TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Russian Roulette (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Why Dinara is not top 5 material... (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=103109)

tenn_ace Feb 15th, 2004 04:19 AM

Why Dinara is not top 5 material...

... at least, yet. IMO her game is too predictable. she is able to overpower lower ranked girls, but when it comes to big guns she loses either because they, at least, match her in power or outsmart her reading her game easily. I'm not saying that she can't play an all-court game, but, unfortunately, she doesn't do it relying solely on her power. BTW, her groundstokes are very predictable: topspin, mostly cross court.

goldenlox Feb 15th, 2004 04:22 AM

Top 5? Dinara is 17. Let her mature a little. Where was Nastya at 17?
The less pressure to be great early in her career, the better.

AjdeNate! Feb 15th, 2004 04:23 AM

She's young yet... hopefully her game matures. I have confidence that she'll be beating the big babes sometime.

AnDyDog621 Feb 15th, 2004 04:24 AM

Hey if she can overpower top 15 players all the time right now...she could be top 10 by end of the year imo

~|Naomi|~ Feb 15th, 2004 06:52 AM

Quote:

she is able to overpower lower ranked girls, but when it comes to big guns she loses either because they, at least, match her in power or outsmart her reading her game easily.

Last I checked Schiavone and Schnyder are both ranked ahead of Dinara as is Dokic whom she beat in Shanghai and Maleeva whom she beat in Moscow. She beat Coetzer at AO when Coetzer was seeded and ranked above Dinara.

No one is saying Dinara is top 5 at the moment. I think she can definately be top 20 by the end of the year though.

tenn_ace Feb 15th, 2004 03:43 PM

Schiavone and Schnyder are hardly big guns... as is Coetzer these days. and if nobody is saying (according to you), then did you even reply in this thread? :rolleyes:

the cat Feb 15th, 2004 06:36 PM

The most concerning thing to me about Dinara is her constantly getting steamrolled when she plays a great player. She doesn't even make the match competitive. But the year and her career are still young so that could change.

Dinara really needs to make the top 20 this year and I think she will. :) And I'm glad we're not hearning anymore of that talk about her having a better career than her brother Marat will. That's not happening.

goldenlox Feb 15th, 2004 06:40 PM

The only time I watched Dinara play was the US Open. And the JHH match was so one-sided, it was hard to judge.
When you are 17, and 6 foot tall, it's important to have a solid foundation for your game. And then build a complete game over time.
Dinara's results show she is probably doing this.

the cat Feb 15th, 2004 08:27 PM

Excellent countterpoint, Miss Lox. All very tall tennis players need extra time to develope.

ys Feb 16th, 2004 03:18 AM

Dinara will win a GS. But not this year.

AnDyDog621 Feb 16th, 2004 11:41 AM

Im a huge fan, but for some reason i don't see that happening(probably cause she is Russian)....but if she does, i hope she is the first one...hehe, beat Maria from doing it first

Sammm Feb 16th, 2004 04:49 PM

She's only 17 for goodness sake! What hae most of you guys done at that age? I'm only 16 so the question doesn't apply to me.

tenn_ace Feb 16th, 2004 06:26 PM

sammm, calm down... with nerves like that you won't live past 30.

as for Dinara, I am not saying that she not worthy of anything. she's still an outstanding athlete and a tennis player, but she is not a top 5 material yet. she's is still developing as other pointed out here, so, hopefully, she'll be there.

ys Feb 16th, 2004 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenn_ace
but she is not a top 5 material yet.

I think this expression makes no sense logically. The word "yet" in it. A player is Top 5 material or not regardless of her current results. Simply because the concept of "material" is based on potential, not results.

Was Tatiana Golovin a Top 5 material a month ago? Is she now? Did anything change in terms of her potential since then?

Martian KC Feb 16th, 2004 06:40 PM

I think she needs to work on her movement.