TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Hyundai Hopman Cup 2006 (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459)
-   -   Big News!!! (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=196150)

groenefeldeffect Oct 1st, 2005 05:26 AM

Big News!!!

Interpret this as you wish.

xin_hui Oct 1st, 2005 05:30 AM

no belgium:(

Drake1980 Oct 1st, 2005 07:42 AM

Canada?

groenefeldeffect Oct 1st, 2005 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
no belgium:(

My opinion is this:

There are 7 flags on that Graphic... the 7 teams that were in the main draw last year. I think the 5 with no ?? are into the Hopman Cup (Slovakia, USA, Russia, Australia and Italy), whilst Germany and Argentina are either not playing or they are teasing us by making us wonder, but they will play (I hope it is the latter because of ALG :)).

Now, say Germany and Argentina are NOT playing, this leaves 4 vacancies (one of which could be for Belgium), or if they ARE playing there are 2 vacancies (the qualifiers probably).

Now, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong totally. But if this is the case, then I say the Cup will be:

POSSIBILITY 1 - WITH NO GERMANY AND ARGENTINA
Australia
USA
Slovakia
Italy
Russia
(all confirmed)
Belgium
France

QUALIFIERS
Serbia and Montenegro (also supposedly confirmed)
Netherlands

POSSIBILITY 2 - WITH GERMANY AND ARGENTINA
Australia
USA
Slovakia
Italy
Russia
(all confirmed)
Germany
Argentina

QUALIFIERS
Serbia and Montenegro (also supposedly confirmed)
France

ivanovic Oct 1st, 2005 08:20 AM

Where the fuck is Serbia stop giving me heart attacks here, i thought someone had the REAL draw, and I dont wonna see Serbia having to qualify, they are too good for qualifying and I wonna see as many matches of Ivanovic as possible, I mean i'm sure she and Novak can beat the people in the play-offs no metter who they are, BUT imagine if Novak has a bad day foe instance or if his constant sickness and breathing problem persisits they could lose in the playoffs and i would never seen Ana again, I HAVE NEVER SEEN her play on TV and I'm her biggest fan ( i did see her live tough - only 1 match) so I wonna see as much as possible of Ana and I dont want them to lose in the play-offs.

~|Naomi|~ Oct 1st, 2005 10:52 AM

I think Serbia will be in qualifying. When Kim was Ana's age and top 20 she had to qualify, last year France were going to have to qualify, there have been strong teams in quallies before & there are 7 flags so probably leaving off the qualifying countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if Belgium doesn't play or at least if Kim doesn't play, why would she want to be in Australia for a full month & away from her family & boyfriend for new years. But if she does play this week, I think it might be Hong Kong as it is on the way down from Europe & as Sharapova isn't going to be there they have some more $$$ to spread around.

From that picture though my interpretatoin would be Germany & Argentina aren't going to be there assuming the others are, because if they are there that gives the exact field of last year, how many times has that happened, you'd think they would want to bring a few new faces. But then as Argentina were in the final, you'd think they'd be invited back.

ivanovic Oct 1st, 2005 12:07 PM

Guys the image means nothing its just a stupid photo aimed at promoting the event, I mean its not like they'll have the same countries again.

Also, SCG should not be in the play-off because last year German and Argentinian players were all out of top 20 except for Coria, Italy had also weak rankings, in the Previous year Czech Republic was in the main draw and both players had poor ranking like 50+ or something, i just hope we arent in the qualifying i cant trust Novak, I think ana should play both rubbers womens and mens. lol

~|Naomi|~ Oct 1st, 2005 12:35 PM

When the Czech Republic played Novak was way higher than 50, & they played the year before and did pretty good 2nd in their group so that helped them get in as well. Argentina had Gisela at 30ish and Coria top 10. Germany were in the md cause of Haas, his ranking wasn't the best but he has a very good best ranking and it only dropped as far as it did cause of injury. Schiavone would have been at least top 25 last year no? And they had previously played through quallies a couple of years ago, they didn't deserve to be put in quallies again. Ana is worthy of the md but it is a team's event, so it isn't just based on her, obviously it will depend on the strength of the md as to whether they get straight in or quallify, but based on who they have had in quallies before I wouldn't be surprised if they are in quallies & if they are the team they will play will more than likely be very weak, so I wouldn't worry about them not winning.

As for them not having the same countries well that is what I said. I wouldn't just take it as a stupid photo, if the countries aren't confirmed why are their flags on the photo promoting the event saying when the teams will be announced? While others have question marks, false advertising if they don't get announced.

Fantastic Oct 1st, 2005 04:00 PM

They won't make Netherlands play qualifying again... They've never made a country play qualifying twice in a row if they won through qualifying the previous year.

If the Serbs play qualifying, it will be against a weak team to ensure that Ivanovic's stay in Perth is worthwhile. There's no way they'd make a good player sulk around for a week on the off chance that they might get a game.

The only top player that they've made to do that was Ai Sugiyama and that was because she asked to play both times and both times Japan was not able to qualify against quality opposition (Tanasugarn, Clijsters, Rochus, Srichaphan).

Erm, anyway, I don't think that picture indicates anything. Why would it? The announcement is suppoed to be a big surprise. Why go to all that trouble to conceal the competing nations only to reveal it on an advertisement for the announcement date. Silly.

xin_hui Oct 1st, 2005 04:07 PM

nah, actually i am not that bothered whether belgium is playing.

even though i'd LOVE to see kim and xavier play mixed, i think kim only wants to play sydney and the AO

SeNoRiTa Oct 2nd, 2005 02:53 PM

i can't imagine they would bring so many of the same teams the following year

ivanovic Oct 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeNoRiTa
i can't imagine they would bring so many of the same teams the following year

exacly thats what i've been on about as much as I like Dulko, Gronefeld, Misa even the COOL Schiovonne I dont think they will invite the SAME countries, I mean they not gonna just do a repeat of last year

I mean these countries are 110% in SVK- defending champs, Russsia, US and the host country Australia and ofcourse Serbia - cos we heard it from the horses mouth ana and novak have both said they're invited ;) , but i dont think the others that underperformed will get a second go again, may be next year, I mean i have been following HC for a while now and they never had the same peole over and over again - except for Slovak Republic - i think it should be called The Slovakia Cup :rolleyes: :lol:

anyway, where's inkymisafan i wonna see her comments on all this :lol: :lol: . but i cant wait till next Tuesday when we'll know the teams :D :cool:

Fantastic Oct 2nd, 2005 03:52 PM

Germany are a good chance to be invited back. They were on the verge of making the final until Tommy Haas injured himself in their last match. I'd be surprised if they weren't given another chance. Anna-Lena Groenefeld has also improved times 10 since January, so she could have more of an impact in the singles this time around.

I didn't know Russia was a definite. I didn't know the US was a definite either. I've only heard about Slovak Republic, Australia and Serbia-Montenegro. The US are quite weak at the moment (mostly because of unavailable or reluctant players). They could stand to miss a year and give other countries a shot.

~|Naomi|~ Oct 2nd, 2005 04:09 PM

I think Argentina & Germany deserve to get invited back based on last years performance. They usually invite the countries that did well back and drop those that don't;)

I'd be surprised if Italy get invited back. Russia haven't done well, but as a country they are strong so won't be surprised if they are there.

Anyway we will just have to wait and see:)

matthias Oct 2nd, 2005 04:34 PM

i want A-L with Tommy Haas again