TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Oceania (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1547)
-   -   Emily Fanning (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448604)

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 05:39 AM

Emily Fanning

Em is probably one of our biggest talents around at the moment. She's not the tallest player, or the strongest, but she does have talent. Crafting points with big loopy shots and great court coverage will be her weapons in years to come.

She is currently 16 and still spending most of her times in the juniors, with pretty good results.

Currently ranked #55 in singles with a 27-11 record in singles, and 28-9 in doubles. Notching up some notable victories over Tredoux, Tomic, Woolcock, Myers & taking a set off Madison Keys at the US Open. The same tournament Keys won a round at in the seniors.

Probably the most interesting thing about Emily is that she is plays with a single handed FH & BH.

I honestly don't think that top #150 is out of the question in years to come.

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 05:43 AM

Re: Emily Fanning

Epic article about Em from 2009.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...-of-the-famous

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 06:01 AM

Em finishing her pro year with 25k Bendigo.

Then no doubt the NZMT's and Residential's & Auckland qualies.

Dani12 Nov 15th, 2011 06:43 AM

What do you think her chances are of an MDWC in Auckland? Erakovic will be in MD auto I'd say. Who are the other people besides Sacha Jones?

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani12 (Post 20489120)
What do you think her chances are of an MDWC in Auckland? Erakovic will be in MD auto I'd say. Who are the other people besides Sacha Jones?

Pretty slim, it not nil. She's not quite there yet I don't think. One more year in qualies and then if she focuses on seniors next year and manages a top 400 ranking 2012 should bring a MD WC.

Venus will no doubt need a MDWC.

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 06:51 AM

Further to this I would give Westbury a MD WC over Em, at this stage in there careers.

Dani12 Nov 15th, 2011 07:50 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about Westbury, she would probably get one over Em at this stage. Even though I think Fanning will have the better career.

Mana Nov 15th, 2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani12 (Post 20489193)
Oh yeah I forgot about Westbury, she would probably get one at Em at this stage. Even though I think Fanning will have the better career.

Yep - Emily needs to get stronger (although I have not seen her play since January, so she has probably improved in this area) while Westbury needs to work on her fitness.

Westbury hits the ball hard and flat, but has much less error for margin on her shots. Fannning's high percentage shots should carry her further up the rankings.

louloubelle Nov 16th, 2011 12:59 AM

Nice to see another promising talent for NZ. Her and Westbury seem to be quite capable players.

Hopefully they have the persistance and funding to make a living on the tour. Its been dissapointing that the likes of Barry, Hollands, Vano are no longer playing because I felt they were all capable of top 200. I suppose, like the Aussies, funding and distance plays a part (as well as injuries and luck!).

Kevin. Nov 16th, 2011 03:42 AM

I saw her win the second set against Madison Keys at the US Open and the thing about her game is that she can create the pace and keep her opponent on her feet. She doesn't have weapons yet. I am intrigued to see how she does in the next few years. Is she pro or an amateur?

Dani12 Nov 16th, 2011 05:10 AM

I'm assuming she's a pro....since she has a ranking and play on the ITF tour. I've never really gotten the whole amateur/pro thing :lol:

Mana Nov 16th, 2011 05:54 AM

Yeah she's pro, but obviously school and juniors are still her priority.

Mana Nov 20th, 2011 06:11 PM

QR2: (13)Emily Fanning (NZL) d. Oriana Nowicki (AUS) 16 63 64

Closer that it probably should have been, but she go through.

One more to qualify.

Mana Nov 21st, 2011 06:02 AM

FQR: (4)Azra Hadzic (AUS) d. (13)Emily Fanning (NZL) 60 64

Not the best, last pro tournament of the year.

A whole host of NZ tournaments coming up. Very keen to see how she handles the usual NZ scrubs.

Dani12 Nov 21st, 2011 12:55 PM

I'm sure she'll handle them very well. Hadzic has had a very good year and I think a chance to play in AO qualies. So not a terrible loss.