TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Rogers Cup (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=548)
-   -   Wednesday Match Report from Toronto (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=186218)

JoeB_UK Aug 18th, 2005 07:20 PM

Wednesday Match Report from Toronto

Hey, my account at wtaworld "doesn't seem to be working" but I want to post my Wednesday Match Report from Toronto, I will delete it once some posts it on wtaworld (crediting "for-sure" of course)

N. Petrova 4 6 6
S. Karatancheva 6 1 4

I started watching this early in the 3rd set. I think that Sesil was up a break in the third before completely going away. In the end Nadia's nerves held and she came to net a couple of times. I must admit though, Sesil is a very gifted player, all her strokes are very natural and she is a great mover. The backhand is a huge weapon (Petrova got into trouble every time she hit there). The Forehand and serve should improve.

D. Safina 5 2
C. Martinez 7 6

Conchita was up 5-2 when I started to watch this. Safina saved a number of set points, and I actually thought she was going to pull it off (getting it back to 5-5). In the end of the 1st set the Marat in her got the better of her and she lost. Conchita was very agressive (esp. off the forehand) although I would like to have seen more variety from her. Amazing that at 30+ she can still kick some butt. *side note* after the first set I heard a couple of ball boys saying how they hated helping Conchita because she is so demanding and how they "just prayed for the set to be over." One ballboy told me she was upset with him for not throwing the ball perfectly to her every time.

G. Dulko 2 6 6
T. Golovin 6 0 1

I saw the beginning of this match and the end. The stands were empty but I guess that was an omen for what was to come- error after error after error. Golovin needs to get her act together (and the dress was UGLY :eek: :eek: ).

M. Vento-Kabchi 4 7 2
N. Li 6 6 6

Na had her angle taped and played with it a little. I was not that impressed with her game.

M. Diaz-Oliva 1 3
J. Henin-Hardenne 6 6

Justine was just :eek: :eek: at times. In almost every game she would make 2 or three errors to start and then get it to AD playing some amazing stuff...perhaps getting her mental toughness together.

A. Ivanovic 4 7 7
M. Bartoli 6 6 6

I saw the first set, Bartoli played very well but rarely hit baseline winners. All her winners came from easy put aways. Ivanovic was responsible for most of the errors and winners. Bartoli called the trainer at the start of the 2nd (I think). At the end of the match she walked out of the court and sat down on some lawn shares in a public eating area that was rather empty. At that point she began to cry like I have never seen a tennis player cry before, absolutely sobbing. When someone offererd her some water she left. I felt very badly for her. Hopefully her ankles will heal up.

L. Granville 3 7 2
A. Myskina 6 5 6

Granville played an enjoyable match, in the end Myskina was just too damn fast. The backhand :eek: :eek: :eek: .

OFF COURT STUFF

Kim:
The greatest person ever. After she came off the practice court there were like 40 people lined up for signatures. I thought- no way will she sign all of these...but she did. While she was driving off someone asked her how Daniela was doing and she said that she had not seen her yet.

Svata:
Great girl. Very friendly and was willing to take pictures with everyone!

Myskina:
Did not expect her to be so nice. took pictures with the fans and signed till the cows came home.

Martina Nav.
Signed for 3 of 40 people, told people she would sign after her doubles match (which was to be 4 hours later :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ).

gsm Aug 19th, 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB_UK
Bartoli called the trainer at the start of the 2nd (I think). At the end of the match she walked out of the court and sat down on some lawn shares in a public eating area that was rather empty. At that point she began to cry like I have never seen a tennis player cry before, absolutely sobbing.

bartoli's time on the tour sounds awfull , i often read reports of her crying post match and injury related losses... :sad:

416_Man Aug 19th, 2005 01:40 AM

Conchi and Dinara were crazily friendly after the match. Dinara initiated the kiss and was smiling. Martinez did not expect it at all.

alfonsojose Aug 19th, 2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 416_Man
Conchi and Dinara were crazily friendly after the match. Dinara initiated the kiss and was smiling. Martinez did not expect it at all.

:hehehe: So Dinara is the gay one, not Marat ;)

King Aaron Aug 20th, 2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfonsojose
:hehehe: So Dinara is the gay one, not Marat ;)

:lol: