TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Tena Lukas thread Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Sep 9th, 2017 04:11 PM
ma re
Re: Tena Lukas thread

^^ Just to clarify my part here - I've read about the courts here on the forum years ago, I really don't remember who said it first, but it was my mistake not to check that info.

And as for her brother's studies in the States, I believe it was posted in some newspaper article. It's probably the case of our journalists not really giving a shite about what they're writing so they jumped to conclusions to get the job done. God knows it wouldn't be the first time.
Sep 9th, 2017 03:25 PM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

I really didn't want to discuss but just to clarify some things. It is surely that Tena and her family are not poor and I have never said that thing. They are not poor, but are not as rich as some people think.

Otherwise, Tena would have some high profile coach and not her father, would play more tournaments around world, maybe could try with tournaments in Asia (only once she did but she didn't feel good there) and wouldn't play league matches (and you know this ) to finance her tenis path . Her mother wouldn't work in school for more than 30 years and her father wouldn't run local tennis club to live. If she stops with tennis, she surely couldn't live for rest of life from family money (as her parents have average or slightly above average income for Croatia), but would have to work to earn for life as any person. For normal Croatian standards they could live very decently but to finance path of professional tennis player as Tena is now and what she needs at the moment, I know they struggle to do so. That's all I wanted to say.
Sep 9th, 2017 02:54 PM
PatsyStone
Re: Tena Lukas thread

You seem to be somehow related to them somehow, that's why it's pointless to discuss.
I had seen real struggle of ITF players and Tena is not as poor as you claim.
Sep 9th, 2017 01:08 PM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyStone View Post
I still think that the decision to kill whole 10k cycle in Croatia on the expense of WTA125 which is not played by best Croatian players anyway is the worst thing that has happened to Croatian tennis.

How many 10k in CRO are now? Two? Where those young girls are supposed to get points and in the past Tena also benefited from those tournaments.
Sorry, but you are speaking about things you are not informed to. First of all, all this big futures cycle in Croatia started because of Feliks's innovative approach to make something bigger and he saw struggles of her sister (who in that time still was mainly futures player) and wanted to do something for tennis in Croatia and for talented local players. Which he very good knows about it as his father runs local tennis club and knows very well about other local clubs as well. Speaking only about Dalmatia now.
To shortly explain you, organization and final cost-benefit of futures and WTA is completely different and related. While WTA is extremely bigger project which depends mainly on sponsors with much higher expenses, on the other side futures tournaments are not so attractive for bigger sponsors (but only some smaller) and rely and depend on themselves and with good and smart organization it can be possible to close financial construction.

I will say it clearly and by simple facts you and everyone can see it. Futures tournaments in Croatia, at least in organization of Lukas Sport, were NOT canceled because of WTA project! It was more difficult to start WTA project in 2016 than continue with it in 2017 and in 2016 we still had futures. We had less futures because of WTA in May-June because it wasn't possible to get other dates for organization. There were some negotiations to get more tournaments in April but it wasn't possible for technical reasons. And as 6 weeks tournaments were May - June (first two weeks) and WTA was first week of June, it wasn't possible to organize full futures as in 2014 and 2015. But futures were organized and Feliks has wanted (and still wants) to continue with project!
Futures tournaments were canceled due to increase in prize money and nobody of involved partners (will not name it but you can get who they are) didn't want to get part of 50% increase in prize money on them and basically, Feliks had to take all new costs and project has became totally unprofitable for Feliks, and therefore, impossible to continue. With 10k prize money, this futures project was on merge of cost effectiveness but with increase in prize money, it became impossible.

However, if partners show understanding and willingness, Feliks surely would relive this project again.

That is about futures and WTA story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyStone View Post
And regarding this article bout Feliks - he does not have a flat, a car, but he wears Hilfilger, Ralph Lauren and other rather not so cheap fashion brands, is now at US Open, definitely shows them as family above Croatian average. And I had seen poverty in Croatia.
Well, he is obligate to participate at meeting of all WTA directors and therefore, has to go to those annual meetings. With very small profit of project and sponsors, he basically invest that money to those trips because there he meets incredible number of people and he negotiates and is doing lobby for WTA in Croatia. As already said, he is basing his projects on networking and that's why he is successful. And surely he will not arrive on that meeting in jeans, there is kind of dress code.
But if he (or his family) had that much money, you really think he at least wouldn't by his own car and to not speak about flat and he is already 30 years old?
Sep 9th, 2017 11:42 AM
PatsyStone
Re: Tena Lukas thread

I still think that the decision to kill whole 10k cycle in Croatia on the expense of WTA125 which is not played by best Croatian players anyway is the worst thing that has happened to Croatian tennis.
How many 10k in CRO are now? Two? Where those young girls are supposed to get points and in the past Tena also benefited from those tournaments.

And regarding this article bout Feliks - he does not have a flat, a car, but he wears Hilfilger, Ralph Lauren and other rather not so cheap fashion brands, is now at US Open, definitely shows them as family above Croatian average. And I had seen poverty in Croatia.
Sep 9th, 2017 09:09 AM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Somehow it became public knowledge here on this forum that Tena comes from money, so I'm surprised by this post by Hele too.

Doesn't her family own all the courts in Bol - that's quite a bit of capital? Didn't her brother study business at some American university? That's also something very few people here could afford themselves.

I was certainly under the impression she comes from a rich family.
Can you tell me what source made you to think so?? Especially about Bol courts and her brother studying in USA? None of those things is true.
Courts in Bol are owned and managed by Bluesun Hotels company which is information that can be easily checked.

Also, it is one more disinformation that her brother studied business at some American university. He holds diploma for business from Faculty of Economics, University of Split which is easily can be checked on his Linkedin. https://hr.linkedin.com/in/feliks-lukas-29b38573
But, he was working in USA and Luxembourg because he was seeking for international experience. But he went there to work on job he found and got and not to study.

