TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Australia (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   The Discovery Thread (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=339507)

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2008 07:53 AM

The Discovery Thread

:)

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2008 07:55 AM

Re: The ''Discovery'' Thread

Fell free to add some names to the list...
I think Hoang trains at the Brisbane NHPA, might go have a look and report back ;)

Mr_Molik Apr 15th, 2008 08:18 AM

no offense, but i think its creepy to be talking about girls that age. they are too young themselves to really know if they want a career in tennis. plus you really can't tell what their tennis future will be like anyway- look at jade hopper.

kittyking Apr 15th, 2008 08:22 AM

I think Emily Fanning is either 13/14, shes got a heap of promise - won a couple of American Under 14 titles

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Molik (Post 12950226)
no offense, but i think its creepy to be talking about girls that age. they are too young themselves to really know if they want a career in tennis. plus you really can't tell what their tennis future will be like anyway- look at jade hopper.

No offence taken :)
But I don't see how it's ''creepy''...I mean we have heard of the likes of Sharapova and Larcher de Brito from around the same age...why not report on the progress of some of the younger Aussies and Kiwis??

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2008 10:01 AM

And it's not like we are talking about anything other than tennis :confused:
As soon as I saw Jade Hopper play, I knew she wouldn't ever live up to the hype

Dani12 Apr 15th, 2008 10:24 AM

Didn't Abby Myers double baegel Teiwa Casey in the u14s final?

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2008 10:36 AM

^^^
Yes she did, but I think that something was not right for Teiwa...obviously Abby was in very good form :)

Mr_Molik Apr 15th, 2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZTENNIS (Post 12950426)
No offence taken :)
But I don't see how it's ''creepy''...I mean we have heard of the likes of Sharapova and Larcher de Brito from around the same age...why not report on the progress of some of the younger Aussies and Kiwis??

maybe creepy isnt the right word.
but for every sharapova there are thousands of girls who burn out, or just never make it. and at such a young age the girls are so often pushed by their parents. im not saying this is always the case, but it often is. which is why i dont think its right to be talking about them on an internet forum. wait until they are atleast 16/17 when they are old enough to make decisions of their own and can actually show signs of their true potential.

OZTENNIS Apr 16th, 2008 05:10 AM

Well regardless of our differing opinions, 14 year old Viktoria Rajicic today won through to the final of the 16s Autumn Nationals, beating Alexandra Nancarrow 6-4 6-0. Nancarrow had earlier taken out the top seed Olivia Rich in 3 sets, so obviously Rajicic is in great form.

In the final, Rajicic faces Mia Vriens. Vriens upset Monika Wejnert 6-4 6-4 in the other semi (but I think Monika might be injured as she and Ashleigh Richardson withdrew in the doubles)

OZTENNIS Apr 16th, 2008 05:44 AM

This means that Rajicic is the youngest player to make the final of a 16s Nationals since Tyra Calderwood won the 16s Grasscourt Nationals in 2004, aged 13 years and 7 months. I'm barracking for Rajicic to win the title :bounce:

OZTENNIS Apr 16th, 2008 01:46 PM

Viktorija lost the final to Mia Vriens 6-3 3-6 6-4 ... bad luck but congratulations on an awesome week :)
Viktorija is now joined by Molly Polak and Rachel Pisarev for the World Junior Tennis Competition Asia/Pacific Qualifying Event in China next week

kittyking Apr 17th, 2008 08:54 AM

:woohoo: Well done Mia!

OZTENNIS Apr 25th, 2008 06:10 AM

Australia has progressed through to the semi finals of the World Junior Tennis Competition in Shenzhen, China. Seeded fourth, Viktorija Rajicic, Molly Polak and Rachel Pisarev have done the nation proud...but unlike their male counterparts (who basically received daily write ups on the TA site) have yet to rate a mention on the TA site. The boys finished third overall, and the girls have a good chance to make the final...
Once again, Rajicic has been the star for Australia...she is undefeated winning her singles against Kazkhstan 4-6 6-2 6-1. She also won the doubles with Polak 6-1 6-2. Then against the Philippines, Rajicic won 6-0 6-0 and with Polak won the doubles 6-1 6-2. Against New Zealand, Rajicic thrashed Kiwi No.1 Leela Beattie 6-3 6-0. And yesterday in the quarter final, she won her match against the Indian No.1 6-2 6-1.

Polak has also been just as capable, winning all of her singles matches in straight sets, not dropping any more than 3 games in her matches...obviously she too is in great form :)

Today in the semis, the girls take on Uzbekistan who have beaten both top seeds Japan and second seeds Thailand...it will be very tough...but I have faith ;)

Looks like Victoria has a couple more rising stars in Polak and Rajicic :)

ozfan44 Apr 25th, 2008 06:17 AM

Teiwa Casey is definately one to watch!!