Tennis Forum banner

~Rennae Stubbs~

121K views 2K replies 63 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 · (Edited)
She will get back the number one ranking I'm sure.
Who is with me?:).

#2 ·
hopefully when lisa gets better they will take over the tour and become the number 1 team again
btw her name is spelt rennae ;)

#7 ·
Stubbsy Comes Out

Way to go, Rennae! :hearts:

PS Stubbsy, there actually is a national Coming Out Day - 11 October!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/always-ready-for-a-serve/2006/01/06/1136387626879.html

Stubbs travels with her girlfriend of two years, a former US professional softballer, having shared a long-term relationship with her former doubles partner, Lisa Raymond.

It has only been relatively recently that Stubbs has fully embraced her sexuality, and she hopes that by speaking openly, it will help teenagers who might be grappling with gay issues.

"I always say to my friends, 'Wouldn't it be great if everybody who was gay said they were? If we said: February 21, or whatever, this is the coming out day. So, if you are, you have to come out to everybody you know'. It would be phenomenal.

"And it would be nice if everybody could just accept that it's not a choice, this is who you are. You would never, ever choose this, choose to be gay. It's such a difficult thing to deal with and coming out to people and talking about it, and coming out to your family.

"But I don't hide who I am any more. Everyone in the tennis world pretty much knows who's gay and who's not; the only reason I would like it spoken about publicly more is that I wish everybody would realise that, 'See all those people you admire? Out of 10 of them, four are gay, and I just want you to know that your child can still idolise them'."

Stubbs was 25, which is "old, in the terms of", as she puts it, when she had her first lesbian encounter, but she had long wondered, and thought "maybe". Still, it was not until more than five years later that she felt comfortable enough to be open about her lifestyle.

"I was like, 'I have to get over this, this is not a phase, this is not something to be embarrassed about, this is who I am and I'm not going to deny who I am', and I think this is the point you get to in your life.

"I'd just like to be a little bit more open about it now because I want some 16-year-old girl out there to think, 'It's OK'. All it is is somebody loving somebody."

#8 ·
Rennae has her critics :) but her heart is in the right place. Good on her. Not sure if she has the profile in Australia to make big change but if her coming out helps someone then thats great.

Hope Lisa is OK with the article :confused: :eek:

#12 ·
Rennae did not "out" Lisa, but the reporter who wrote the Bulletin article did. Lisa knew the reporter was going to say Rennae and Lisa had been together and she did not ask the reporter not to include her name. She read it, and was ok with it. So I just want people to stop pointing the finger at Rennae.

#14 ·
stubbsy71 said:
Rennae did not "out" Lisa, but the reporter who wrote the Bulletin article did. Lisa knew the reporter was going to say Rennae and Lisa had been together and she did not ask the reporter not to include her name. She read it, and was ok with it. So I just want people to stop pointing the finger at Rennae.
What a great article!! I remember her match against Donna Faber in 90 when she qualified at Wimbledon. It was so close, 7-5 in the 3rd.

Don't think Rennae is that type to out someone anyway, she's says whats on her mind yes, but it's never personal or vindictive. She always has a reason for speaking out.

#20 ·
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/

Rennae Stubbs' Madrid Blog

MADRID, Spain - With 55 doubles titles to her name, Rennae Stubbs is one of the most accomplished players on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. And nobody at the Sony Ericsson Championships this week has graced the event more times - this will be her 11th appearance, winning with Lisa Raymond in 2001 and finishing runner-up with current partner Cara Black the last two years. Join the Australian in her hunt for title No.56 in the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog.

-----

Monday, November 6, 2006

Welcome, everyone, to my blog and to the Sony Ericsson Championships! I have just arrived to Madrid from my home town of Tampa; well, my home away from home, anyway. After a two week break from the indoor circuit, I am fired up and ready for the last and final tournament of the year! Yippee!

After a long and tough year, everyone is ready for the final showdown before heading off for a few weeks' vacation. Well I am, anyway! It's going to be a great week of tennis, and I hope you all stay tuned for my inside scoop into the event.