Also, by his vision and craziness to dare, he decided to try to organize tournaments in Croatia (basically from nothing), first futures and then he got chance for WTA which he took all risk without having any sponsor but didn't want to let go that chance. He could organize tournament anywhere in Europe (outdoor, red clay) but declined all offers and decided to fight with Croatian bureaucracy and mentality (and you know what that means) here because is big local patriot. If you carefully read interview you will notice he has a lot of struggles to close finance construction: Zlatnom ratu nisu ravni ni Havaji > Slobodna Dalmacija

Quote:
– Velikim radom i uz odaziv državnih institucija i sponzora uspjeli smo i ove godine zatvoriti priču da se turnir mirno organizira. Čeka nas novi spektakl, a Zlatni će rat biti tamo gdje i do sada – zadovoljno je ustvrdio Tihomir Marinković, načelnik Općine Bol, bez čije bi podrške direktoru Lukasu bilo nemoguće organizirati turnir.

Kao i bez podrške lokalne zajednice, malih ljudi koji vole tenis i koji su povratak WTA turnira prihvatili objeručke.

– Da prošle godine nije bilo pojedinaca koji su osigurali jedan apartman, jedan topli obrok... Teško bih zatvorio financijsku konstrukciju. No i to je posebna draž ove manifestacije – ustvrdio je Lukas.
You can found more about him and his family here, and despite being sensational headline, it is completely true:
Feliks Lukas: Nemam ni stan ni auto, ali imam WTA turnir! > Slobodna Dalmacija

Mostly, he has founded all his project on networking and is doing that part amazingly. Yet, he struggles sometimes in operative part because can't afford much people for tournament he should employee but with volunteers and few quality people in organization, yet he manages to organize it.

But anyway, people just see her brother organizing WTA tournament and then think her brother and family is rich and start to fabricate unfounded stories based on assumptions (how something should look like when you see that kind of final product) without knowing 1% of struggle what's hidden in the background. (and do not saying and do not thinking on you, that you are doing this, but you also could hear from something such things and make your own conclusions )
Sep 9th, 2017 06:51 AM
ma re
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Somehow it became public knowledge here on this forum that Tena comes from money, so I'm surprised by this post by Hele too.

Doesn't her family own all the courts in Bol - that's quite a bit of capital? Didn't her brother study business at some American university? That's also something very few people here could afford themselves.

I was certainly under the impression she comes from a rich family.
Sep 8th, 2017 11:28 PM
networthy
Re: Tena Lukas thread

^ In that case, I stand corrected, and I apologize for assuming she came from money.

I hope you're right that she can make it
Sep 8th, 2017 06:38 PM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
She's not good enough to earn a living playing the pros

But it looks like she has family, money so doesn't need the prize money to support hersel
Not true at all. Tena is not from rich family and she struggles a lot with finances. It is totally contrary, if she is rich to doesn't care she (and her family) surely would invest in her: for coaches, treatments, equipment, more tournaments to play etc and I'm sure she already would be at least top 200.
Also, league matches she plays to earn money to finance her professional path distract her from tournaments very often.
Basically, all her life she has been coached by her father and I think, to arrive to world 262nd place with being basically family product (in all terms as her father has been her coach) and to struggle with finances is small miracle. In such high competitive sport like tennis, I believe it is big success. It is rare for our players to make impact in rankings to being coached by only Croatian coaches (very small number of examples if you analyze Croatian players and their coaches, Sprem-Hriszon, Konjuh has worked only with Croatian coaches and who else)?
Tena is player of a moment and can make big noise when she is on her best. But to get there she needs tournaments and matches in continuation which she struggles to find because of her finances. Do not forget there is always pressure to adjust, even relatively small investments her family did for her, but basically, her family is living for her and they are giving their all to try to make her path to happen and to fulfill her potential. But with about average Croatian story, it is not easy at all.
I know Tena can be amazing and I think she needs a bit more time.
Sep 8th, 2017 03:30 PM
networthy
Re: Tena Lukas thread

She's not good enough to earn a living playing the pros

But it looks like she has family, money so doesn't need the prize money to support hersel
Sep 8th, 2017 01:14 PM
bertus324
Re: Tena Lukas thread

lost 0 -6 4-6 agains Hercog

won only 6 points in the first set
Sep 7th, 2017 11:09 PM
networthy
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Tena needs a new career-high ranking. Her last one came two years ago
Sep 7th, 2017 09:15 PM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Today she beat her black cat Bondar 7-6 3-6 6-1! I think her best result this season! But difficult to expect another step forward as next opponent is Hercog who needed 3 sets today to beat Mrdeza.
Sep 6th, 2017 11:13 AM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Since last time we were in this thread Tena played some tournaments in Hungary. First at 25k Hodmezovasarhely beat 2nd seed of that tournament and ending her 10 wins streak, during tournament 217th (which is also her career high) Elena Gabriela Ruse in straight sets, 6-4 6-4. But just to lose in next round to qualifier Grymalska 6-4 6-7(3) 6-2.

Week after, at Dunakeszi 60k she retired after losing first set 6-1 to Teichmann.

This week she is getting some good form again. In first round Tena survived drama against Marcinkevica (WTA 320, CH 196) 6-4 4-6 7-6(5) and today she crushed 7th seed, Brescia (WTA 208, CH 203) 6-2 6-2! Possible encounter with Bondar or Ponchet who are now in third set!
Aug 7th, 2017 05:44 PM
Hele.
Re: Tena Lukas thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyStone View Post
She did not want to play but played it anyway. Weird logic.
Tennis is full of weird logic and you know, tennis players have their team support member(s) that they have to listen despite sometimes they would make different decision.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome