Tennis Forum banner

Drop Tennis from Olympics - Yes or No? - What`s your opinon?

1K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  Persian 
#1 · (Edited)
On the ATP board they have discussed about the statement of Mats Wilander who said he would prefer to drop Tennis from the Olympics. :fiery:

Many of the guys there made suggestions to change the modus Tennis is played at the Olympics.

In my opinion Tennis should stay part of the Olympics. I remember Barcelona 1992 when they broadcasted the Tennis tournaments on two extra channels here in Germany. So I was able to watch the brilliant final of the women`s tournament Jennifer Capriati (3) vs. Steffi Graf (1). My dream came true when Jenny won it 3/6, 6/3, 6/4! :hearts:

At Atlanta 1996 I was proud to see Lindsay Davenport as the Champion. I wanted her to win because Jennifer wasn`t nominated to play in Atlanta.

At Sydney 2000 Venus Williams won the Gold Medal. I didn`t like that. I wanted Lindsay to win there again and I was frustrated that they didn`t nominate Jennifer again although her ranking was good enough. It was hard to choose the right players because Lindsay, Jennifer, Monica and both Williams were very close with their rankings like it is today. But they should have chosen Jennifer instead of Monica or V. Williams.....

In my opinion Tennis should stay part of the Olympics as I said.
It should stay the way it was: Two Singles players, some countries get a Wild Card for a third Singles player. Two players who represent their country in Doubles. But it should be allowed to nominate two other players, not only one and a player who plays Singles has to play Doubles, too, like it was at Sydney.

I think they should have bigger draws. 96 players perhaps as it is played at the Liptons. Then players from smaller countries would have the chance to be part of the Olympics. I didn`t like the fact that some countries had the chance to nominate four players in a draw of 64 players at Sydney. I think it was too much.

In a draw with 96 players it would be possible to nominate 3 singles players for the big tennis nations + one Wild Card. I think it would be great to see players like Sfar, Mouthassine, Selyutina, Cho, Widjaja.....at the Olympics.

So my suggestion: 96 players, 32 seeds with first round byes, big tennis nations with 3 players + Wild Card. The Doubles draw with 32 teams is okay.

What`s your opinion?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think they should have a team event and on Olympic year, Davis Cup and Fed cup will not be played, this can be easily coordinated since Davis Cup, Fed Cup and Olympics are all owned by ITF

#3 ·
yes i agree on u,i like tennis at Olympics and i'm sure players like it too.i remember many players who were very proud and happy to win a medal,like Lindsay,Andre,Venus,Kafelnikov,and Jennifer vs Steffi in Barcelona was a great match so i think tennis should stay but change something.

#6 ·
Croat123, you are right but if there is a draw with 96 players then S. Williams will have a bye at first and she will start playing in the second round.

And if it stays the way it was then e. g. the USA would nominate both Williams, Jenny and WC Lindsay if you are going with the rankings. I know Monica has a better ranking but I think they would nominate Lindsay.

That means that the USA has it`s four players and can`t have one more. Then the next countries would be France, Belgium, Spain.....

So you can`t prevent to have players from small countries in the draw who are possibly ranked 600 in the world. And perhaps that player would have to face S. Williams in the second round.....

#11 ·
NO!!

#14 ·
No it should stay but i think it should become a team event with 2 singles and 1 doubles maybe the final can be 4 singles 1 doubles.

#18 ·
I think tennis should be part of the Olympics, but only if they change the rules so that the best players can play. For the US and Italy to have sent the same number of singles players last time was ridiculous. Also, I'd ease the Fed Cup restrictions.

#22 ·
I think the Olympics title will become increasingly important - it is the ultimate honour to represent your country in a Greek legend. The Olympics is about sport in the human civilisation and in a way is even more of an award than the Grand Slams - tennis players will soon realize this and when all start competing it will be up there with the Grand Slams.

so NO!

#23 ·
You can't just have the best players.

in other sports its the same rule
e.g. Athletics/swimming etc, you're only allowed 3 from 1 country.

#25 ·
changing the rule to a bigger draw (128/256/512???) would mean the tourn lasting a month :rolleyes: and there is no way most of them would stay there that long without no income.
besides the games only last 16 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.