TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic

Thread: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2 Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Feb 12th, 2013 11:05 AM
Brena
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce View Post
She recovered so fast
A miraculous recovery.
Feb 12th, 2013 10:31 AM
basset
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

pazek didn't even look like a top-100 player. with her poor form i think her scheduling is very bad. she should be playing midland and memphis instead of the big tourneys..
Feb 12th, 2013 05:32 AM
Patoranking
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Who cares about the result? What was that Paszek wearing!! She looked GORGEOUS!!!!
Feb 12th, 2013 12:42 AM
Cajka
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
Her shot selection has gotten quite awful.
Yes, that's what happens when you play the style that isn't natural to you. Her main weapons are not what they used to be, so she's trying to play like Vika, even like Aga. It may work against scrubs, but her reflexes, footspeed, clumsiness and poor anticipation are the reasons why she'll never be competitive against top players with that style. Vika and Aga make her look brainless. It's like when a defensive players try to play aggressive, they usually look clueless.
Feb 12th, 2013 12:39 AM
tennisbear7
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
True, but in her earlier peak days, it broke down in clutch moments; i.e. RG '07 final. But that was understandable.

I remember her match vs. Radwanska in Melbourne this year in which you could just tell by the ball toss that she was about to hit a DF. Her shot selection has gotten quite awful.
Before she didn't really need to think about shot selection because it was all "SERVE, BAM BAM, POINT OVER". Now it's "SERVE - OH IT'S IN? - OH CRAP, NEED TO RALLY. BACKHAND BOTTOM OF NET." Sad really.
Feb 12th, 2013 12:29 AM
Brad[le]y.
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbear7 View Post
She had fewer problems and it was more consistent before. Now it's just a complete mess
True, but in her earlier peak days, it broke down in clutch moments; i.e. RG '07 final. But that was understandable.

I remember her match vs. Radwanska in Melbourne this year in which you could just tell by the ball toss that she was about to hit a DF. Her shot selection has gotten quite awful.
Feb 12th, 2013 12:01 AM
tennisbear7
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
And the difference between 165kph and 175kph is pretty much exactly a 5mph difference, like I said

Again, I didn't deny her serve is less effective than it used to be. My point is she's had a ~5mph dropoff (and I'd say around a 10-15% dropoff in terms of overall effectiveness), compared to I would say about a 40% dropoff in the quality of her groundstrokes compared to her peak. My only point was that the difference between how powerfully she serves now and how she used to is nowhere near as stark as that poster was making out And her balltoss might still cause her some issues, but it's been pretty infrequent thesedays (and let's be honest, even in 2007-8 she would occasionally struggle with her balltoss -- the RG final in 2007? the matches against Venus in '07?). And her serve is certainly the most effective part of her game nowadays.
There's pretty much nothing effective about Ana's game nowadays, so you're wrong on that front.

Also I reckon 5mph is pretty substantial. It's meant the difference between having someone returning the ball (where Ana will pretty much screw it up ) and them not touching the ball.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:58 PM
Cajka
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
I don't think her backhand regressed at all, the only reason why it looks good is because she is playing well. As a top player you need to pull through even if you are playing awful, her backhand now is more consistent that ever and doesn't fall apart anymore, as forehand is her main weapon, you need every other shot to be at the very least consistent.
It was always her weaker wing, but it was rarely awful. On slow surfaces it was even fine, now it's a mess even on her best surfaces. We must agree to disagree and perhaps I'm too harsh on my faves, but I honestly believe that Ana has one of the worst backhand in top 100.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:52 PM
dsanders06
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbear7 View Post
I would say that on average Ana's first serve average at her peak was possibly around 175-180kph. Nowadays it's around 165-175 to be honest. Not to mention not being nearly as reliable as it was before because of that ball toss. Still chasing the ball, unfortunately.
And the difference between 165kph and 175kph is pretty much exactly a 5mph difference, like I said

Again, I didn't deny her serve is less effective than it used to be. My point is she's had a ~5mph dropoff (and I'd say around a 10-15% dropoff in terms of overall effectiveness), compared to I would say about a 40% dropoff in the quality of her groundstrokes compared to her peak. My only point was that the difference between how powerfully she serves now and how she used to is nowhere near as stark as that poster was making out And her balltoss might still cause her some issues, but it's been pretty infrequent thesedays (and let's be honest, even in 2007-8 she would occasionally struggle with her balltoss -- the RG final in 2007? the matches against Venus in '07?). And her serve is certainly the most effective part of her game nowadays.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:52 PM
dencod16
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
I agree. It looked like it was almost fixed in the end of 2010, but when she fired Heinz and lost a lot of weight, it regressed significantly. Her serve and her backhand are the parts of her game that regressed the most after 2008. Her forehand is not what it used to be, but that shot solely is the reason why she's top 15. OK together with her somewhat improved mentality (compared to her worst slumping days).
I don't think her backhand regressed at all, the only reason why it looks good is because she is playing well. As a top player you need to pull through even if you are playing awful, her backhand now is more consistent that ever and doesn't fall apart anymore, as forehand is her main weapon, you need every other shot to be at the very least consistent.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:50 PM
tennisbear7
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
She had problems with her ball toss even at her peak
She had fewer problems and it was more consistent before. Now it's just a complete mess
Feb 11th, 2013 11:49 PM
Brad[le]y.
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbear7 View Post
I would say that on average Ana's first serve average at her peak was possibly around 175-180kph. Nowadays it's around 165-175 to be honest. Not to mention not being nearly as reliable as it was before because of that ball toss. Still chasing the ball, unfortunately.
She had problems with her ball toss even at her peak
Feb 11th, 2013 11:48 PM
Cajka
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yes, she reached it like 3 or 4 times maximum in her life. To suggest her serve is nowhere what it once was purely because she hasn't recreated those handful of flukey, freakish occurrences of very high speeds is absurd. It would be like me saying Maria's serve has "declined" since she hit those two 120mph serves in the grasscourt season of 2010
Ana was hitting 120 mph serves regularly in 2006. That's the reason why she usually had a very low 1st serve %. Later she started serving a bit slower but she was still able to hit 120 mph serves in 2007 (when she hit one of the fastest serves ever) and 2008. After that she was usually topping at 185 and lately at 175. Her serve used to be a weapon, now it's fine in general (mostly against lower-ranked players) and occasionally horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbear7 View Post
I would say that on average Ana's first serve average at her peak was possibly around 175-180kph. Nowadays it's around 165-175 to be honest.
165-175 is not Ana's average first serve speed. It's around 160. And her average first serve speed in 2006 was probably around 175.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:43 PM
tennisbear7
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

I would say that on average Ana's first serve average at her peak was possibly around 175-180kph. Nowadays it's around 165-175 to be honest. Not to mention not being nearly as reliable as it was before because of that ball toss. Still chasing the ball, unfortunately.
Feb 11th, 2013 11:40 PM
dsanders06
Re: Doha 1R: (13) Ivanovic crushes Paszek 6-1 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankqq View Post
As usual you're wrong, but please by all means, continue to dazzle this forum with your ignorance. I said Ivanovic COULD reach the lower 120s mph; I didn't say it happened all the time.
Yes, she reached it like 3 or 4 times maximum in her life. To suggest her serve is nowhere what it once was purely because she hasn't recreated those handful of flukey, freakish occurrences of very high speeds is absurd. It would be like me saying Maria's serve has "declined" since she hit those two 120mph serves in the grasscourt season of 2010

Quote:
The average first service speed difference is definitely more than 5 mph, probably between 10 and 15 mph as I already explained in my earlier post. A 10 to 15 mph difference is huge at this level.
Revisionism.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome