TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face men Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Sep 10th, 2012 12:29 AM
charmedRic
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
She should face Tomic.
bahahahahahahahahahaha
Sep 10th, 2012 12:16 AM
rockbottom
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

^ ^ ^ You have no clue about tennis. There's guys in the ATP top 50 like Olivier Rochus, Nishikori who don't have big serves and don't hit the ball hard nearly as some in the top 800 who have serves like Roddick and Isner ok do you understand??? GAME OVER!!! there's no chance for her to return 135+ miles serves.
Sep 10th, 2012 12:07 AM
dencod16
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

It depends on what Serena comes in, she can top 100. If she comes out in the zone like Olympics i can see her being competitive with some guys around 150-300 even top 100, though with her it's hard to expect it TBH.
Sep 9th, 2012 11:59 PM
Perseust
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Cant even defeat Azarenka...
Sep 9th, 2012 11:21 PM
rockbottom
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Trust me on this, #500 is the same as #1400. The only diff between top 20 and top 1000 is mental and confidence. The power and speed is pretty much the same. Do you think guys in the top 20 serve any harder than top 1400? they're just more consistent and mentally tough with their placement. But the power and speed is the same..in fact if anything the younger guys in college that are in the top 1400 are even quicker and faster than the older guys in the top 20.

I know it seems like Serena is GOAT out there but it's only because she's playing "other" women. But she won't fare well at all even with a top rank college player simply because she won't be able to handle the men's serve but importantly it's the quickness and speed of men's play that NO women can overcome at the moment. Maybe in the next century when the game continues to evolve, just maybe.
Sep 9th, 2012 10:39 PM
TheHangover
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKirilenko95 View Post
Hahahahaha. She wouldn't beat anyone in the top 500. She probably wouldn't even beat a retired Agassi or Sampras.
a retired agassi beat the number 500
Sep 9th, 2012 10:36 PM
KIG.
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme View Post
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary.
Did you read what she said in context?

Quote:
That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out.
Except that it wasn't a cop out at all. She said that male tennis players bitch about women's tennis (factual observation), that Serena hits harder than any men she practices with (complimentary joke) and that it would be interesting to see Serena play a top-500 ranked man (which it would be. Especially if a spectacle was made). She made no excuses for getting beaten.

Quote:
When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you.
And saying someone said something that they actually didn't says something about your readong comprehension.

Quote:
It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line.
Riiight, it's not Serena's fault that she's the best player on tour. She deserves no praise for being the dominant player when she's on form. Nope, it's everyone else's fault for not being good enough and stepping up.

Quote:
The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her.
No, it's not. It's Errani saying something that's been taken out of context such that it looks like a dig at Serena. Not everything is an insult.

Quote:
Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year?
For Henin, probably in the same way that people do now about Serena (read: never seriously and with the overwhelming majority saying she'd get creamed). For Azarenka, she was content to say she'd like to play with herself.

Quote:
The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that?
Because you're taking a quote out of context literally.

Quote:
She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up?
Because Serena's the most powerful, dominant player on tour. The latter mostly because of the former.

Quote:
I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.
Yes, and the reason there are two separate tours (other than the political/financial/historical reason) is the fact that physically, men are better suited for sports such as tennis. They are able to move faster, hit the ball harder and with more spin. The people saying Serena would struggle to win points and games are right. For better or for worse there's not a relevant man on the ATP tour that wouldn't dominate Serena.
Sep 9th, 2012 10:26 PM
Serena = GOAT
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian. View Post
you say this as Serena fan?
That should say something, no?
Quote:
some of the top 1000 guys would be bageld by Rena on grass/fast hardcourt
Two questions: have you seen Serena play live? Have you watched a male Futures match live?

I'm guessing you can't answer yes to both questions, otherwise you would think different about this.
Sep 9th, 2012 10:17 PM
Adrian.
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena = GOAT View Post
Everyone who thinks Serena could be competitive against a top 1000 male is bad at watching tennis and should consider pursuing an activity they actually can comprehend.
you say this as Serena fan?

some of the top 1000 guys would be bageld by Rena on grass/fast hardcourt
Sep 9th, 2012 10:11 PM
Serena = GOAT
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Everyone who thinks Serena could be competitive against a top 1000 male is bad at watching tennis and should consider pursuing an activity they actually can comprehend.
Sep 9th, 2012 09:12 PM
MariaKirilenko95
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Hahahahaha. She wouldn't beat anyone in the top 500. She probably wouldn't even beat a retired Agassi or Sampras.
Sep 9th, 2012 08:56 PM
smarties
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Sep 9th, 2012 08:51 PM
NashaMasha
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris719 View Post
It also decreases her power factor though, not just the men's power factor.
yes I mean the same , Serena will have a chance vs men only on grass and "blueclay" All the surfaces slowed down against ATP's servebots will be too slow and too high bouncing .. Djokovic at US Open was able to return all balls back with ease coming from Del Potro's forehand with increadible speed . It's more like red clay of 90s now . Now even RG looks faster

Quote:
everybody knows that rackets were twigs back then compared to what they are now.
Ferrer top speed 123 MPH , average 110 mph , average 2nd serve 91 MPH
Djokovic top speed 127 MPH , average 112 mph , average 2nd serve 92 MPH
Serena top speed 124 MPH , average 111 mph , average 2nd serve 89 MPH

yes i know about kick serve, more spin with serve etc, but Serena has perfect placement of her serves and her serves wide and in T are unpredictable ......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ap62qw6mrc
Sep 9th, 2012 07:14 PM
moby
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

She'd probably get a game even against some top 100 players simply because it's hard to stay mentally focused for a double bagel win. Men are not used to playing all their return games with full intensity, and Serena has the serve to take advantage of that sort of lapse.

I think outside of the top 500, there might be some well-competed (by not necessarily competitive) sets, but the result will still be NID.
Sep 9th, 2012 07:09 PM
kris719
Re: After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face m

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
Where are all the usual suspects who come into these threads foaming at the mouth, shouting, "Serena couldn't even win a single point against the 1000th ranked male!!" and so on and so on... it's obvious to anyone who knows tennis that Serena's serve would cause plenty of problems for ATP players, and she would win some service games against them, although I don't think she could win any return games.

One point thats worth marking: McEnroe, Borg, and Connors did not serve as hard as Serena today. They topped out at 115, and 110 was a fast serve for them.
everybody knows that rackets were twigs back then compared to what they are now.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome