TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Article: Wimbledon the missing piece in Henin's tumultuous life story Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Jun 21st, 2006 12:30 PM
cynicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikvanlooy
That's not true. I have lost my father when I was very young. One then hasn't really got an idea what this represents.

If you are too young it's less of a disaster than when you are older.
FWIW, from all the people I've come across who've lost at least one of their parents, it's the ones who lost them in their late teens who seemed most devastated.

But, I mean, every case is different.

Sadly, I'm not astounded by the responses in this thread. And I'm certainly not surprised by one respondant. I love the irony of someone arguing against Justine by using their own "I lost a parent" card and "look, I'm fine." [not referring to you, rikvanlooy]

Honestly, when I first read the article, I actually couldn't believe it because, usually and lately, Justine doesn't comment that much on her mother anymore. It reads like the reporter asked her maybe one question about it and then went off to the races and quoted existing interviews.

This is just one of the things you have to get used to. You can't read a Justine profile without them mentioning her mother just like you can't read a Williams Sisters piece without Compton, Maria with Siberia, Kim without her athletic parents, Capriati without the "lost years," Monica without the stabbing, etc.
Jun 21st, 2006 11:03 AM
Sam L Word.
Jun 21st, 2006 09:31 AM
rikvanlooy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedcup
If you're a millionaire, if you're poor. Losing your mother at young age will always hurt you for the rest of your life.
Do you people really feel people?
That's not true. I have lost my father when I was very young. One then hasn't really got an idea what this represents.

If you are too young it's less of a disaster than when you are older.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:40 PM
vejh There was/has been some probs with JHH and her dad after a while. Apparently it is a very very touchy subject because JHH pretty much always refuses to talk about it. She misses her siblings, that much is obvious, but somethings went down b/w her and dad. Who knows, in years to come they may patch things up.

There was one obvious fave for Wimby last yr.: Shara, based on winning the previous wimby and the tune-up. Venus winning was a surprise. This yr. even some Venus fans are expressing their doubts about what Venus will be able to do. But in fact, there is no clear fave, there are several girls who can win it. This is not like 2002-2004 where we knew the two very clear faves.

And she is right on grass, it's not clay where we know there are only a handful who can compete really well. On grass, one serve, one volley, can get you through, and we all know we got some big servers on the WTA these days. Even Vaidisova can be in the mix for a Wimby with her big game.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:35 PM
pigam look I was being sarcastic, OK?

Noone exactly knows why she left her fmily, and is it really any of our business?
Her dad made her do all the homechores since she was "the only woman left". that's what I heard. Justine met PY and her family (=her dad) did not want any kind of relationship for Justine.
even if it is something completely different, does it really matter?
i'm sure Justine has good reasons, you don't "just" leave you dad and siblings. not "even" Justine.

So many cold hearted people on this board it's disturbing.

Not saying you should cry for Justine, but a little understanding would be nice.
just like for every player's problem. jelena's dad, V&S's sister, Mirjana's dad, Myskina's mum, ...
Jun 20th, 2006 03:31 PM
jenny161185 eeehhhh theres no need for that pigam you dont even know the girl - like none of us do.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:31 PM
vwfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam
because she's a selfish little cow who looks for fame and fortune only.
no, really. i don't know the story.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:30 PM
vwfan
Quote:
There is no obvious favourite this year
I am glad that Venus didn't get the memo last year. Hopefully, she won't get it this year either.

Quote:
and, on grass, we're all so close.
really?! the other players who have 3 Wimbledon titles and have been in 5 out of six finals are really flying under the radar.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:24 PM
pigam
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan
uhmm. . .why did she leave her family?
because she's a selfish little cow who looks for fame and fortune only.
Jun 20th, 2006 03:23 PM
vwfan uhmm. . .why did she leave her family?
Jun 20th, 2006 03:20 PM
pigam
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettipooh
I have to agree there! She walked away from her family in search of fame and fortune. Nothing tumultous about that!!! Part of her agony was probably brought on by herself....guilt, blame, hurt, shame. Tons of people lose a loved one, but hers is, of course, unique to her because of the French open 'story' with her Mom and her tennis goals. It will always be a lasting memory, and one that is brought up over and over again. Just wish she would make amends with her estranged family and put a superb happy ending to this story...it would be great to see them all in the stands, sharing the joy and elation of her sixth grand slam....just not at Wimbly! ....that belongs to my precious Vee!!...hopefully!
Wow, this sure is extremely rude!!
She walked away for "fame and fortune"... and it was probably her own fault?!
Easy to say if you have a perfect home situation where your paretns suport your talent. if that's not the case, respect to Justine for having the caracter to stand up to her family and live her own life (people have that right, you know?)

And of course Justine is not the only person who lost a parent at a young age. So does that make it any less painfull?

Justine said on numerous occasions she would give all her titles and money (fame and fortune, you know) back to have her mum back.
She also often refused to answer suestions about her mum saying "anyone knows the story by now". It's not like she is "using" it, what a disgusting thing to say.

wow, this board has just fell to a new low.
Jun 20th, 2006 02:46 PM
vejh That was a nice article.

I must say JHH is very patient with the press asking her to relive those sad moments re her mom and family again. But she makes no bones about not talking about her dad. Hopefully the family may reunite again for the good of everyone.

How intense is she? lol. She makes sure everyone knows she loves them, everyday... awwwww.
Jun 20th, 2006 01:43 PM
loppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikvanlooy
In the Belgian media she is talking about the 6 and 7 wins of Graf and Evert at RG.

Her 'to win a few more' is in fact at least 4-5 slams,even 6-8 slams. [BOLD]She wants to become the best after Graf, Navratilova and Evert.[/BOLD]
That's my impression as well. Hope she can stay healthy and achieve true greatest among tennis legends.
Jun 20th, 2006 01:29 PM
RAA you guys are remarkably unsympathetic.

she lost HER MOTHER at age 12.

that is an unbelievably hard hurdle to overcome.

i'm not saying she is the poster child for UNICEF or anything, but it was HER MOTHER for f*cks sake.

it must have been tremendously hard.
Jun 20th, 2006 01:21 PM
griffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettipooh
I have to agree there! She walked away from her family in search of fame and fortune. Nothing tumultous about that!!! Part of her agony was probably brought on by herself....guilt, blame, hurt, shame. Tons of people lose a loved one, but hers is, of course, unique to her because of the French open 'story' with her Mom and her tennis goals.
No, hers is unique because she has millions of people watching the aftermath (and passing judgement one way or the other).

I will agree that whatever deaths and drama we endure, we are responsible for our own actions and decisions. That applies to Justine as well as to myself and everyone in this thread. But to dismiss the impact of losing a parent, of winding up estranged from the rest of your family (saying that she simply "walked away...in search of fame and fortune" may be comforting to YOU, saving you the trouble of caring, but I suspect reality is at bit more complicated) is heartless to say the least.

You don't have to like her to recognize that she's a human being, do you?
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome