TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Amateur Players and Tennis Equipment Forum (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1401)
-   -   Do YOU have a good drop shot? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=113073)

Yak May 2nd, 2004 02:12 AM

Do YOU have a good drop shot?

I think it's a shot that is underused. I tend to use it a lot(like once every 2-3 games) because it's so effective. Either I hit a winner of it or I hit a winner on the shot after(a passing or a lob). And after a while, your opponent gets tired especially when you play outdoor on a hot day.. I just love drop shotting..

What about you?

MisterQ May 2nd, 2004 02:17 AM

Mine is not bad. I like to use it also, but it depends on the opponent. There are a couple of people I play against who are rather uncomfortable up at the net, and not that fast. So even if they make it to the drop shot, I often have a chance to pass them at net.

Sometimes my backhand slice turns into a drop shop unintentionally because I don't hit it deep enough. gotta work on that. ;)

K-Dog May 2nd, 2004 02:25 AM

I have a pretty good forehand drop shot. I played this one point where i hit a backhand drop shot off a high, mid-court ball and my oppenent got to it. I hit a lob and pushed him back, then at the last second on the short ball, I played a drop shot and he didn't even move!!

I disguise my forehand drop really well, and since I play High School tennis when people pitty-pat their second serve over instead of ripping the return(which is what I usually do), I'll play a short angled drop shot usually for a winner. I do that once in ever other match!!

The drop shot is fun to play when you can use it right, huh?

Rtael May 2nd, 2004 02:30 AM

I don't have one. :lol:

I have a pretty good short slice BH which could almost pass for a drop shot, but it's not. :p

SuperRevelation May 2nd, 2004 02:32 AM

My dropshot is horrible as well lol.

tennisIlove09 May 2nd, 2004 02:47 AM

I don't hit drop shots. Why? Because I like to move in behind them, and I'm not the best at the net.

I'm good from the baseline. My forehand is my weapon.

Volcana May 2nd, 2004 03:17 AM

God no! My drop shot sucks! If my opponent is ten feet behind the baseline and sends up a WEAK passing shot I MIGHT try a drop shot. And it's 50-50 I'll blow it if I'm at the net.

Vincent May 2nd, 2004 03:21 AM

I don't have a good drop shot because it usually bounces to high that my opponent would catch it very soon and hit a deadly angle shot that kill me. :haha:

Mr_Molik May 2nd, 2004 05:04 AM

i hardly ever use it, but im playing in a tournament atm and i hit an AWESOME one yesterday!
me and my opponent were rallying backwards and forwards, and he hit it to my backhand. i took my racquet back as if to hit a drive, but stopped and just dropped it over the net and it bounce about 10 times in the service box

geoepee May 2nd, 2004 05:09 AM

I have a great dropshot, unfortunately it's also my first serve :(

Nan Cu May 2nd, 2004 05:19 AM

I do and it's pathetic, lands on the service line all the time. The only time when it's effective is when I come under the slice backhand unintentionally.

tennisjunky May 2nd, 2004 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterQ
Sometimes my backhand slice turns into a drop shop unintentionally because I don't hit it deep enough. gotta work on that. ;)

thats funny. i win so many points with my slice bh because its so short. i act like i meant for it to be a drop shot but the truth is i got the same problem you have but it works to my advantage. because the motion is identical, neither me or my oponent can tell if it going to pin him back at the baseline or if its going to be a drop shot :lol:

Vincent May 2nd, 2004 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoepee
I have a great dropshot, unfortunately it's also my first serve :(

:haha: @ your first serve. If you get to play Monica, she would just smack and eat every serve of you. j/k

And I love your signature, probably one of the best I have ever seen. :wavey: :hearts:

Kirt12255 May 2nd, 2004 07:09 AM

:wavey: I have a bad habit of over-using my drop shot....apart from my forehand it's prolly my best shot...the ol' drop shot then lob is my fav:wavey:

Farina Elia Fan May 2nd, 2004 08:59 AM

My drop shot is good on the backhand side but on the forehand side it's awful!!!