazy scenario for all those who have submitted predictions: What if K Ahn plays and Lele places her in the 3 spot? That's conceivable, right? She was playing ahead of S Tan before she was injured, correct? Just a thought.

mboyle Feb 9th, 2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantic (Post 20925537)
yup, even WITHOUT Ahn almost defeated Florida..de facto best team last season..

Lol oh Fantic! You're almost as obsessed with California as I am with Texas. ;) However, that makes you hopelessly biased!

I think Stanford's chances, in order of likelihood, are as follows:

1st Singles--Stanford needs this point in a big way. Having watched both players, I think Gibbs is a more talented ball striker. This is the only match up where I think Stanford is favored.

Doubles point--I think Stanford really needs to win the doubles point. As others have predicted, I think the point will come down to the third position. This point is a toss up to me.

2nd singles--this is where things get tricky. Embree hasn't been having a great year, but she typically performs better in duals than in tournaments thanks to her incredible ability to handle the nerves. I think she is slightly favored in this match, but she is at Mallory's mercy to some extent. If Mallory plays lights out tennis, she will win. Stanford needs this point, because it is one of the positions where the Stanford player has a clear advantage in ability to control the point.

3rd singles--I have to think Mather is a huge favorite on paper. She's been having a phenomenal season. That said, Tan really impressed me last year. I think she's incredibly tough, mentally, which is not something I can say about Mather. Tan won last year. This is a huge test for Mather, in my book.

4th singles--Cercone should win this match. I haven't been overly impressed with Tsay. I don't think this is out of Stanford's reach, but UF is favored.

5th singles--I don't think Li has much of a shot. Stanford struggles at the bottom positions. Oyen should win in straight sets

6th singles--This is almost a walkover. UF wins.

The problem for Stanford, even in the NCAAs, is that UF is just as strong at the top, but stronger at the bottom. While that is exaggerated in Ahn's absence, I think it's still true come May. If Allie and Lauren win their matches, UF will almost certainly win another title. I wouldn't want to bet a title on Allie and Lauren losing...

Amalgamate Feb 9th, 2012 09:17 PM

I agree with everything you said with the exception of:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboyle (Post 20926193)
3rd singles--I have to think Mather is a huge favorite on paper. She's been having a phenomenal season. That said, Tan really impressed me last year. I think she's incredibly tough, mentally, which is not something I can say about Mather. Tan won last year. This is a huge test for Mather, in my book.

Why? Because she played well in the fall? I think saying Mather is "a huge favorite" is major hyperbole. Which, granted, you are often prone to. Did Mather have better singles results this fall? Yes. However with the exception of her loss to Kate Turvy, Stacey has only lost to Robin Anderson (twice) and Denise Dy. It's not like she's not playing well either. Especially given it is her home court and she beat Mather here last year, you have to think this match is a toss-up.

Quote:

4th singles--Cercone should win this match. I haven't been overly impressed with Tsay. I don't think this is out of Stanford's reach, but UF is favored.

I definitely disagree with you here. You may not be impressed with Tsay, but she wins matches and I think will have too much variety for Cercone.

Quote:

The problem for Stanford, even in the NCAAs, is that UF is just as strong at the top, but stronger at the bottom. While that is exaggerated in Ahn's absence, I think it's still true come May. If Allie and Lauren win their matches, UF will almost certainly win another title. I wouldn't want to bet a title on Allie and Lauren losing...

Is this comment assuming a healthy Ahn (i.e. the Ahn that won Ojai)?

#1 - Gibbs vs. Will: Stanford favored
#2 - Ahn vs. Embree: Stanford favored
#3 - Burdette vs. Mather: Stanford favored
#4 - Tan vs. Cercone: Stanford favored
#5 - Tsay vs. Oyen: Stanford favored (In my opinion, but just for kicks let's give this one to Florida since you "aren't impressed with Tsay")
#6 - Li vs. Hitimana/Janowicz - Stanford favored.

Just so we are clear, you think Florida is stronger at positions #3-#6 if Stanford fields a full lineup? If Stanford has the above healthy lineup, I'd be willing to give you victories at #1 and #2 for Florida and still be confident in Stanford's chances of winning.

tie_breaker Feb 9th, 2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboyle (Post 20921554)
I think UF could conceivably win this 6-1...I think UF could even win with Ahn on court. They're very good this year.

This match is more of an exhibition match so I don't think Stanford will risk putting Ahn on the court but with a healthy Ahn and a favored UF, I think Stanford has the talent to upset UF during the NCAA's. Stanford matches up better against UF with Ahn in the lineup. I think Stanford can win it with a healthy Ahn and a more experienced Tsay.

SINGLES-
#1 - Gibbs vs. Will:
Stanford favored
#2 - Ahn vs. Embree:
Stanford slight edge (assuming that Ahn is healthy)
#3 - Burdette vs. Mather
UF slight edge
#4 - Tan vs. Cercone
Stanford favored
#5 - Tsay vs. Oyen:
Stanford slight edge
#6 - Li vs. Hitimana/Janowicz
UF slight edge

DOUBLES-
#1 Burdette/Gibbs vs Oyen/Will
Stanford favored
#2 Tan/Tsay vs Embree/Mather
Toss-up
#3 Ahn/Li vs Cercone/Janowicz
Florida slight edge

Stanford either wins 4-3 (losing doubles point) or 5-2 (winning doubles point)

But given that this weekend, isn't NCAA's and that Ahn is injured, I predict UF wins 5-2:

SINGLES-
#1: Gibbs vs. Will -- Stanford
#2 Burdette vs. Embree -- Florida
#3 Tan vs. Mather -- Stanford
#4 Tsay vs. Cercone -- Florida
#5 Li vs. Oyen -- Florida
#6 Dillon vs. Hitimana/Janowicz -- Florida

DOUBLES-
#1 Burdette/Gibbs vs Oyen/Will -- Stanford
#2 Tan/Tsay vs Embree/Mather -- Florida
#3 Herring/Li vs Cercone/Janowicz -- Florida