Tonight's blog is going to be short, firstly because I'm writing it on my phone and secondly because I'm so exhausted after flying overnight and practicing some today that I can no longer keep my eyes open! All of you who've had jet lag know exactly how I feel. It's part of the job though. I spent most of my day in the physio room :) That's another thing that's part of the job! But at my age it's understandable, right?!

Okay, everyone, lots more to tell you tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to get online by then. Thanks for reading!

Talk to you all tomorrow! :)

Rennae (Stubbsy)

#22 ·
Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Hi everyone and good evening!

Well actually, it's good morning. It's 12.30am and I'm still awake! Yep, Spanish time... got to love it, right! If any of you plan on coming to Spain, I recommend it highly if you like to eat, drink and basically have a good time... but don't think about eating dinner 'til after 8pm!

I had a great day today. Woke up at 9am (slept right through my first night here) and headed down to breaky at 10am. Again, got to love the Spanish timetable; well I do, anyway. Had breaky with John Dolan from the WTA communications staff, and ate alongside most of the singles players who were getting their breakfasts ahead of the first day of play at the Sony Ericsson Championships. Just for your info, Maria Sharapova had an egg scramble with ham, as well as fruit. It looked really good - I think I'll get that tomorrow! And hey, it worked...

We had our first results of the tournament, with an upset to start. Nadia Petrova beat world No.1 Amélie Mauresmo. Now I, for one, wasn't that surprised by that win, only because Amélie has been struggling of late with a shoulder injury and is coming into this event without a lot of matches, while Nadia has been playing phenomenally well this past month on the indoor stretch. So, one to Nadia, and Amélie has some catching up to do.

Maria was up next and showed her recent good form is continuing against fellow Russian Elena Dementieva, with a comfortable win. She has certainly put herself in the driver's seat by winning her first match; she has to be the favorite here after her recent form.

Then the first real tough match of the tournament, with Justine beating Martina. A gutsy victory after her long injury lay-off - it just shows you how mentally tough she is after not playing for so long. On a personal note, cudos to Martina. What a story - comes back after years away from the game, starts the year without a ranking and here she is, in the elite event in women's tennis again. What an effort. Just shows you how good she truly is.

As far as my day was concerned, I had a few practice sessions, one on the main center court before heading up to grab a bite to eat at the players' food area. Wow, what a spread! I had some awesome anti pasta dishes and a yummy latte before Cara and I went out for our second practice session, then headed back to the hotel. Once back there, I headed to the WTA training room they have set up for us here, and had a massage with our massage therapist, Manya (I know, we're spoiled aren't we? But again, I must point out my age. And it's been a long year. And my body is, well, let's just say, toast at this point. So, I'm trying to hang on for a few more days of work).

After treatment, I popped out for dinner (at 9.30pm mind you) with my very good friends Conchita Martínez, who came to visit, and Dana Davis. We caught up over a bottle of red wine and some unbelievable food. I had a risotto with butter and white truffles - OH MY GOODNESS, it was insanely good! Europeans know how to eat good food... and the company was great. Thanks for dinner Conchi!

Dinner was over and I headed back to my room where I found a few lovely gifts from Sony Ericsson, New Regency Productions (DVDs) and the Tour. It's one of the great perks of making the Championships, that we get some nice goodies in our room from our sponsors - so to all of them, thank you very much :)))

Okay so another day down here in Madrid. I hope you are all keeping up with the matches on Outdoor Life Network and Eurosport! Stay tuned, because there will be great matches upcoming this week. And hey, check back in here and I will try and give you some inside scoops on all the action or at least on my day!

Thanks for reading,

Rennae

#27 ·
I was thinking the same when she partnered with cara Black, who's quick but doesn't have anything off the ground, but volleys OK. Stubbs plays great with someone who can make alot of returns and allows her to cross and dominate the net. It might work out OK if Corrina can play the role that Cara does.

Years ago Rennae had some great results with Nicole Bradtke in fed Cup, because of Nicole's steadiness complimented Rennae's flair. Pity they didn't team more often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.