Tennis Forum banner

Brenda Schultz-McCarthy

17K views 168 replies 42 participants last post by  spiceboy 
#1 ·
Brenda is back!

Nu ze haar eerste stappen terug op het profcircuit heeft gemaakt leek het me leuk om een apart thread voor haar te hebben. Laten we haar hier aanmoedingen, resultaten volgen en hopen dat ze haar droom nog een keer bereikt: Wimbledon halen!

Go Brenda! :bounce:

#2 ·
Big Brenda wil weer jaren tennissen

TOKIO - Brenda Schultz is er bij haar rentree in het profcircuit niet in geslaagd het hoofdtoernooi te bereiken in Tokio.

De 35-jarige tennisster, die bijna zeven jaar weg was geweest uit de WTA Tour, verloor in de tweede ronde van de kwalificaties met 6-3 7-5 van de Japanse nummer 101 van de wereld, Saori Obata.

Schultz, die in de eerste ronde had gewonnen van Cara Black uit Zimbabwe, is van plan om voor langere tijd terug te keren in het vrouwencircuit. Als ze fit is genoeg is zelfs voor een paar jaar, laat haar Amerikaanse man Sean McCarthy weten vanuit Florida.

Hoofddoel voor dit jaar is kwalificatie voor Wimbledon, om op haar favoriete ondergrond gras te excelleren. Schultz moet eerst zorgen dat ze punten gaat verdienen voor de wereldranglijst. Ze mag van de WTA zes wildcards accepteren en moet het daarna op eigen kracht doen.

Haar volgende toernooi is hoogstwaarschijnlijk dat van Memphis, medio februari. Daar krijgt ze zo goed als zeker een vrijkaart voor de kwalificaties. Die hoopt Schultz ook te ontvangen voor de evenementen in Indian Wells, Miami en Charleston.

`Big Brenda'; had vorig jaar haar rentree al willen maken, maar toen had ze nog problemen met de verzekering. Toen ze in 1999 stopte, kreeg ze een grote geldsom uitgekeerd en die zou ze bij een rentree moeten terugbetalen.

,,We hebben een deal kunnen maken met de verzekering en Brenda is nu vrij om te tennissen,'' stelt Sean McCarthy. ,,En ze is echt van plan om dat een aantal jaren te gaan doen.''

(bron: AD, 29-1-2006)

#3 ·
It's good to see her back. With that serve she can def do some damage. Hopefully she'll play more.

#4 ·
Main points from the Dutch article:

Big Brenda's main goal is qualifying for Wimbledon! (Ofcourse it's her favourite surface, with that big serve.)
To gain points in the ranking she is allowed by the WTA to accept 6 wildcards.
Next tournament is probably Memphis (she almost certainly has a WC there).
She is also hoping for WC's at Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston.
Her husband says she's planning to play tennis at least a few years more.

#5 ·
Hahaha thanks for the summary. My Dutch isn't so good. :eek:

#10 ·
Big Bad Brenda wins her first quali rnd in Mep. I really hope she gets to the MD.

#11 ·
Brenda blijft helaas steken in de tweede ronde van de kwalificaties in Memphis.
Vilmarie Castellvi (PUR) def. Brenda Schultz-McCarthy (NED) 3-6 6-4 6-3

#12 ·
Well at least she got it to 3 sets. Big Bad Brenda seems to be geting better.

#13 ·
GertAlert said:

TOKIO - Brenda Schultz is er bij haar rentree in het profcircuit niet in geslaagd het hoofdtoernooi te bereiken in Tokio.

De 35-jarige tennisster, die bijna zeven jaar weg was geweest uit de WTA Tour, verloor in de tweede ronde van de kwalificaties met 6-3 7-5 van de Japanse nummer 101 van de wereld, Saori Obata.

Schultz, die in de eerste ronde had gewonnen van Cara Black uit Zimbabwe, is van plan om voor langere tijd terug te keren in het vrouwencircuit. Als ze fit is genoeg is zelfs voor een paar jaar, laat haar Amerikaanse man Sean McCarthy weten vanuit Florida.

