TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   College tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1019)
-   -   2009-2010 recruiting - "speculation only" (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=347218)

gouci Jun 21st, 2008 05:48 AM

2009-2010 recruiting - "speculation only"

How about testing how well you know the recruiting tendencies of the teams that you follow?

Take your "best guesses" about which incoming high school seniors your program will target then sign for the 2009-2010 season. Post your speculations here and then see how many or if any of them come to fruition in November. :bounce: It's most fun doing this before the recruits indicate in the upcoming months which schools they're interested in. I'll get it started.

UC Irvine

Nelly Radeva - good chance - Former doubles partner Brooke Bartlett plays for UCI.

Fidan Manashirova - good chance - From NorCal & ranked in mid-30's nationally, falls into UCI recruiting area & range.

Stephanie Hoffpauir - good chance - From San Diego & ranked in mid-40's, falls into UCI recruiting area & range.

Catherine Isip - medium chance - May pick UCI if USC doesn't have a 'ship for her.

Danielle Lao - medium chance - Stock has climbed into the blue chip neighborhood, may have risen above UCI range.

Thien Trang Nguyen - medium chance - From Long Beach. UCI coach has ties to Long Beach Tennis Patrons.

Bianca Modoc - remote chance - Former top 40 player whose ranking is back on the rise.

Stefanie Villajuan - remote chance - UCI's Clare Fermin from same HS. Good chance if willing to walk on.

USC

Asia Muhammad - good chance - Been nationally ranked in the top 10 the last 4 years & indicated high interest in USC.

Catherine Isip - medium chance - Indicated high interest in USC, but Trojans only have 1 'ship opening up in 09-10 and Muhammad is ranked higher.

gouci Jun 22nd, 2008 04:27 PM

Re: "Speculation Only" 2009-2010 recruiting class targets

Per request here is projection for Long Beach State.

Long Beach State

Lisa Whybourn - medium chance - From Great Britain & ITF in 180's, maybe Lisa was born to become a 49er.

Hannah James - medium chance - From Great Britain & ITF in 180's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Lareesa Easterbrook - medium chance - From Great Britain & ITF in 190's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Tiffany Mai - remote chance

Kelly Blake - remote chance - From Australia & ITF in 200's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Olivia Rogowska - remote chance - From Australia & ITF in 370's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Veronika Makovey - remote chance - From Australia & ITF in 390's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Jordain Dobbins - remote chance - From Great Britain & ITF in 400's, falls into LBS recruiting area & range.

Tennisace Jun 24th, 2008 06:31 PM

Re: "Speculation Only" 2009-2010 recruiting class targets

Alison Riske
If she's going to college, odds are she'll head to Vanderbilt. Her sister played there and in an interview (I read about 9 months ago) she stated that she would go to Vanderbilt. That being said I can see her turning pro or at least taking a year off. But she also seemed grounded enough that she would just go to college.

Tayler Davis
I think Cal might be on the short list. She has a friend, who is a rising sophomore, on the team so that might influence her choice. But given that she goes to a private school, I can see her heading to the Ivy League (Harvard, Yale, Princeton).

Zoe De Bruycker
This is based purely on speculation. I see her wanting to go to Stanford and normally I would say she has a shot but with only one scholarship (Jessica Nguyen), I'm not quite sure she's good enough. It'll probably go to someone higher ranked. I can see her heading to Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

Tanya Raykova
I don't know if she's going to go to college straight away. I can see her taking a year off to try the pros. Based on the fact that she is at the Ojai Academy, I give the edge to California and Georgia Tech. A lot of the male players at her academy currently go to Cal (three off the top of my head) and I believe Rebecca Marino's visit to Cal last year was one reason why she went. I also say Georgia Tech because Flower (who is also from the same academy) obviously went to GT.

California tenis players
Currently 17 of the top 50 players are from California. Unfortunately for them USC and Stanford only have 1 scholarship, UCLA has 2 scholarships, and Cal has at least 2 scholarships for this cohort. I think this is a good chance for Cal to get some higher ranked players from within the state, but odds are most are heading outside.

gouci Jun 27th, 2008 07:02 PM

Re: 2009-2010 recruiting - "speculation only"

Cierra Gaytan-Leach
Heard coaches from Northwestern, Oregon and Pepperdine were all in attendence at her SoCal Sectional consolation match.

Amalgamate Jun 28th, 2008 05:21 AM

Tayler Davis is going to Cal.
Cierra Gaytan-Leach is not looking at any of those schools. She has narrowed it down to one of the Arizona's (don't remember which) and UT.

hammerhead Jun 30th, 2008 05:49 PM

A friend who knows Alexa Glatch's family told me she has been accepted to UCLA (on academic merit) but I'm pretty sure she can't/won't play tennis because she turned pro a while ago.

gouci Jul 6th, 2008 07:33 AM

2009-2010 transfer candidates - "speculation only"

The following players have disappeared from their school's roster and may become transfer candidates.

Ex. (player name) - (recruiting class)(star rating) - (disappeared from school roster of)

gouci Jul 20th, 2008 08:38 AM

UC Irvine

Brynn Boren
Medium chance - May have changed mind about taking a year off before college. From the same Advantage Tennis Academy as UCI sophomore Ali Welliver. Ranked in 50's nationally, falls into UCI recruiting area & range.

Jessica Kwan
Medium chance - May walk-on at UCI to join older sister Rebecca Kwan.

gouci Aug 3rd, 2008 05:11 AM

UC Riverside

Melissa Cecil - good chance - Falls into UCR recruiting area & range.

Tennisace Aug 6th, 2008 01:30 PM

Speculation no longer, Tayler Davis is heading to Cal next year.

gouci Aug 21st, 2008 04:12 AM

UC Davis

Eleanor Edles
Good chance - 3 star player who's broken into the top 130. UC Davis has the best combination of academics & tennis program from the schools of high interest she's listed. Falls into UCD recruiting area & range.

Stephanie Villajuan
Remote chance - Junior doubles partner of Eleanor Edles. UC Davis has 4 schollies to fill for 2009-2010. If Edles goes there Villajuan may end up following. Falls into UCD recruiting area & range.

Amalgamate Aug 21st, 2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisace (Post 13777129)
Speculation no longer, Tayler Davis is heading to Cal next year.

I could have told you this for sure about a year ago...

gouci Sep 18th, 2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gouci (Post 13893300)
UC Davis :secret:

Eleanor Edles
Good chance - 3 star player who's broken into the top 130. UC Davis has the best combination of academics & tennis program from the schools of high interest she's listed. Falls into UCD recruiting area & range.

:singer: . Speculation no longer, Eleanor Edles has given a verbal to play at UC Davis.
Edles will most likely be re-classified as a 4 star player when the new player ratings come out in October. She might even break into the top 100 by the early signing period in November. Edles will be reunited with former doubles partner Dahra Zamudio at UCD.

gouci Sep 20th, 2008 05:27 AM

USC

Blue chip players Catherine Isip and Adrianna Colffer have both recently dropped their long time high interest in USC. This leads me to speculate that USC, which currently has only 1 scholarship open for 2009-2010, has turned down both girls :confused: and recently received a commitment from a higher ranked blue chip or international player.

A few players that are higher ranked and have had an interest in USC include Jacqueline Cako and Allie Will. Asia Muhammad wanted to go to USC but she turned pro instead so it's not her. Going by their recruiting history my best guess is that this hypothetical USC commit is from California. That would make Julia Boserup, Stacey Tan and Pamela Montez leading candidates.

form Sep 22nd, 2008 03:44 PM

Stephanie Villajuan (4* #120, peaked at 93 in June; from Anaheim, CA)had verballed to Louisville