TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   College tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1019)
-   -   Midwest (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=446817)

fantic Oct 11th, 2011 06:52 PM

Midwest

I thought a thread should be made on this interesting region(section).

NU, ND, MICH troika et al. :lol:

It seems that MICH is recruiting pretty well recently;

2010 BOLENDER CRITSER
2011 BEKTAS LEE DODGE
2012 YUROVSKY ZHU

tennisbuddy12 Oct 11th, 2011 07:58 PM

Re: Midwest

Am working the men's regional this week and women's regional next week as we host. Looking forward to it!

fantic Oct 11th, 2011 08:04 PM

lucky you! can we expect any reports? :)

fantic Oct 11th, 2011 08:15 PM

ND next season;

FRILLING, MATHEWS out
VRABEL, GLEASON in

NU next season;

CHERNYAKOVA, LEE out

johnnytennis Oct 12th, 2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantic (Post 20349636)
I thought a thread should be made on this interesting region(section).

NU, ND, MICH troika et al. :lol:

It seems that MICH is recruiting pretty well recently;

2010 BOLENDER CRITSER
2011 BEKTAS LEE DODGE
2012 YUROVSKY ZHU

You forgot to include 2 other players from the 2011 class for Michigan.
Sarah Lee was ranked as high as No. 7 her freshman and sophomore years and as high as No. 12 her junior year according to Tennisrecruiting. She dropped in the rankings her senior year because she basically stop playing after she committed to Michigan. (This is another flaw that I think Tennisrecruiting has with its ranking system especially when you figure how many commit early and then stop playing tournaments). They listed her as a 5-star in the final rankings which is kind of a joke!
The same with Kristen Dodge who was a blue chip player throughout most of juniors and then was dropped her senior year to a 5-star probably for lack of play after committing in the summer of 2010.

Inger67 Oct 13th, 2011 08:20 AM

One of my friends has Kristen Dodge in his english class :hearts: And Sam Critser is in one of my classes :bounce: Actually live around the corner from her and Bolender. Not sure who else lives there, but apparently 5 girls total she said. I didn't want to be a total creep the first day meeting her :lol:

I really want to go to some of the matches this year, and see how good these college girls are.

fantic Oct 20th, 2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inger67 (Post 20355019)
One of my friends has Kristen Dodge in his english class :hearts: And Sam Critser is in one of my classes :bounce: Actually live around the corner from her and Bolender. Not sure who else lives there, but apparently 5 girls total she said. I didn't want to be a total creep the first day meeting her :lol:

I really want to go to some of the matches this year, and see how good these college girls are.

they should be grateful :lol:

Rachel White

"Famous person I've met: Georgia Rose"

:hysteric:

Well ROSE indeed WAS a famous NU #2 player :lol:

tennisbuddy12 Oct 20th, 2011 04:38 AM

If there are any matches/players worth watching, let me know :)

fantic Oct 20th, 2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 (Post 20381397)
If there are any matches/players worth watching, let me know :)

Have to wait for the MD, Q draw I hardly know any :sobbing: 2nd group looks promising with Abajian, Jogasuria and Stracar (of those 3 I only saw Jogasuria :lol:)

Embittered Oct 20th, 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantic (Post 20381050)
they should be grateful :lol:

Rachel White

"Famous person I've met: Georgia Rose"

:hysteric:

Well ROSE indeed WAS a famous NU #2 player :lol:

Rose played at 1 in the season before Mosolova arrived, and had a high ranking of 3, if CTO can be trusted.

She's assistant coach at Illinois, and doubtless was when White's bio was written, so it's a sort of in-joke, I guess.

fantic Oct 20th, 2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Embittered (Post 20383925)
Rose played at 1 in the season before Mosolova arrived, and had a high ranking of 3, if CTO can be trusted.

She's assistant coach at Illinois, and doubtless was when White's bio was written, so it's a sort of in-joke, I guess.

yup, I think she was one of the best #2s in the nation at that time..I heard the teammates competed with each other to finish(=win) their respective positions early in duals play :lol: NU was that good, then.

fantic Oct 21st, 2011 06:19 AM

In the 1st group of course Frilling vs
Marisa Lambropoulos - Illinoi possible matchup. L defeated Brooke Austin at the Summer ITA Circuit.

4th group, curious about freshmen Sarah Lee of MICH and Kopinski of Illinois.

In the 5th I would recommend watching Mariya Kovaleva of UIC in MD. She meets OSU player so all the more better for you. :) Kovaleva I believe won a set from Barte at NCAA 1st rd last season.

6th;Turvy of NU was in good form at WAATC so should watch her, and curious about Sanders of ND in the same group, she didn't play much last season.

7th;If Dodge of MICH wins she would meet White of Illinois. Could be good. The winner of them might meet Bektas.

8th;Probably Harutyunyan vs Mathews group final but curious about the new recruit by NU, Livadaru.

fantic Feb 6th, 2012 02:38 PM

there are SO many good elite players from Midwest, Gibbsy, Kyle, Lauren Davis.. Brooke Austin is obviously good too. Are their club system top notch? Anybody care to explain? :)

fantic Mar 20th, 2012 12:12 AM

from NEB website;

Geibert, Madeleine Sr. Ludwigshafen, Germany (Gymnasium)
Holmberg, Jennifer Sr. Tampere, Finland (Tammertors)
Veresova, Patricia Jr. Piestany, Slovakia
Weatherholt, Mary Sr. Prairie Village, Kan. (Shawnee Mission South)
Weinreich, Janine Jr. Tespe, Germany
Weinstein, Stefanie Jr. Much, Germany
Zeppernick, Maike So. Hamburg, Germany (Gymnasium Buckhorn)
Zgierska, Izabella Fr. Miesbach, Germany (Gymnasium Miesbach)

practically a German team :lol: Is German community strong in Nebraska? :lol:

First-Team All-Big 12 Players

2011 Patricia Veresova
2010 Stefanie Weinstein
2009-11 Madeleine Geibert
2009-10 Mary Weatherholt

Those 4 are all currently playing.

fantic Mar 22nd, 2012 05:05 AM

Singles
No. 1 -- No. 10 Emina Bektas (U-M) d. No. 49 Shannon Matthews (ND), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
No. 2 -- No. 64 Brooke Bolender (U-M) d. No. 84 Kristy Frilling (ND), 7-6 (4), 6-2
No. 3 -- Sarah Lee (U-M) d. Jennifer Kellner (ND), 7-6 (2), 6-4
No. 4 -- Britney Sanders (ND) d. No. 124 Mimi Nguyen (U-M), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
No. 5 -- No. 106 Sam Critser (U-M) d. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND), 6-4, 6-3
No. 6 -- Michelle Sulahian (U-M) d. Julie Sabacinski (ND), 6-4, 6-0

Doubles
No. 1 -- No. 7 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (U-M) d. No. 1 Kristy Frilling/Shannon Matthews (ND), 8-4
No. 2 -- Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) d. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (U-M), 8-6
No. 3 -- Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) d. Sarah Lee/Sam Critser (U-M), 8-6

Order of Completion: Singles 6-4-5-2-3-1; Doubles 1-3-2