Hoofddoel voor dit jaar is kwalificatie voor Wimbledon, om op haar favoriete ondergrond gras te excelleren. Schultz moet eerst zorgen dat ze punten gaat verdienen voor de wereldranglijst. Ze mag van de WTA zes wildcards accepteren en moet het daarna op eigen kracht doen.

Haar volgende toernooi is hoogstwaarschijnlijk dat van Memphis, medio februari. Daar krijgt ze zo goed als zeker een vrijkaart voor de kwalificaties. Die hoopt Schultz ook te ontvangen voor de evenementen in Indian Wells, Miami en Charleston.

`Big Brenda'; had vorig jaar haar rentree al willen maken, maar toen had ze nog problemen met de verzekering. Toen ze in 1999 stopte, kreeg ze een grote geldsom uitgekeerd en die zou ze bij een rentree moeten terugbetalen.

,,We hebben een deal kunnen maken met de verzekering en Brenda is nu vrij om te tennissen,'' stelt Sean McCarthy. ,,En ze is echt van plan om dat een aantal jaren te gaan doen.''

I would love to read this, but i only speak and read in english. Could someone help me out :D :bounce:

#15 ·
GertAlert said:

Big Brenda wants to play tennis again for some years.

Tokio - Brenda Schultz didn`t succeed in reaching the maindraw in Tokio at her comeback into the professional circuit.

De 35-year old tennis player, who had been away from the tour for 7 years, lost in the second round of qualifications with 6-3 7-5 to the Japanese 101-ranked Saori Obata.

Schultz, who had won from Zimbabwe`s Cara Black in the first round, is planning to return to the womens` circuit for a longer period of time. She wants to play a couple of years, if she`s fit enough, says her husband Sean McCarthey while in Florida.

Main goal is qualification for Wimbledon, to shine on her favourite surface. Schultz has to make sure she earns some points for the world rankings. The WTA allows her to accept 6 wildcards, after that she has to do it on her own.

Her next event is probably Memphis, mid-February. It`s almost certain she`ll get a wildcard for the qualifications there. She`s also hoping to receive wildcards for the Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston events.

"Big Brenda" had wanted to make her comeback last year, but back then she had insurance problems. When she quited in 1999, she got a big sum of money, and she had to pay this money back in case of a comeback.

"We were able to make a deal with the insurance company and now Brenda is free to play again," states Sean McCarthy, "and she`s really planning to do so for a couple of years."

source: Algemeen Dagblad (Dutch Newspaper)

Sorry for this shitty translation.

#16 ·
Brenda best of luck in IW!!!

#17 ·
daanharmsen said:
Big Brenda wants to play tennis again for some years.

Tokio - Brenda Schultz didn`t succeed in reaching the maindraw in Tokio at her comeback into the professional circuit.

De 35-year old tennis player, who had been away from the tour for 7 years, lost in the second round of qualifications with 6-3 7-5 to the Japanese 101-ranked Saori Obata.

Schultz, who had won from Zimbabwe`s Cara Black in the first round, is planning to return to the womens` circuit for a longer period of time. She wants to play a couple of years, if she`s fit enough, says her husband Sean McCarthey while in Florida.

Main goal is qualification for Wimbledon, to shine on her favourite surface. Schultz has to make sure she earns some points for the world rankings. The WTA allows her to accept 6 wildcards, after that she has to do it on her own.

Her next event is probably Memphis, mid-February. It`s almost certain she`ll get a wildcard for the qualifications there. She`s also hoping to receive wildcards for the Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston events.

"Big Brenda" had wanted to make her comeback last year, but back then she had insurance problems. When she quited in 1999, she got a big sum of money, and she had to pay this money back in case of a comeback.

"We were able to make a deal with the insurance company and now Brenda is free to play again," states Sean McCarthy, "and she`s really planning to do so for a couple of years."

source: Algemeen Dagblad (Dutch Newspaper)

Sorry for this shitty translation.
Thank u :D

#18 ·
Another loss but I hope she keeps trying.

#19 ·
From http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/?ContentID=311

March 14, 2006

Schultz-McCarthy Serves Up One More Season

"I want to see how far I can go, and what I have learned in the last six years. I got hurt at the top of my game, and now I want to finish it my way."

INDIAN WELLS, CA, USA - A return to professional competition has been a long time coming for Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, arguably one of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's original power players. The big-serving Dutchwoman powered her way to seven singles titles and nine doubles titles, and eventually the world's Top 10, during the 1990s. She also took down some of the greats of women's tennis, notching several victories over high-profile players during her career. However, her incredibly physical game would eventually catch up with her by way of a career-threatening back injury, and now she finds herself giving the Tour one more shot to end a storied career on her own terms.

Schultz-McCarthy's struggles with injury followed a decade-long rise to the elite level of women's tennis. Aside from her 16 aforementioned Tour titles, which included two Québec City singles titles as well as doubles titles with the likes of Gabriela Sabatini, Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario and Chanda Rubin as partners, the Dutchwoman was also a stalwart on her country's Fed Cup team and notched over a dozen Top 10 victories, including wins over Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, Lindsay Davenport, Sánchez-Vicario and Jana Novotna. She cites her biggest achievement as a win over Sánchez-Vicario at Miami in 1994.

"I was always good friends with Arantxa, but I was always losing to her in tight matches," said Schultz-McCarthy, 35. "It was at a time when I had just met my husband, my boyfriend at the time, and I was feeling on top of the world. I had to play Arantxa in Miami, I was No.30 and she was No.2, and I beat her. It made me believe I could do anything. It was one of those matches where you come out thinking, 'I can do it.'"

The victory, as well as her April 8, 1995 marriage to American football player Sean McCarthy, brought Schultz-McCarthy to a level of confidence she had never before felt, and she continued that momentum through the next several years, finishing in the Top 15 year-end rankings every season through 1997, rising to a career-high No.9 in May of 1996. However, the back began acting up in 1998, when her game and form were in full swing.

"I had my best ranking when my back was crooked. I don't know exactly when it happened but it was pretty bad. They said first that it was a hamstring problem, but they were wrong. A few months later I was told by doctors in Holland that it was a back problem. It was a really tough time. It's tough to be injured. But I guess I was fortunate to play until I was 29-years-old without being injured."

After undergoing surgery for a herniated disc and taking nearly a year off to rehabilitate, she reinjured herself in 1999 and was forced off the Tour indefinitely.

"My doctors didn't give me much of a chance to play again after my surgery. But I was stubborn and tried to come back. Unfortunately, I reinjured myself at Roland Garros."

Since leaving the Tour, Schultz-McCarthy has focused her passion for the sport on a tennis camp, located on the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. The camp caters to tennis players of all calibers and includes 11 tennis courts as well as facilities for basketball, soccer, rock climbing, water sports and more. She says her camp was developed with the need for sports diversity and fun in mind. It took four years to build and develop.

"Today I see parents forcing their kids to be on the court six to eight hours a day. There is no possible way that anyone can concentrate on one thing for that period of time. I believe you have to work hard but more importantly work smart. I tried to create a camp that I would have enjoyed when I was a kid - great coaching and really fun activities."

However much she enjoyed running the camp, and however much it satisfied her need to hit the courts, there was always a fire burning for one more attempt at the pro circuit. In 2005, Schultz-McCarthy would take the Dutch Fed Cup Team up on an offer that would eventually lead her to that destiny.

"In 2005 my back was feeling better. I changed my service motion, using my knees a bit more and not so much my legs. I was asked to coach the Fed Cup team, and I tried playing against a few of the girls. I told myself, 'If I can beat the Fed Cup girls, then I want to actually play in the Fed Cup.' I did beat most of the girls from the team and so they let me play. It went well, I played singles and doubles. Although we didn't win, I really enjoyed it. Then, I played some TeamTennis, and had wins over (Martina) Sucha and (Anne) Kremer.

