- The Belgian Babes Band (http://www.tennisforum.com/26-belgian-babes-band/)
- - Clijsters & Henin Receive Lifetime Sports Award In Belgium (http://www.tennisforum.com/26-belgian-babes-band/11163-clijsters-henin-receive-lifetime-sports-award-belgium.html)
Clijsters & Henin Receive Lifetime Sports Award In Belgium
From the Sanexwtatour site :
Earlier this week, Prince Philip of Belgium presented Kim Clijsters (world No. 5) and Justine Henin (No. 7) with the 2001 Trophy for National Sporting Excellence in the Town Hall of Brussels. Also in attendance were Belgian sports dignitaries and former recipients of the award such as Jacques Bastin (football in 1934), Brik Schotte (cycling in 1950), Jacky Brichant (with Philippe Washer for tennis in 1957), Gaston Roelandt (athletics in 1972) and Ingrid Berghmans (judo in 1982), among others.
Honoured together, Freddy Thielemans, mayor of Brussels referred to Clijsters and Henin as 'the two jewels of tennis' in his welcome speech. 'Justine and Kim have written their names in gold letters in the history of the Trophy. I hope that they will be an example for our youth to follow.'
The following is a look at the accomplishements of Clijsters and Henin during
* Upset World No. 1 Martina Hingis en route to final of Tier I Indian Wells
* Reached Roland Garros final - first Belgian player ever to get that far in
a Grand Slam, with a come-from-behind win over country woman Henin in the
semifinals before extending Jennifer Capriati 1-6, 6-4, 12-10 in the longest
third set finish to a French Open final in history
* Won Stanford in a field that included Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport and
Monica Seles, defeating Davenport in the final for her first win over the
American in five meetings; cracked Top five with that win
* Also won titles in Tokyo and Luxembourg, was a semfinalist at the
season-ending Sanex Championships, and a quarterfinalist at Wimbledon and the
* By season's end, improved her ranking from No. 18 to No. 5
* Upset World No. 2 Venus Williams enroute the semifinals of the German Open
* Semifinalist at Roland Garros falling to country woman Clijsters after
holding a 6-2, 4-2 lead
* Ended Jennifer Capriati's Calendar Grand Slam bid in the Wimbledon
semifinals and stretched eventual winner Venus Williams to three sets in the
final; cracked the World's Top Five briefly afterwards up from No. 87 exactly
a year earlier
* Also won titles in Gold Coast, Canberra and 's-Hertogenbosch (def.
Clijsters in three set final); was a quarterfinalist at the Sanex
* By season's end, improved her ranking from No. 48 to No. 7
Is this deja-vu or what, hasn't this already happened a few months ago?
It seems that they keep on inventing prices to give.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.