TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Kirilenko's Orchestra (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593)
-   -   Maria Interviews (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=341677)

only_one_maria May 9th, 2008 12:23 PM

Maria Interviews

I was just thinking that we have a thread for Maria pictures so we can look at her and threads for all her tournaments so we can follow her results. But to get to know the real person all we really have are interviews - unless you are lucky enough to have met her! I was on her official site and in the forum there is an extensive interview with her from 2006. It was conducted in Russian and has been re-written in English - needless to say there is something a little lost in translation of the interview. But obviously Maria was speaking in her native tongue and better able to express herself than when she speaks English. A couple of her responses really intrigued me:

Do you have a favourite person? Who is it?

Certainly, who my favourite person is, is not interesting and is extraneous.

When was the last time you spoke to someone you love?

You know actually there are a lot of people on a regular basis who speak to me in love. It is so ridiculous! But what it is possible to do with it, if I like many people?

Masha Sharapova?

Yes, Masha in general is a classy girl! We have been friends since our childhood.She has made in sports already enormous results. Masha is my good friend. I am not going to envy her as I consider that my career is all in my hands.

Well you must envy somebody?

You know envy is a very bad feeling. I do not argue it is present in each person. In some it is less, in some it is more. But in fact each person always has a chance. It is necessary to take advantage of this chance, and it is not necessary to be envious of anybody.

I really like the way she seems really sweet, but quite intense and serious too when she wants to be. There's obviously tons of interviews with her on the internet, so if you find anything new about Maria that seems interesting, post it here.

Krzysiu. May 9th, 2008 03:36 PM

Re: Maria Interviews

Quote:

When was the last time you spoke to someone you love?
What a question! :eek:

only_one_maria May 12th, 2008 05:04 PM

I wonder if in her answer to that question, she is referring to her fans. I mean our love is a bit ridiculous. But Maria seems happy with her fans.

Krzysiu. May 12th, 2008 08:18 PM

Could you rewrite this question and answer in some other words? I don't know what did she mean. The fans tell her: "We love you!" and this is ridiculous or what the hell??

only_one_maria May 13th, 2008 09:21 AM

I agree it's a bit confusing, but it's from a translation of what she said in russian into English. She appears to be saying that there are many people (presumably fans) who claim to love her and this is a bit ridiculous. But she then appears to claim that it is SHE who is fond of THEM.

Unlike in English, I believe there are many words in Russian for what we woul call love. So she may mean slightly different things each time she uses the word.

Krzysiu. May 13th, 2008 09:35 AM

This translation seems to tell us: "Hey, you bastards called fans who do adore me! I'm hot and I can't help it!".

Krzysiu. May 13th, 2008 12:00 PM

I'd like to read some more interviews from Russian media. Maria speaks more open and express her feelings as it's quite hard for her in English.

Lese-Ratte May 15th, 2008 11:20 AM

« Maria is very good friend with my 13 years old daughter and they have a lot of fun together » told Eric Van Harpen recently on Maria website. Laura Van Harpen accepted to answer to this quick interview.
Laura, do you remember the first time you met Maria ?
I remember meeting Maria, i think it was on a train, that went to Eastbourne last year. I came from London, where I live and met my dad and Maria at a station, where they also boarded the train. I remember that there was a newspaper and she was in it. It was for Wimbledon, a ones to watch list. The first moment I met her, she was just so nice and it was like I knew her forever !

What can you said about Maria personality ?
First, she is a very nice person, and we laugh a lot. She is never in bad mood and very positive. She always has a lot to say and we never get bored. It is just nice to be around her !

What do you think of Maria, the tennis player ? Do you play tennis with her sometimes ?
She is so talented, my dad always says that, she has to concentrate more in her game and understand and she will improve so quickly. That is why clay is good for her, because the game is slower and you have more time to watch the opponent and what is going on. I am always there when she practices and when my dad comes late or he is gone for some minutes and she had her break. She is always the one saying, come on Laura, let’s play a couple of minutes. Once we played doubles together. When we went for dinner, she made a bet that her and me would win easily against the owner and her father. And so, we played one set and we won 6-1. Their faces where so funny, what a victory !

Eric told me that you are very good friend with Maria. Are you friend with the others tennis players coached before by your father ?
Yes, Maria is a very good friend. Like I said, we giggle all the time and laugh. I think because now my dad is with Maria, we spend more time together as I do with other players. But yes, you know, growing up there have been many different players and none of them didn’t like me coming on tour or something. So yes Kournikova, I was very little but I remember that my mum and her always planned crazy things and somehow, I was always involved. Ivanovic is also so nice, I am always glad to see her at tournaments. And I remember the first time I met Sharapova which was in Mallorca 2003 or 2004. I jumped into her arms because my dad told me how nice she was and all. I collected sticks and wrote her name with them on the court. (smile) All the players I know are really very friendly, and if you met them you wouldn’t think they are famous. They are all so healthy mentally and so normal.

Do you play tennis ? Do you follow your father in all his travel with Maria all around the world ?
Well, I do school, even though it gets tough sometimes. I play tournaments too, so often I miss a couple of lessons, but I play everyday. In my holidays I usually travel with my dad and Maria. I play everyday when I am with my dad too. And I always get motivated when Maria trains or plays before me.

Last question, could tell me an anecdote, a funny moment of life you live with Maria.
Like I said we laugh all the time. It might just be one thing that we have seen before and we just look at each other and start laughing. But one thing was when we were in Dubai, where the pictures where taken. It was sunday so we both didn’t play tennis, and we said that we should take a walk by the beach. But when we were at the beach, we remembered that we were there already one week and then we barely had taken pictures. So in the end, we only walked 100 meters and took 200 photos, trust me we took a lot.

This hotel was an Al Habtoor Resort and spa, and he gave us a huge suite that had four bedrooms, with bathrooms, three living rooms, a huge kitchen and dining space. So after the beach, we went back up and we took pictures with vases doing as if they were trophies and kissing them and all. And we saw how my dad and hers were playing and we decided to scare them when they came back up (we were sharing the same suite). Then each of us took a pillow as we heard the door opening and leaned over the door to see if it was them. Actually Maria did that, and I started laughing because I was thinking, maybe it could be someone wanting to clean up the suite, and it was. So we started giggling but he didn’t hear us. We waited and heard how the footsteps came closer. And the man was shocked as he saw the two of us there, next to him holding pillows. I looked at mine, and said that I liked the decoration and Maria started laughing like crazy, and we spent the rest of the day laughing everytime we saw a part of staff from the hotel.

Lese-Ratte May 15th, 2008 11:20 AM

see, mkirilenko.com

Krzysiu. May 15th, 2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Then each of us took a pillow a
I wonder if it was that with a tiger on it :lol: