TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   College tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1019)
-   -   Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=356807)

gouci Sep 14th, 2008 10:03 PM

Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

9/20/08 Pacific Pro-Am - Pacific

9/20/08 Aggie Pro/Am - UC Davis

9/26/08 Cal Fall Invitational - LBS, Pacific, UC Davis (Cal, Fresno State, Arizona St., BYU, Sacramento St., St. Mary's, Minnesota, Nevada, USF, Arizona, Santa Clara)

9/27/08 Riviera All-American (pre-qualifying) - Cal Poly, UCI, CSUN

9/30/08 Riviera All-American (qualifying) - Cal Poly, LBS

10/9/08 Hawaii Tournament - UCSB (TCU, Hawaii)

10/10/08 Cal State Fullerton Fall Intercollegiates - Cal Poly, LBS, UCI, CSUN, UCR, CSF (UCLA, New Mexico St., LMU)

10/10/08 St. Mary's Invitational - Pacific, UC Davis (Cal, Stanford, Washington, Boise St., St. Mary's, Nevada, USF, Portland, Santa Clara, San Jose St.)

10/17/08 ITA Northwest Regionals - Cal Poly, Pacific, UC Davis (Stanford, Cal, Fresno St., Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Sac St., St. Mary's, USF)

10/23/08 ITA West Regionals - LBS, UCI, CSUN, UCSB, UCR, CSF (UCLA, USC, Arizona St., Pepperdine, SDSU, Arizona, LMU, USD)

11/07/08 San Diego State Fall Classic - UCI (Washington, Oklahoma, Colorado, SDSU, USD)

11/08/08 Cal State Northridge Invitational - CSUN, UCSB, CSF (Pepperdine, BYU, Boise St., LMU)

11/14/08 UC Irvine Invitational - UCI, UCR (LMU, NAU, Montana)

11/14/08 Cal Poly Invitational - Cal Poly, UCSB (USF)

1/16/09 Cal Winter Invitational - Cal Poly (Cal, St. Mary's, Nevada)

gouci Sep 14th, 2008 10:23 PM

Re: Big West - 2008 Fall Tournaments

Jenifer Widjaja puts the "pro" in Pacific's Pro-Am tournament. :lol:

UCSB is going to Hawaii instead of playing the Cal State Fullerton Intercollegiates this year. Guess the Big West will have to wait until the ITA West Regionals to see the 4 new UCSB players in action.

gouci Sep 14th, 2008 10:36 PM

Riviera All-American

Markoff / Matzenauer have been bumped up into the pre-qualifying doubles draw. It will be interesting to see how these 2 play together. Will this team put Cal Poly over the top in winning the crucial doubles point in critical Big West matches?

gouci Sep 18th, 2008 06:23 AM

Hawaii Tournament

Last year both UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge played in the Hawaii tournament. CSUN had a player from Hawaii, Brooke Doane. UCI had 2 players from Hawaii in Jessica Broadfoot and Heidi Kaloi.
What's UCSB's excuse? :lol:

I wonder if playing in Hawaii was a condition to signing the players from Hawaii or just a perk in the schedule? :lol:

gouci Sep 21st, 2008 11:42 PM

Re: Hawaii Tournament

UC Irvine's schedule hasn't been released yet but I figured out they will be playing Hawaii and San Diego State in Hawaii starting 1/29/09.

UCI passed on the ITA Team Indoors beginning 2/1/09. Guess they wanted to stay in Hawaii longer instead of playing against Baylor in Waco, Texas. :lol:

form Sep 22nd, 2008 03:19 PM

Location... definitely an upgrade :yeah:

Value to the tennis team and conference ranking... :timebomb:

But I guess it is consistent with the general value set of many kids these days too... 'entitlement' over earned results

:sad:

gouci Sep 22nd, 2008 09:32 PM

Wow looks like you've discovered the "More" link for the smilies. :worship:

Does women's tennis even rank the conferences? If so please show me where to find this information.

1.Even if they have conference rankings this is not like men's basketball where the committee can define their own criteria to selecting the at-large berths. In tennis besides an exception or two, a lower ranked team will not get in over a higher ranked team. They've been doing it strictly by the rankings.

2. Tennis rankings do not work like the baseball or basketball RPI formula where your opponent's opponents are factored in. In tennis it's about your win-loss record and how many other ranked teams you've beaten. The year UCI was eligible for an at-large berth I carefully studied how the rankings worked.

3. In tennis the top 45 ranked teams are almost always locks to get at-large berths. In basketball you can have an RPI of 25 but have your bubble burst because your record against the top 50 wasn't good enough or whatever bogus excuses the selection committee comes up with to get more BCS teams in. Unlike football or basketball, tennis is not biased in favor of the BCS schools. That's why a mid-major school like Pepperdine men can win a national title. A mid-major is not going to win a national title in football or men's hoops.

4. Bottom line is that in tennis conference rankings don't account for anything. However individual team rankings account for everything.

form Sep 22nd, 2008 10:00 PM

ITA slipped up once last year and for about 30 minutes posted the entire 300+ team RPI.... but I can't find that hard copy anymore. It was stunning at some teams in the 200's.

No, never seen an official conference ranking.

Yes, its all your wins/losses compared to your opponents wins losses. So there is no direct math... just in direct. However, the current rankings do under value direct head to head results when seeding the tournaments (team, singles, doubles)

UCI got in to NCAA's based on one 4-3 win over LB... and rode that for nearly a year because of the 'coaches subjective poll' until the computer kicked back in last March... ironically they did not even reach final that year due to injury that season. It would have been interesting if UCI had held onto big lead vs CP in semis and reached a red hot LB in the finals instead. Would have cancelled out the first win in the computer? :bounce:

LB got hurt in reverse last year... easy wins over Arizona (was in 40's then), Purdue (50's then), USD, Penn (held in 50-60) and UCI (30's when beat but fell to 64). If you ever said a BW team would sweep league and beat UA, Purdue, SDSU, USD and Penn all in the same year... and drop to 50... nobody would have thunk it. But everybody went south last year. :fiery:

I'd say # 42 is locked... last year a number of odd results moved some people out of their usual spots (Oregon, UA, some others back east)... :rolleyes:

Conference ranking no... but playing a 'closed' schedule really helps the bottom half teams in the Pac, Big 10 etc who thus get ranked losses instead of losing to non-conference 35-60 ranked teams. A Top 30 ranked loss is a no harm no foul day. Let some other teams beat up the lower end BCS schools a bit more and watch things swing around. But Wazoo and UO manage to split with each other and artificially bolster themselves.

Personally, I would be curious if the NCAA's had a Final 8 like baseball and softball instead of 16... Do a 4 team regional, a 4 team super regional where you would actually see some real competition in the Round of 32 and 16.... and then an 8 team finals. It would make round 3 and 4 much more open to everyone... and be interesting to see the pressure rise at some of those Top 16 schools that 'make it' every year but never advance.
:devil:

gouci Sep 23rd, 2008 11:27 PM

Cal Invitational

Top singles players

07 Marina Cossou (Cal)
12 Melanie Gloria (Fresno State)
16 Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
19 Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
20 Kelcy McKenna (Arizona State)
21 Katrina Zheltova (Sacramento State)
22 Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Danielle Steinberg (Arizona)
58 Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
62 Jenni Heinser (San Francisco)
64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State)
65 Bojana Bobusic (Cal)
86 Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
91 Caroline Bailly (Nevada)
96 Kristina Doerr (BYU)
112 Jessica Hoath (St. Mary's)

Alessandra Ferrazzi - Minnesota
McCall Jones - BYU

Ranked doubles teams

01 Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
08 Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
13 Laila Abdala and Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
22 Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Caroline Bailly and Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
32 Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch (Arizona)
41 Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein (Arizona State)

Cal Nike Invitational

gouci Sep 23rd, 2008 11:43 PM

Re: Riviera All-American

Claire Fermin - Rebecca Kwan of UCI and Brooke Doane - Evgeniya Vertesheva of CSUN have been bumped up into the pre-qualifying doubles draw of the Riviera.

Tennisace Sep 24th, 2008 02:09 PM

Re: Cal Invitational

Quote:

Originally Posted by gouci (Post 14119609)
Top singles players

07 Marina Cossou (Cal)
12 Melanie Gloria (Fresno State)
16 Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
19 Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
20 Kelcy McKenna (Arizona State)
21 Katrina Zheltova (Sacramento State)
22 Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Danielle Steinberg (Arizona)
58 Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
62 Jenni Heinser (San Francisco)
64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State)
65 Bojana Bobusic (Cal)
86 Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
91 Caroline Bailly (Nevada)
96 Kristina Doerr (BYU)
112 Jessica Hoath (St. Mary's)

Alessandra Ferrazzi - Minnesota
McCall Jones - BYU

Ranked doubles teams

01 Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe (Fresno State)
08 Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova (Fresno State)
13 Laila Abdala and Nadia Abdala (Arizona State)
22 Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)
26 Caroline Bailly and Maria Mizyuk (Nevada)
32 Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch (Arizona)
41 Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein (Arizona State)

Cal Nike Invitational

That is a very strong singles line-up but I doubt everyone will play. I thought I heard news that Tinesta had turned pro? But I guess not. I'm interested to see how McCall Jones will transition to the college game.

Don't forget there is a live feed for the Cal Nike Invitational as well!

gouci Sep 24th, 2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisace (Post 14122183)
That is a very strong singles line-up but I doubt everyone will play. I thought I heard news that Tinesta had turned pro? But I guess not. I'm interested to see how McCall Jones will transition to the college game.

Don't forget there is a live feed for the Cal Nike Invitational as well!

Tennisace thanks for the tip about the live feed!

How do you know if someone is playing Future and Challenger Events as an amateur or pro? How do you know someone has turned pro, is there a database on some website to verify this?

form Sep 24th, 2008 04:43 PM

Tennisace, do you know the link for this weekend at Cal?

I looked on their web page and did not see one.

Thanks for the tip. It looks to be a mother of a pre-season tourney. Talk about staring off right in the deep end.

Tennisace Sep 24th, 2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by form (Post 14123121)
Tennisace, do you know the link for this weekend at Cal?

I looked on their web page and did not see one.

Thanks for the tip. It looks to be a mother of a pre-season tourney. Talk about staring off right in the deep end.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-te...ebcast-07.html

If that doesn't work for some reason, go to calbears.com and go to the women's tennis page. On the left hand side there is a picture of Cristina Visico...that's the link for the live video.

gouci Sep 24th, 2008 07:33 PM

Re: Riviera All-American

Cal State Northridge has changed the team of Doane/Vertesheva into Doane/Kukla and Vertesheva/Jaworowski. CSUN will now have 2 teams in the Riviera prequalifying doubles draw.