Tennis Forum banner

Is it just a matter of confidence with Venus?

522 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JustSayDet 
#1 ·
Venus hasn't really had TERRIBLE results this season. She played decent on the clay, but clay isn't her surface. Now that she's at Wimbledon, was it just a matter of building confidence from her? We don't need to go into the history of how well Venus does at Wimbledon when she's this deep in the second week. I'm still tryin to figure out how she can play so crappy on Court 2 and shine on Court 1 and Centre Court. She beat Sharapova and Kuznetsova in straights, so is it just a matter of Venus getting some confidence to have more faith in her serve and shots, or is it something more?

#3 ·
I think that's got something to do with it. But I think the confidence of her opponents also plays into it. Sveta's shots weren't much different today than they were when they played at Warsaw but Sveta just had no confidence. After she failed to convert any of her early breakpoints she just didn't look like a player who thought she could win. Sveta has a horrible record at Grand Slams against top 10 players and Venus is top 10 on grass.

#4 ·
Honey, Venus is #1 on grass. 3 times the champion in this decade, and 2 other finals losing to sister Serena.

#7 ·
Regardless...the important thing I'm seeing is shades of '05. Venus is rounding into form and getting more and more confortable on grass. She put together 2 back to back matches in which she didn't hit a bad patch like she does so much lately. So while Sveta may not have played a good match, a lot of that had to do with Venus being on the other side of the net. Players at this point in Wimbledon better not wait for Venus to make errors now because she's clearly gaining momentum and turned the corner now that she's deep into the second week.

#10 ·
Regardless...the important thing I'm seeing is shades of '05. Venus is rounding into form and getting more and more confortable on grass. She put together 2 back to back matches in which she didn't hit a bad patch like she does so much lately. So while Sveta may not have played a good match, a lot of that had to do with Venus being on the other side of the net. Players at this point in Wimbledon better not wait for Venus to make errors now because she's clearly gaining momentum and turned the corner now that she's deep into the second week.
more than just 2 matches with no let downs....she beat 2 top 5 players in a row! That has to give her even more confidence

#11 ·
I think it's far more complicated than confidence alone--let's face it, V & S aren't lacking in the confidence department, never have.

I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it's back. Barring the match of her life in the final, I think Justine falls to Venus in another WB final. I never would have said that a week ago, that's for sure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.