TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=288453)

nsquare Mar 3rd, 2007 04:59 AM

What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Do u guys know about the religious inclinations of the top wta players?I have heard that mary is a devout Christian and sania is a pious Muslim but what about the others?Which religion does they believe in? How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?
if u think that this thread is unnecessary, i am really sorry :p

austennis Mar 3rd, 2007 05:02 AM

Re: What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Its interesting and all i can really tell you is that Dinara Safina is a muslim.. because there was talk of her struggling during ramadan last year..

Paneru Mar 3rd, 2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsquare (Post 10199757)
How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?

None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.

drake3781 Mar 3rd, 2007 05:10 AM

I think Mary Pierce is a devout Christian.

I've heard that Safina is not really religious, Muslim family.

Same with the Williams sisters, Jehovah's Witnesses by family but not practicing.

(Am I right about all that?)

drake3781 Mar 3rd, 2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paneru (Post 10199777)
None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.

Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.

barmaid Mar 3rd, 2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake3781 (Post 10199783)
Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.

Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!:angel:

barmaid:wavey:

nsquare Mar 3rd, 2007 05:58 AM

Maria very often wears a cross.Is she a devout Christian?What about juju and momo?Are there any players who regularly pray on court?I mean , there are many soccer players who make the sign of the cross, or kneel down after they have scored a goal.So are there any wta players who regularly thank God after match victories?Is anabel medina a muslim or a christian?Are nadia and kuzzie nonbelievers?I think that religion still plays a very important role in our 21st century world so there is no harm in talking about the religious interests of top players.

DutchieGirl Mar 3rd, 2007 06:14 AM

Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...

hwanmig Mar 3rd, 2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchieGirl (Post 10199950)
Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...

I guess we share the same belief or lack of;) .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.

antonella Mar 3rd, 2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmig (Post 10199997)
Elena does not look like the religious type

:haha: Out of mild curiosity, what exactly does 'the religious type' look like??

DutchieGirl Mar 3rd, 2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwanmig (Post 10199997)
I guess we share the same belief or lack of;) .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.

How can we SHARE something if some believe and some dont? :scratch:

starin Mar 3rd, 2007 06:58 AM

I've wondered about V&S. I know that they are jehovah's witnesses but I'm not sure how devout they are in terms of how closely they follow the rules of a Jehovah's witness. I thought Jehovah's witness were not allowed to have surgery or drink. And i'm pretty sure the WS have done both. But I could be wrong. Just curious.

Talula Mar 3rd, 2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barmaid (Post 10199867)
Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!:angel:

barmaid:wavey:

I prefer the Serena that shakes her booty and dates married men.

Volcana Mar 3rd, 2007 07:17 AM

It's odd. In American basketball and football, you hear players thanking 'My lord and saviour Jesus Christ' in every other interview. In golf, tennis, baseball, and hockey, you rarely hear that.

I almost want to remove American football from the equation, because it's both violent and personal. (Running into a brick wall at 300 kph is violent, but it isn't personal. The wall doesn't care.)

I have no idea what the religious affiliations of the players are. Europe, taken as a whole, is reputed, in America, to be much more secular than the USA. Since tennis is dominated by Europeans, maybe that's why we don't hear more about religion. But American players don't make much mention of it either.

Bruno71 Mar 3rd, 2007 07:19 AM

I'm fairly certain that Shahar Peer is Jewish ;) . Whether she's devout or not I don't know.