Tennis Forum banner

OLYMPIC CHAMPION Monica Puig

337K views 4K replies 108 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently no.2 in junior ranking :yeah:
Birth Date: 27/09/1993
This year she won a GA title and was a RU at GA/G1/G1 tournaments.
She played her 1st WTA match in Ponte Vedra qualies last week and beat Poutchek 2:6 6:4 6:2 (from 2:6 1:4) and then lost to Mattek in a tough 3-setter. Before that she only played 2 ITFs (10k qualies in 2008 and 75k MD as a WC in 2009) and didn't win a match there.
She's now on entry lists for ITFs in Spain, hopefully she'll get a WTA ranking and will start to climb really fast:)
Good luck Monica! :yeah:

#2 ·
Re: Puerto Rican hope Monica Puig

Chicas Latinas Forum :p

#4 ·

Pues Mónica esta semana ha ganado muy fácil los partidos de la previa y del MD del 10K de Torrent (ESP) y mañana en la final se enfrentará a la rusa Pipiya, que se benefició de la retirada de la española Dominguez-López, cuando ésta perdía 5-1

Suerte en la final, Mónica!!! :bounce:

#6 ·

No Spanish here:p

She just won her 1st ITF title defeating #1 seed Pipiya 3:6 6:1 6:2 :yeah:
I'd rather see her playing those weak 25k's in Mexico and South America as fields there are not much tougher than in Spanish 10k's but as long as she's winning titles, I'm happt for her:)

#10 ·

Congrats for the title Monica :yeah:

I saw her playing a little bit on indoor hardcourt and saw a couple of matches on red clay.She is baseline player,with good groundstrokes from both sides,hit with double-handed backhand and could use her slice to change the pace of the ball and also for a good defense.
Her second serve is quite slow and predictable and often made some double faults,her first serve is not fast, for sure the serve is the weapon that she needs to work.

#12 ·

I dont know when you last saw her play, but her serve was certainly a wepon when i last saw her play online in Brazil, she was hitting aces and serve winners on both first and second serves regularly, including the finals.

Marlin
In Fed Cup matches her serve was not a weapon and made a couple of double faults.Also if you saw the stats of her matches in Ponte Vedra qualies she made tons of double fault too more than 10 in one of her matches for sure dont remember exactly the number of it.

This week she is playing in Spain (wildcard-10.000) and is already in SF :yeah:

#13 ·

She won first round at Trofeo Bonfiglio where she is the first seed. This tournament is in the biggest category in junior tennis (has same ammount of points like grand slam) :yeah:. Good luck Monica! :bounce:

#14 ·

monica is in the qf :bounce:

#15 ·

monica lost sf in 3 sets :sad:
good luck at rg monica! :bounce:

#16 ·

Best of luck at Roland Garros Monica!

Today she won the first round but she is still having problem with the second serve 11 df is too much.

#17 ·

She plays vs. Silvia Njiric... lost the first set 0-6 :eek:... She is 5-2 up in the second now, tho. :)... Go, Monica!

#21 ·

Monica lost 6-0 3-6 6-3 :hug:

#24 ·

Monica plays junior Wimbledon this week and she is in R3! :D

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.