TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Australia (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Marija Mirkovic (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=293559)

OZTENNIS Apr 6th, 2007 10:44 PM

Marija Mirkovic

PLAYER PROFILE

Date of Birth: 23/02/1990
WTA Tour Singles Ranking: No.526
ITF Junior Ranking: No.126
Australian Junior Ranking: No.1
Victorian Junior Ranking: No.1

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

Marija Mirkovic is a 17 year-old Victorian schoolgirl. Born in Serbia, Marija has travelled extensively over the past 15 months, achieving a number of impressive results. She reached the final of the G4 Adelaide ITF Junior Tournament in March, 2006 before going on to win the prestigious Biesterbos Open in the Netherlands in July. From there, Mirkovic went on to accumulate her first WTA Ranking Points with some impressive performances in the Netherlands and Serbia. Marija returned to Australia later in the year - reaching the semi finals of both the 18&Under Nationals and the Wildcard Playoff.

This year, Mirkovic snatched the No.1 Aussie Junior Ranking from Alison Bai, thanks mainly to a fantastic win in the 1st Round of Qualifying for the Australian Open. Marija beat the top 200 ranked South African, Natalie Grandin, 6-1, 7-5 (hitting over 30 winnrs in the process!). Marija Mirkovic now embarks on a new tour of Europe and is scheduled to meet the No.1 seed, Gaelle Widmer, in the first round of qualifying for a 25k in Italy.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAREER, MARIJA :kiss:

SeanyQ Apr 7th, 2007 02:53 AM

Re: Marija Mirkovic (VIC)

Gaelle Widmer's ranked 252, so it will be a good experience for Marija.
I like that she's out there playing the seniors......:)

SeanyQ Apr 7th, 2007 10:54 AM

Widmer d. Mirkovic - 6-4,6-2

Dani12 Apr 7th, 2007 11:05 AM

Not a bad effort. Widmer isn't a bad player. Keep improving Marija ;)

Alicia Rocks Apr 7th, 2007 01:16 PM

Nice effort there :yeah: Hopefully a better draw next time :)

OZTENNIS Apr 11th, 2007 10:20 PM

Marija has a packed schedule over the next couple of weeks. This coming week Marija will play in the 25k in Bari, Italy. For the week of April 23-29, it looks like Mirkovic will rest up before competing in either the 10k in Bournemouth, UK, the 25k in Turkey or another 25k in Italy at the beginning of May. Hopefully with some kinder draws, Marija will be able to rack up a few more WTA Ranking Points

Harvs Apr 13th, 2007 06:53 AM

I was really impressed with her game when I saw her lose to Molik at the AO Wilcard Playoffs... I hope she does really well in the future!!!

Sammy 4 eva!!! Apr 13th, 2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brantharvey (Post 10512773)
I was really impressed with her game when I saw her lose to Molik at the AO Wilcard Playoffs... I hope she does really well in the future!!!

Is she agressive or a counter puncher??

OZTENNIS Apr 13th, 2007 07:05 AM

More or less potential than Jess Moore?

SeanyQ Apr 13th, 2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy 4 eva!!! (Post 10512780)
Is she agressive or a counter puncher??

Aggressive........

SeanyQ Apr 13th, 2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZTENNIS (Post 10512806)
More or less potential than Jess Moore?

Once Jess stops farting about with the juniors, I'd say she'd be the better bet, though Marija has more of an idea in the long run. So hard to tell, Jess is the more naturally talented player though......

Harvs Apr 13th, 2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanyQ (Post 10513282)
Once Jess stops farting about with the juniors, I'd say she'd be the better bet, though Marija has more of an idea in the long run. So hard to tell, Jess is the more naturally talented player though......

Agree with you totally. Marija seems much more of a "made" player such as Sharapova rather than naturally talented like Kuznetsova. From what I saw, I would say that Jess has a better chance at leaving a huge mark on the tour.

SeanyQ Apr 14th, 2007 03:41 AM

Bai - ITA - $25k - Q1 Draw:

526-Mirkovic vs 3/345-Lenka Tvoraskova (SVK).......

Another tough qualifying draw, at least it's good experience....

OZTENNIS Apr 15th, 2007 01:01 AM

Marija Mirkovic (AUS) lt. (3) Lenka Tvoraskova (SVK) 6-7(3), 0-6...

Another good effort against an older, higher ranked opponent

OZTENNIS Apr 19th, 2007 09:52 PM

Marija is the No.10 direct entrant for the 10k event in Naples this coming week. She has then entered the 10k event in Bournemouth where she is the No.1 direct entrant, and will follow this with another 10k in Edinburgh In late May, Marija will compete in a G2 event in Vienna, Austria.