TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does contemporary popular/mainstream music mostly suck? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=449563)

pov Dec 12th, 2011 06:32 PM

Does contemporary popular/mainstream music mostly suck?

I've noticed that most cafes play music from the 90s or maybe before.

Edit: I added in popular/mainstream because i do agree - as egalite posted - that there is good music to be found if one hunts for it.

antonella Dec 12th, 2011 06:34 PM

Re: Does contemporary music mostly suck?

One thing that sucks is your spelling, no offensive intended.

pov Dec 12th, 2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonella (Post 20584986)
One thing that sucks is your spelling, no offensive intended.

:eek: What? Are you on some strange drug? My spelling is - in fact - great. Given that fact, one thing that clearly does suck is your perspective. BTW it's "no offense" not "no offensive" you moron (offense intended.):yeah:

Super Dave Dec 12th, 2011 06:38 PM

Yes.

égalité Dec 12th, 2011 06:57 PM

No. As with any musical era, you don't hear the good music by just walking into a cafe. You need to look a little harder for it. [/bjork] [/joanna newsom] [/animal collective]

M.S.F Dec 12th, 2011 07:10 PM

Not really, it's just less innovative.

Apoleb Dec 12th, 2011 07:40 PM

The radio is absolutely awful. I think mainstream music used to be better.

pov Dec 12th, 2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by égalité (Post 20585062)
No. As with any musical era, you don't hear the good music by just walking into a cafe. You need to look a little harder for it. [/bjork] [/joanna newsom] [/animal collective]

Bjork - first album was in 1977 so we won't include her. I do agree that you can find good music if you search for it.

Kworb Dec 12th, 2011 08:12 PM

Re: Does contemporary popular/mainstream music mostly suck?

The stuff on the charts used to be better yes. But almost all of my all time favorite songs were released in the 2000s.

égalité Dec 12th, 2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 20585306)
Bjork - first album was in 1977 so we won't include her. I do agree that you can find good music if you search for it.

She was 11. :lol: Her next solo album (not coincidentally called Debut) was released in 1993 and her most recent album is two months old.

pov Dec 12th, 2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by égalité (Post 20585321)
She was 11. :lol: Her next solo album (not coincidentally called Debut) was released in 1993 and her most recent album is two months old.

Okay let's say 1993 was her first. That makes her a 90s musician. The fact that she's still going doesn't make that any less so.

miffedmax Dec 12th, 2011 08:26 PM

Most pop music has always sucked. People may age and older will tell you all we listened to were The Beatles and Jimmi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and The Clash and Parliament/Funkadelic but a quick glance back at the charts will quickly reveal that we are lying our asses off because the charts are littered with crap from the likes of The Archies, Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, Paper Lace, Milli Vanilli, the Bay City Rollers, The Knack and a horde of other puke-worthy bands that would make you tear off your own ears in horror.

The difference is you get about 10 years out and you can start to tell what was dreck and what was decent.

30 years out you start to listen to all the crap because it makes you feel young again, but you go "Geez, i can't believe I ever owned this crapass album/CD.

Oh, BTW, this is an album:

It had one of these inside:

Don't even get me going on these:

Super Dave Dec 12th, 2011 08:30 PM

But Bjork's first album with the Sugarcubes was fantastic. ('88)

delicatecutter Dec 12th, 2011 08:33 PM

Birthday :inlove:

Super Dave Dec 12th, 2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delicatecutter (Post 20585412)
Birthday :inlove:

Not one bad / throwaway song on that album (Life's Too Good). But I didn't like hardly anything the 'Cubes did subsequently.