TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Australia (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   December Showdown & AO WC Playoff (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448638)

ozfan44 Nov 16th, 2011 08:41 AM

December Showdown & AO WC Playoff

Acceptance List is out for the 18s Nationals.
Winner will recieve an AO Qualifying Wildcard.

Main Draw Direct - Barty, Sanders, Hadzic, Tredoux, Rajicic, Keir, Panoho, Woolcock, Myers & Sharma
Wildcards - 4 TBA Today

Qualifying Direct - Rischbeith, James, Balint, Nancarrow, M.Capannolo, O'Sullivan, Lenertz, Hoang, Stojic, Baric, Rhurig, Dikosavljevic, Long & Fuller
Wildcards - 2 TBA Today

Next In - A.Capannolo, Harris, Hon, Wallace, Andrinopolous....

All acceptance lists: http://www.tennis.com.au/tournaments...ls/acceptances

TS Nov 16th, 2011 09:06 AM

Re: December Showdown & AO WC Playoff

whatever happened to the Dikosavljevic girls? :confused: I know they're both still very young, but barely heard a whisper out of them this year.

This 18s event looks like it could be something. Shame Bains isn't playing (is she in the US?), I'd love to see how she'd fare against the older girls :)

Dani12 Nov 16th, 2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS (Post 20492484)
whatever happened to the Dikosavljevic girls? :confused: I know they're both still very young, but barely heard a whisper out of them this year.

This 18s event looks like it could be something. Shame Bains isn't playing (is she in the US?), I'd love to see how she'd fare against the older girls :)

No idea what happened to Katarina, but Andrea has been concentrating mostly on the junior circuit domestically. She got herself a few decent semis and so on.

I know Bains is playing Orange Bowl, but you'd think she'd play one of these. 16s would be a good level for her probs, oh well...

18s is a chance for some juniors to impress, girls like Sanders, Hadzic, Rajicic will be playing for AO qualifying for sure. Barty is already a shoe in no matter what.

ozfan44 Nov 16th, 2011 09:33 AM

Agreed.

Sanders v Rajicic shall be interesting preview perhaps at Traralgon tomorrow.

scottsue Nov 16th, 2011 10:51 AM

Where is Molly Polak in all this mix? Talented and good results.....

ozfan44 Nov 16th, 2011 04:08 PM

Entry List so far for the wildcard playoff...

http://tournaments.tennis.com.au/spo...7ED399&event=2

No sign of Ferguson, Letcher or Moore....no Konta lol but we do have Arina-Rodi

Would expect to see Holland enter in the coming days...wonder if Dani D and Mirkovic will be fit too play? also no starr or hubacek??

TS Nov 16th, 2011 08:18 PM

I wouldn't have expected Starr or Hubacek to actually be selected, so no real surprise. They might enter in next few days though.

Daniel. Nov 16th, 2011 09:33 PM

No Dani D.

louloubelle Nov 19th, 2011 06:56 AM

The usual TA story is that everyone player has to earn their w/c and therefore play this event. Clearly Casey, Liv and Izzy have done enough to be granted a w/c to the AO. Why make them play it? Opens a couple of spots for others.

TS Nov 19th, 2011 07:11 AM

Holland, Hubacek, Dominikovic and Starr have all now entered.

Ferguson, Letcher, Moore & Mirkovic are the only major absentees and I don't expect any of them to play.

ozfan44 Nov 19th, 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS (Post 20500665)
Holland, Hubacek, Dominikovic and Starr have all now entered.

Ferguson, Letcher, Moore & Mirkovic are the only major absentees and I don't expect any of them to play.

Yeah shame that those four are missing, Ferguson is meant to be taking a break, I still stand by my guess that Jess has quit, Letcher has probably discovered she loves Vodka and Techno while Marija can't get her foot injury sorted :sad:

ozfan44 Nov 21st, 2011 07:37 AM

So 16 spots in the playoff

Top 250 wta rank automatically secures a spot...

Dellacqua, Rogowska, Holland, Peers & Bobusic are definately IN

That leaves 11 spots or 10 if they accept Arina Rodionova??

I would like to see them just go down the rankings for the rest so Adamczak, Patterson, Dominikovic, Wlodarczak, Bai, Starr, Hadzic, Sanders, Rajicic and Barty....Hubacek next in (or last in depending on arina rodi)

That would mean though missing out would be the likes of Bengson, Rischbeith, Scivetti, Sumner, Tredoux and Woolcock...

Everyone elses thoughts?

Sam21 Nov 21st, 2011 08:13 AM

that would be fair if they did it like that, but i'd still like to see Woolcock, Sumner and Tredoux in instead of Bai, Starr and Wlodarczak. i agree with what louloubelle said, Casey, Liv and Bella are pretty much guaranteed to get WCs whatever happens in the play-off, and leaving them out would let more players in. Casey is a pretty sure bet to win and if her, Liv and Bella were out it would be easier to decide the 4th and 5th WC, or decide who is more worthy out of Sally, Bojana, Monique etc. are we still thinking that Barty will be given a WC? she hasn't done anything in the seniors since winning Wimbledon.

Bluish Nov 21st, 2011 08:30 AM

Bai, Starr, Dominikovic and Wlodarczak shouldn't be in. I like Daniela, but they've all been given enough chances and are too old. Bengsen, Sumner and Woolcock would be better picks.

They really should shorten the field to 12 players so it's not just putting people there for the sake of it.

Dellacqua
Rogowska
Holland
Peers
Bobusic
Adamczak
Patterson
Barty
and the last 4 to the people who EARNED the most points during the recent $25K's OR special cases like Sophie Ferguson or Jessica Moore.

16 is just too many. People outside TOP 500 shouldn't be playing here

Territory Nov 21st, 2011 08:50 AM

I think that just going down the rankings produces a really nice list. I really don't think Ashling Sumner should be given a wildcard - she's hardly played at all this year and they wasted 2 or 3 QWCs on her last year in the Aussie WTAs. If there's to be any readjustment, I'd say take Bai out and put Bengson in. She's got a big game and I think is capable of being top 200 one day.

The young ones you guys have mentioned will just get flogged. And if they're still in juniors they can play U/18s and try get a QWC there.

I think the 16 player draw is fine, especially when we have good depth, like we do now.