TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Fabulous Flavia's Forces (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=667)
-   -   Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=428289)

peanuts Feb 4th, 2011 11:01 AM

Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition

Hey all! Wiwa and I think it would be nice if we have a thread to discuss and review Flavia's matches (singles/doubles). You know strategy, tactics and such. (Yes, she actually employs a strategy in her matches. :p) Stuff you think she should have done better or stuff you think she has done right.

(Now, wiwa you better come in here or I would be just talking to myself alone in here. :o :help:)

wiwa Feb 4th, 2011 11:44 AM

Re: Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition

Yeah, Thank you, peanuts :)

I know it from soccer/football in Germany: We have 82 million coaches in front of the TV. That's why we are so good and beat all other nations.:bounce: (Sometimes we don't beat Italy :fiery: )

So let's try to apply some of this magic to Flavia, no? ;):secret::tennis:

Of course not everyone can be right. I think it's gonna be fun anyway :)

peanuts Feb 4th, 2011 01:44 PM

You should get all the credit. It's your idea. Sofa-coaching. :lol: Football fans are such a crazy bunch. :p

Yeah, hopefully we'll have some fun discussions about Flavia's tennis here. In honor of this thread, I'll get my lazy ass to work on uploading to YouTube her AO match against Peer and the doubles semis. ;) I still haven't seen how she managed that comeback against Peer. :o

wiwa Feb 4th, 2011 02:36 PM

Good idea to put Flavias matches into YouTube. Although my feeling is, shouldn't we focus mainly on the most recent matches? Old matches are like an old newspapers. We can refer back to them when needed. What do you think?

peanuts Feb 4th, 2011 03:03 PM

Yep definitely focus more on newer matches. The thoughts from watching the match is easier to recall. :yeah: Speaking of new Flavia matches...she's playing her Fed Cup match vs Sam tomorrow. Bet365 will be streaming it. :woohoo: Hope you can watch it too.

And yeah more people can see her matches if it's also uploaded on YouTube so I try to upload what I can. :D

FORZA SARITA Feb 4th, 2011 03:10 PM

plz upload all the videos you have :inlove:

peanuts Feb 4th, 2011 04:50 PM

^I will soon. :) Meanwhile, I'll be posting in the videos thread past matches that I have already uploaded back then in youtube. Just in case you guys are interested in watching them again. ;)

peanuts Feb 6th, 2011 02:47 AM

Fed Cup: Flavia beats Sam 7-6, 6-7, 6-3

I thought Flavia should have taken this in straight sets. She was two points away in that tiebreak but made a bad miss on an easy putaway to give Sam the slight opening. Overall, I didn't think she played that well, made some easy miss on volleys by being a little too casual and made a handful of UEs on easy putaways. One positive though is to see Flavia being more aggressive--taking her chances on the net whenever she gets a short ball.

This is the first time I've seen them play against each other and it's amazing to see how well Flavia's game matches up against Sam. Flavia may not be that tall but that kick serve goes right into her strongest shot, the backhand. I thought she was also reading Sam's serve quite well. And more often Sam is forced to hit her backhand and slice it as Flavia was able to engage her in long crosscourt backhand rallies. What I find most impressive though is how well Flavia was able to put Sam in the most awkward positions on a lot of rallies. Sam is not the best mover out there especially when she's pulled wide so I thought this was a good strategy from Flavia.

peanuts Feb 6th, 2011 05:15 AM

Fed Cup: Flavietta def. Groth 6-3, 6-2 and seals the tie for Italia

Not much to say on this one. Flavia was too consistent for Groth. From time to time, when Flavia go the chance to take the initiative in the rallies she managed to squeezed in a few down the line forehand winners and also whack away some backhand ROS that got me :bigclap:. Overall though Flavia did not need to do much as Groth more often than not will hit an UE even during the most neutral rallies.

marinaRU Feb 6th, 2011 05:29 AM

I missed it all ....

wiwa Feb 6th, 2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuts (Post 19110907)
Fed Cup: Flavia beats Sam 7-6, 6-7, 6-3

I thought Flavia should have taken this in straight sets. She was two points away in that tiebreak but made a bad miss on an easy putaway to give Sam the slight opening. Overall, I didn't think she played that well, made some easy miss on volleys by being a little too casual and made a handful of UEs on easy putaways. One positive though is to see Flavia being more aggressive--taking her chances on the net whenever she gets a short ball.

This is the first time I've seen them play against each other and it's amazing to see how well Flavia's game matches up against Sam. Flavia may not be that tall but that kick serve goes right into her strongest shot, the backhand. I thought she was also reading Sam's serve quite well. And more often Sam is forced to hit her backhand and slice it as Flavia was able to engage her in long crosscourt backhand rallies. What I find most impressive though is how well Flavia was able to put Sam in the most awkward positions on a lot of rallies. Sam is not the best mover out there especially when she's pulled wide so I thought this was a good strategy from Flavia.

yeah she said the same in her post match interview. The first part she didn't say ;)

Glad that she found her angle game this time. Against Kvitova she always got counterattacked. I was a little afraid that the same could happen against Groth :o

peanuts Feb 7th, 2011 03:02 AM

^I haven't read her post match interview. Just the post match on-court interview where she said that she loves to play for her country--which we all already know. :lol:

Nah Groth doesn't have the controlled aggression nor the ball-bashing flair of Kvitova. This is the first time I've seen her play and my goodness she's a UE machine. :tape: Good serve but easily loses the plot once you get her on neutral rallies. Besides, Kvitova is a lefty so it's quite tricky for anyone to play against her.

wiwa Feb 15th, 2011 04:25 PM

according to Zamboni, Penne is now #1 in Doubles. @Peanuts, your Avatar could be outdated soon ;)

Though, it was pretty close. According to the scoreboard, Schiavetta served strong but played the rest awfull. They'll probably not win over Peschke/Srebotnik (nor will they ever win the Olympic games, I guess).

peanuts Feb 16th, 2011 03:20 AM

^I know! :lol: Still it says part of no.1 doubles team so it's still technically correct since they are indeed the no.1 team. Haha!

Fantasy Hero Feb 21st, 2011 11:10 AM

nice idea ;)