TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires...... Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Dec 14th, 2012 03:00 PM
oliviasmith
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I don't even want to think about Serena retiring. Ever. The emotions, phone checks, texts to family for score updates, mantras and match time superstitions I can't see being transferred to another player. I will say I am pleased Vika is coming into her own because she is my life after Serena.
add the church visits and broken promises to God and everything you've posted is me to the t. i need a hug.
Dec 14th, 2012 01:08 PM
StoneRose
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
1. If, and this is a BIG IF, if I bad repped you May, why would you wait till freaking December to bad rep me? Sounds like you have a problem of holding on to things. Move on!

2. Unless someone hacked into my account, I did not bad rep you or anyone for that matter in the month of May because I can prove it:

jrollaneres25(me) did not even KNOW that good or bad repping existed until last month(November)!!!

Please don't pass on to me what has happened to you from previous people(again, a sign that you hold on to things, Let it go man!) on Tennisforum or in your personal life.

And to make my point that I thought I had made clear(but I guess not), Serena would not be as great as she is now if it hadn't been for the bar that Venus set( Again, THESE ARE HER WORDS!)
You badrepped me 4 Dec for a post i wrote in May. This is what you wrote:



I understood your point, i just don't (fully) agree with it. We don't know how great Serena would have been so we can only speculate.
Dec 14th, 2012 06:28 AM
jrollaneres25
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
I was only stating that Serena would always have been a great player with or without Venus. I can't agree with you that Venus is as good as Serena and as for ultimate competition for Serena i think Justine is up there with Venus.

You badrepped me for a statement i wrote in May this year in that thread without giving any arguments. I never badrep others for statements they make. I'll try to argue about that statement or if i think it's dumb i will occasionally say so. But if i'm badrepped myself without argument i will sometimes return that favor, call that childish, apparently that's how we are.

As i said before i don't see the sisters as an unseparable pair. I like Serena more, you like Venus more, NP.
1. If, and this is a BIG IF, if I bad repped you May, why would you wait till freaking December to bad rep me? Sounds like you have a problem of holding on to things. Move on!

2. Unless someone hacked into my account, I did not bad rep you or anyone for that matter in the month of May because I can prove it:

jrollaneres25(me) did not even KNOW that good or bad repping existed until last month(November)!!!

Please don't pass on to me what has happened to you from previous people(again, a sign that you hold on to things, Let it go man!) on Tennisforum or in your personal life.

And to make my point that I thought I had made clear(but I guess not), Serena would not be as great as she is now if it hadn't been for the bar that Venus set( Again, THESE ARE HER WORDS!)
Dec 14th, 2012 06:21 AM
jrollaneres25
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
All StoneRose is trying to say is that if Venus were a terrible tennis player, Serena still would've been great. She her physical tools and assets to be successful and most importantly, she knows she's the best. If Serena had none of these things, no matter how great Venus is, she would not have been as successful as she is, and that's a fact. You can't make gold out of sawdust.

Relax, my god.
Dec 14th, 2012 03:43 AM
it-girl
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

I am just not even remotely ready to wrap my head around this. I know for a fact that I will be distraught.
Dec 14th, 2012 03:38 AM
Papi
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I don't even want to think about Serena retiring. Ever. The emotions, phone checks, texts to family for score updates, mantras and match time superstitions I can't see being transferred to another player. I will say I am pleased Vika is coming into her own because she is my life after Serena.
Likewise.
Dec 14th, 2012 03:25 AM
Diesel
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

I don't even want to think about Serena retiring. Ever. The emotions, phone checks, texts to family for score updates, mantras and match time superstitions I can't see being transferred to another player. I will say I am pleased Vika is coming into her own because she is my life after Serena.
Dec 14th, 2012 02:25 AM
StoneRose
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
Hello!?? Earth to StoneRose!!

Seems as though you have know back-knowledge on the sisters whatsoever!

Serena has always had Venus(Who I think is still just as talented and can still beat Peak Serena when healthy) as a benchmark to live up to. Junior Tennis, Venus was 63-0 in tournament play(not 63 matches, tournaments) and Serena was something like 56-3 or something like that. When they played matches against each other Venus would always murder Serena. And Serena's ultimate competition has always been Peak Venus Williams. She has been the queen and Richard prophetically stated that when Venus wants something, NO ONE(Not even a roaring Peak Serena) can stop her! But he also stated that Serena would be the better tennis player(Translation: have the better career)

p.s. Weren't you the one who badrepped me in my Venus Thread, FOR NO REASON!??? Just vicious from you!
I was only stating that Serena would always have been a great player with or without Venus. I can't agree with you that Venus is as good as Serena and as for ultimate competition for Serena i think Justine is up there with Venus.

You badrepped me for a statement i wrote in May this year in that thread without giving any arguments. I never badrep others for statements they make. I'll try to argue about that statement or if i think it's dumb i will occasionally say so. But if i'm badrepped myself without argument i will sometimes return that favor, call that childish, apparently that's how we are.

As i said before i don't see the sisters as an unseparable pair. I like Serena more, you like Venus more, NP.
Dec 14th, 2012 01:30 AM
Jane Lane
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
Hello!?? Earth to StoneRose!!

Seems as though you have know back-knowledge on the sisters whatsoever!

Serena has always had Venus(Who I think is still just as talented and can still beat Peak Serena when healthy) as a benchmark to live up to. Junior Tennis, Venus was 63-0 in tournament play(not 63 matches, tournaments) and Serena was something like 56-3 or something like that. When they played matches against each other Venus would always murder Serena. And Serena's ultimate competition has always been Peak Venus Williams. She has been the queen and Richard prophetically stated that when Venus wants something, NO ONE(Not even a roaring Peak Serena) can stop her! But he also stated that Serena would be the better tennis player(Translation: have the better career)

p.s. Weren't you the one who badrepped me in my Venus Thread, FOR NO REASON!??? Just vicious from you!
All StoneRose is trying to say is that if Venus were a terrible tennis player, Serena still would've been great. She her physical tools and assets to be successful and most importantly, she knows she's the best. If Serena had none of these things, no matter how great Venus is, she would not have been as successful as she is, and that's a fact. You can't make gold out of sawdust.

Relax, my god.
Dec 14th, 2012 01:08 AM
ampers&
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Venus:



Serena:

Dec 14th, 2012 01:04 AM
jrollaneres25
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
Sure Aga < Venus but still good enough to learn some neat tennis tricks from. Point is Serena, more than Ula, picked up what was there to be learned so well because she's so talented. Venus being there has helped, the competitiveness you mentioned was probably especially important. But provided she took those first tennis lessons she was always going to be a great player.
Hello!?? Earth to StoneRose!!

Seems as though you have know back-knowledge on the sisters whatsoever!

Serena has always had Venus(Who I think is still just as talented and can still beat Peak Serena when healthy) as a benchmark to live up to. Junior Tennis, Venus was 63-0 in tournament play(not 63 matches, tournaments) and Serena was something like 56-3 or something like that. When they played matches against each other Venus would always murder Serena. And Serena's ultimate competition has always been Peak Venus Williams. She has been the queen and Richard prophetically stated that when Venus wants something, NO ONE(Not even a roaring Peak Serena) can stop her! But he also stated that Serena would be the better tennis player(Translation: have the better career)

p.s. Weren't you the one who badrepped me in my Venus Thread, FOR NO REASON!??? Just vicious from you!
Dec 14th, 2012 12:54 AM
jrollaneres25
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Me too That was the first tennis match I ever saw. It's a life time ago now.
Still seems like yesterday to me
Dec 14th, 2012 12:53 AM
jrollaneres25
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
of course there would have been a Serena. They're close but their personalities are nothing alike. Different tennis styles as well. For me it's a bit odd they're so often grouped together.
They both raised the bar, it wasn't just Serena. And this is something that both have stated.

But even before going on tour, Venus had always been the best tennis player between the both of them. Serena didn't get her official first win over Venus until 2002, which was arguably her best tennis season. Recognize bro
Dec 14th, 2012 12:25 AM
Sir Stefwhit
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

^oh and even though I'm not the biggest supporter of Venus I still appreciates what she brings to the game and when she retires I will miss her to. Obviously it won't be comparable to when Serena retires but nonetheless Vee will be missed as well.
Dec 14th, 2012 12:22 AM
Sir Stefwhit
Re: The Day Venus And/Or Serena Retires......

I'm dreading the day... Saying goodbye to someone you supported for so long is difficult enough, but finding joy in the sport after a favorite retires is easier said that done.

When I first started watching tennis I immediately took to Chris Evert and the day she retired was awful. Lucky for me I had Steffi around to pour all my love and attention to. Now when Steffi retired I thought it was the end if the world. I had major w.drawals and to be honest tennis just wasn't the same. I liked Serena at that time but I wasn't the die-hard fan I would grow to become.

Thinking back I've been lucky enough to have players on tour to help me transition from one generation to the next. My only hope is that when Serena does retire that there will be someone who can at least capture half of my imagination and inspire me to get behind and cheer for. Otherwise it will be a dark day in tennis. This all just means I gotta really appreciate her even more now, while we still have her around!
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome