TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Blast from the Past (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Digesting the big, dreaded double bagel (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=224542)

spiceboy Mar 10th, 2006 06:27 PM

Digesting the big, dreaded double bagel

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc.../1038/sports07

'Here comes humiliation'

Tory Ann Fretz, whose career bridged both the amateur and professional eras, knows all too well what it's like to be on the wrong end of a double bagel.

In 1976, Fretz was downed 6-0, 6-0 by a 21-year-old Chris Evert at Amelia Island, Fla.

To make matters worse, the match was televised nationally. "We all knew she (Evert) was untouchable on clay," said Fretz, now the resort pro at the Parker in Palm Springs.

"Playing her (on clay) was like running around on marbles. It was like, 'Oh God, I have to play Chris Evert. Here comes humiliation.'"

According to Fretz, the match was over before it ever began.

"My round before Chris was against Wendy Overton, who was a Top 10 player, and I thought I was playing pretty well, winning in straight sets. But I knew what I had the next day, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to it.

"So, I'm in the locker room before the match, and I'm primping ... combing my hair, putting the berets in and she walks in like the princess she was, and says to me, 'Getting ready for the big match, Tory?'

"I was devastated. The match was a blur ... and to this day I've never forgotten that remark."

spiceboy Mar 10th, 2006 06:29 PM

Double bagels by the numbers

Number of "double bagels" on the women's tour since 1972, including two already this year.

Number of "double bagels" dished out by Chris Evert - the unquestioned leader in the category since 1972. Martina Navratilova is next with 23 and Steffi Graf third with 19.

Number of "double bagels" in 2005. The second fewest in a year since 1978. There were only five in 2001.

gabybackhand Mar 11th, 2006 12:25 AM

Well, I really don't know about other players, just that Sabatini double-bagelled a rival 18 times, including Sánchez-Vicario and Zina Garrison.
Never was double-bagelled herself, but was close losing 6-1, 6-0 once to Seles and once to Graf.

Rollo Mar 11th, 2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Well, I really don't know about other players, just that Sabatini double-bagelled a rival 18 times, including Sánchez-Vicario and Zina Garrison.
She double-B'd ASV?:eek:
VERY impressive.

Maybe someone could start (or continue here) a double bagel thread-sort of like the thread on match points.

Rollo Mar 11th, 2006 01:28 AM

Thanks for the post Spiceboy-LOL at Evert's psych job:lol:

samn Mar 11th, 2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo
She double-B'd ASV?:eek:
VERY impressive.

In ASV's defence, it must be pointed out that she was only 15 when Sabatini double bagelled her at the 1987 Italian Open.

chris whiteside Mar 11th, 2006 10:13 AM

Ann Jones double-bagelled Jan Lehane in the quarter final at RG in 1963.

BJK dished out the same to both Ann Jones and Francoise Durr within a few weeks of each other in the inaugural Slims Tour in early 1971.

Kart Mar 11th, 2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samn
In ASV's defence, it must be pointed out that she was only 15 when Sabatini double bagelled her at the 1987 Italian Open.

Yet I still love it :D.

HanaFanGA Mar 11th, 2006 01:27 PM

Hana had two QF bagels at slams: 1981 Wimby vs. Turnbull and 1987 Australian vs. McNeil.

Then there's Chris' SF double bagel at the 84 French vs. the unforgettably unorthodox ;) Camille Benjamin.

And perhaps the most infamous grand slam double bagel in modern times was the 88 French final when Steffi spent 32 minutes in court time dealing with Zvereva.

Rollo Mar 11th, 2006 01:52 PM

Well let's rack up what we have for starters-I'm a sucker for stats!

The dreaded Double-B
(Bold indicates winning the event)

Jones d. Lehane--French QF

King over Durr and Jones on Slims tour

Evert d. Fretz--Family Circle Cup 3R

Evert d. Navratilova-Amelia Island F

Mandlikova d. Turnbull --Wimbledon QF

Evert d. Benjamin -French SF

Sabatini d. Sanchez--Italian ??

Graf d. Zvereva--French F

Davenport d. Sharapova ????

Rollo Mar 11th, 2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Then there's Chris' SF double bagel at the 84 French vs. the unforgettably unorthodox ;) Camille Benjamin.

What was Camille's style like HanaFan?

HanaFanGA Mar 11th, 2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo
What was Camille's style like HanaFan?

Unfortunately, I only saw brief clips of her here and there. But she played with a large head prince racquet and needed ever square inch that she could get. She had wristy strokes that looked very strange - almost as if they'd never be able to work, but they did. Not that her strokes looked very much like his, but when the twitchy Kenneth Carlson came along on the men's tour, he reminded me of her.

She was largely overshadowed by other African American players on tour at the time: Garrison, McNeil, and Adams. But she was good enough to be a French semifinalist. That's not too bad.

AceTennisGrrrl Mar 11th, 2006 04:19 PM

Lindsay Davenport def. Maria Sharapova 6/0 6/0 - Indian Wells
Elena Likhovtseva def. Aranxta Parra Santonja 6/0 6/0 - Tokyo (PAN PACIFIC)
Anna Smashnova def. Aranxta Parra santonja 6/0 6/0 - Canberra

Lindsay Davenport def. Elena Likhovtseva 6/0 6/0 - Dubai
Lindsay Davenport def. Ashley Harkleroad 6/0 6/0 - Indian Wells
Martina Hingis def. Yoon Jeung Cho 6/0 6/0 - Tokyo(PAN PACIFIC)

AceTennisGrrrl Mar 11th, 2006 04:20 PM

For 2005 I am on the hunt for 5 more

AceTennisGrrrl Mar 11th, 2006 04:28 PM

Francesca Schiavone def. Maria Sancez Lorenzo 6/0 6/0 - 2006 Australian Open