TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Last foreign language movie you saw, and your rating of it! (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=290198)

Mattographer Mar 16th, 2007 05:17 AM

Last foreign language movie you saw, and your rating of it!

That's right, this thread is all about rating the last movie you saw in foreign language! ;)

I'll start with:

Read My Lips (2002, in French) - 4/5.

The sexual tension between Clara, a deaf girl and Paul, an ex-con, in the Hitchcockian sense without copying.

*hingis_forever* Mar 16th, 2007 05:19 AM

Re: Last foreign language movie you saw, and your rating of it!

Pan's Labyrinth - 5/5
Took my breath away! If you haven't seen it, make sure you do! :bounce:

Jeff Mar 16th, 2007 06:05 AM

Pan's Labyrinth, as well. Although I liked it, as well, I give it 4/5.

égalité Mar 16th, 2007 08:17 AM

Pan's Labyrinth- 6/5

Mattographer Mar 16th, 2007 08:49 AM

I knew everyone here would say, "Pan's Labyrinth - 5/5"! :tape: :lol:

I agree with everyone that it's a fantastic movie! :worship:

mandy7 Mar 16th, 2007 09:08 AM

TransAmerica :lol:
9/10

Kuilli Mar 16th, 2007 09:22 AM

The Lives of Others 9/10

Andy_ Mar 16th, 2007 09:23 AM

Well... as a matter of fact, whichever movie I were to watch in English, technically speaking that would be a 'foreign language' movie, to me... but I don't think I can count those, nor that is the aim of this thread, I guess.

So, I think I can say that the last movie at least combining different languages I've seen has been 'The science of sleep' with Gael Garcia Bernal... which includes dialogues in English, French and Spanish (yup, it was a very nice linguistic challenge :p )
I saw it in London a few weeks ago - I don't even know if it has been released here in Italy - and I absolutely loved it. Check it out if you get the chance, especially if you like Gael, like I do :hearts:

The whole approach to dreams and how they mix up with real life is genial, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it again as soon as it's available on DVD, cuz I'm quite sure there are details I've missed and which I'll appreciate even more next time...

DutchieGirl Mar 16th, 2007 10:01 AM

Where is Pan's Labyrinth from? I never heard of it. I can't remember which foreign language film I watched last, but I would assume it was a Dutch one. :lol: I don't have Fox though, so I don't watch foreign language films that often. :(

Greenout Mar 16th, 2007 10:15 AM

A few nights ago. The original Japanese language version the American movie the Grudge.

JU-ON (Japanese 2003) 9/10

Creepy and scary good. A haunted house with some weird sh*t going on to all who go near or dare to thread. The acting is very good, and you never actually see any violence only the hint of the brutality of events past or present with hideous blood splatter or stains. It's all about the lighting, music, and acting. A bit of homage to 60's films like "Wait Until Dark", 70's films by George Romero, a bit of "The Shining" and "Burnt Offerings". I also like the bit with the shadow ghost ala from the original b&w Nosterafu.

You won't be disappointed with the final scenes of the film. I say this film is as good as original Japanese version of RING.

frees Mar 16th, 2007 10:22 AM

Lilja 4-ever, saw it yesterday. (2003, in Russian)

It's a Swedish film about a 16-year-old girl in the former USSR, who is left behind by her mother and who becomes a prostitute to get money.
So sad. :sad:

9/10

Cassius Mar 16th, 2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frees (Post 10296298)
Lilja 4-ever, saw it yesterday. (2003, in Russian)

It's a Swedish film about a 16-year-old girl in the former USSR, who is left behind by her mother and who becomes a prostitute to get money.
So sad. :sad:

9/10

I love that film. Didn't you think it had a happy ending though? Not a traditional happy one, but happy in the circumstances and by what Volodya (sp?) said earlier in the film?

Tsotsi - 8/10

A gangster has to care for a baby of a woman that was killed in a robbery.
Sort of like a South African 'City of God'. Same mould.

Caz Mar 16th, 2007 12:01 PM

A Turkish film called Climates. I watched it at the cinema last Sunday. It very well made artistically, if a little slow at times. Definately worth watching though.

frees Mar 16th, 2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassius (Post 10296543)
I love that film. Didn't you think it had a happy ending though? Not a traditional happy one, but happy in the circumstances and by what Volodya (sp?) said earlier in the film?

Yeah it was. I loved the fact that both of them were playing with the angel wings, it had something poetic about it :) And also the scenes when she talks to Volodya when he is dead already are really nice.

Mattographer Mar 16th, 2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchieGirl (Post 10296211)
Where is Pan's Labyrinth from? I never heard of it. I can't remember which foreign language film I watched last, but I would assume it was a Dutch one. :lol: I don't have Fox though, so I don't watch foreign language films that often. :(

It's a Mexican film, although they setting the movie in Spain because both speaking the same language :lol: You can check it out at an independent cinema such as Dendy. I know they have one in Melbourne at Collins Street :p