TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Caroline Wozniacki (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1228)
-   -   Womens Tennis in General (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=444696)

Chrissie-fan Sep 6th, 2011 03:19 PM

Womens Tennis in General

A thread that I hope will be a nice alternative to the vile General Morons board that I don't recognize as a legitimate tennis forum but just as a meeting place for the mentally deranged. Although this is primarily set up for the regular posters on Caroline's player forum it's ok for the non-Caro fan who may stumble in here to participate as well. Just as long as they refrain from player bashing (especially Caro bashing), name-calling and trolling. Otherwise there's no point to this and it's better to stick to General Morons.

Chrissie-fan Sep 6th, 2011 03:28 PM

Re: Womens Tennis in General

Ok guys, any predictions about how these 1/4 matches are going to play out?

Caroline Wozniacki VS Andrea Petkovic

Serena Williams VS Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Angelique Kerber VS Flavia Pennetta

Samantha Stosur VS Vera Zvonareva

DownInAHole Sep 6th, 2011 03:42 PM

My predictions are very safe and boring.

Caroline in two close sets, maybe one of them going to a tiebreak.

Serena in two relatively easy sets.

Flavia in two close sets.

As far as Vera and Sam I am going against the head to head (which Stosur leads 7-2 with Vera's two wins coming way back in 2004) and picking Vera to win. She looked fantastic against Lisicki and I can not fathom why she has such a poor record against Sam.

Chrissie-fan Sep 6th, 2011 03:54 PM

The outcome of the Serena/Pavlyuchenkova and Kerber/Pennetta matches is pretty much a foregone conclusion I think. I hope Caroline can get past Petkovic, but I admit that I'm nervous about that one. Vera/Stosur is on paper the match that is the most open. I hope that Vera can pull it off. She's obviously ranking-wise a bigger threat for our girl than Sam, but she's been so good for so long without ever really getting the recognition for it that I'll be rooting for her in that one.

Crockett Sep 6th, 2011 04:10 PM

Before I check the odds market, here are my favorites and my assessment of the odds:

Caroline 1.75
Serena 1.08
Flavia 1.65
Vera 1.90

I will be back in a little while with a follow-up from the market.

Crockett Sep 6th, 2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 20200073)
Before I check the odds market, here are my favorites and my assessment of the odds:

Caroline 1.75
Serena 1.08
Flavia 1.65
Vera 1.90

I will be back in a little while with a follow-up from the market.

And the market has:

Caroline 1.48
Serena 1.09
Flavia 1.43
Vera 1.76

With those odds and my assessment, I should be hedging by betting Caroline, Flavia, and Vera to lose. But I am not going to bet at all; I am going to watch Caroline's match and bite my nails as usual. For today, I will be rooting for Sam.

Chrissie-fan Sep 6th, 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 20200086)
And the market has:

Caroline 1.48
Serena 1.09
Flavia 1.43
Vera 1.76

With those odds and my assessment, I should be hedging by betting Caroline, Flavia, and Vera to lose. But I am not going to bet at all; I am going to watch Caroline's match and bite my nails as usual. For today, I will be rooting for Sam.

Not being a betting man myself, what does this all mean? The lower the number the more likely they are to win?

Jimmie48 Sep 6th, 2011 05:21 PM

Im no expert on betting but a low odd means the player/team is expected more likely to win, so you get less money out of it since it's a "safe" bet.

Serena is obviously the favorite, that's why her odd is the lowest.

postalblowfish Sep 6th, 2011 05:41 PM

I hope Bepa doesn't lose another final.

DownInAHole Sep 6th, 2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by postalblowfish (Post 20200397)
I hope Bepa doesn't lose another final.

But...what if she plays Caroline in the final?

NedRise Sep 6th, 2011 06:06 PM

I was thinking last night (when Caro was behind) how I was going to have little to cheer for in this year's Open once she lost. Personally not a fan of any of the remaining, other than Zvonerava somewhat.

My predictions:

Caro
Serena
Flavia
Vera

If I were betting, I would bet on Vera (at current odds). She's playing really well just now, and showed she has the potential to handle a Serena-type game in the Lisicki match.

If it makes it to that, I think Caro has a chance against Serena (at least more than the odds give her). Somebody started a thread in GM on this (and got summarily dismissed) but I think the only way you beat Serena right now is to get her moving without giving her much to hit (easier said than done), like Vika in the second set against her. The commentators talk about her fitness, but I'm not seeing that -- I think she could end up looking like Svetlana in a long 3-set match.

postalblowfish Sep 6th, 2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownInAHole (Post 20200494)
But...what if she plays Caroline in the final?

Yeah, well. Long way to go on that one yet.

DownInAHole Sep 6th, 2011 06:37 PM

Huh, play has been cancelled for the day. Weather permitting, tomorrow should be an exciting day of tennis.

Chrissie-fan Sep 6th, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NedRise (Post 20200503)
If it makes it to that, I think Caro has a chance against Serena (at least more than the odds give her). Somebody started a thread in GM on this (and got summarily dismissed) but I think the only way you beat Serena right now is to get her moving without giving her much to hit (easier said than done), like Vika in the second set against her. The commentators talk about her fitness, but I'm not seeing that -- I think she could end up looking like Svetlana in a long 3-set match.

Making a long three-set match out of it is the hard part of course. I'm not sure what Caroline should do. Trying to move Serena around without giving her much to hit is an option for Vika because she hits with more pace than Caroline. I don't know. I remember Capriati doing well against Serena by hitting to the middle of the court and not giving her any angles. Serena used to make more UE than usual in those matches.

TennisFan66 Sep 6th, 2011 07:00 PM

I like the idea of this thread very much! Like Chrissie I too venture into Generally Mental today. Same ol', same 'ol. No purpose what-so-ever of going there. All attempt at a level headed discussion is quickly trolled out by the usual suspects.

QF
Fingers and toes crossed for Caroline!
Impossible to see anything but a Serena win.
Kerber isnt all that bad, but the routine of Penetta to carry her through.
Stosur Vs Vera. This is a toss up for me. Stosur, I believe, has won their last 7 encounters! Vera has the better hard court game.Windy advantage for Vera, but isnt handling Sam's 'spin* as well as wind *Flips a coin*