"I decided to give the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour another shot before I started a family."

And with that, Schultz-McCarthy decided to embark on a comeback that would hopefully take her to some of her favorite tournaments from years past, most notably Wimbledon, where she reached one of her two career Grand Slam quarterfinals and notched 17 career match wins.

"I want to get there one more time, to the green grass. Wimbledon would be absolutely wonderful. There are a few tournaments at the end of the season I would like to play as well, indoor events like Québec City. Maybe Cincinnati also, in the summer."

So far in her comeback she is 2-3, falling in the qualifying events of Tokyo [Pan Pacific] and Memphis and losing 64 62 to Japan's Aiko Nakamura in the opening round of Indian Wells this past week in her first main draw back. Despite the losing record, there have been encouraging signs from the Dutchwoman's play. One of her wins came against Cara Black, currently one of the world's hottest doubles players, and at Indian Wells she led an early break in the first set against Nakamura, who would eventually reach the third round at the Tier I event.

"I feel like I definitely have the strokes, but I need a little more consistency now. I never had a steady game. Today I need better groundstrokes to back everything else up. So far, the biggest problem is the lack of match play, the toughest thing now is to hang in there when things aren't going so well."

All in all, the comeback signifies another chance for Schultz-McCarthy to play out her career on a good note. Whether or not she wins tournaments or even matches, the return to action is the key and no longer will she have to wonder what could have been.

"Returning to the Tour means I can end this thing on my terms. I didn't have that chance before. It's going to be a little emotional, but I hope I will get there."

#20 ·
Good luck against Sam Stosur, she is almost a young Brenda with her powerstrokes and fast serve. I hope though that Brenda leaves enough wild-cards free for the grass tourneys. I dunno if the green clay at Charleston is the good for her??
But she probably knows best what path to choose.

#24 ·
Ik vraag me af of Brenda actief zal zijn in de FED Cup. Waarschijnlijk zal ze met Misa dubbelen, maar dat is nog niet zeker.
Elise laat de laatste tijd zeer behoorlijke dingen zien.
Is Brenda daarom wel een toegevoegde waarde aan het team? Ontneemt ze niet de plek van een jonge speelster?
Ik zie Brenda meer als een coach voor de jonge speelsters. Laat het het team samen met Manon gewoon leiden!

#25 ·
Ik denk niet dat Elise veel beter is dan Brenda. Ze mag dan wel weer een aantal toernooien hebben gewonnen, maar dat stelde (met alle respect) niet veel voor; waren allemaal $25000 toernooien. Het eerste het beste grotere $75000 dat ze speelt ligt ze er direct weer kansloos in de 2e ronde uit.
Brenda heeft alleen maar kwallies van WTA toernooien gespeeld wat qua niveau veel hoger ligt dan $25000 toernooien. Denk dus dat Brenda zeker wat toevoegt.

#26 ·
Capriatifan1 said:
Ik denk niet dat Elise veel beter is dan Brenda. Ze mag dan wel weer een aantal toernooien hebben gewonnen, maar dat stelde (met alle respect) niet veel voor; waren allemaal $25000 toernooien. Het eerste het beste grotere $75000 dat ze speelt ligt ze er direct weer kansloos in de 2e ronde uit.
Brenda heeft alleen maar kwallies van WTA toernooien gespeeld wat qua niveau veel hoger ligt dan $25000 toernooien. Denk dus dat Brenda zeker wat toevoegt.
Dat ben ik opzich wel met je eens, maar is het niet zo dat Brenda nu een plek voor een jong talent bezet houdt?
Tuurlijk weet ik dat Brenda nog veel kan klaarspelen, meer als veel jongere speelsters. Maar als je de jongere speelsters geen kans geeft dan zal de nieuwe aanwas inderdaad heel gering blijven.
Dus misschien, tegen beter weten in volgende keer Brenda thuis laten?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.