TennisForum.com - Reply to Topic
Thread: Importance of the olympics? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
Sep 10th, 2008 04:07 PM
Miss Amor
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworb View Post
Olympic Gold is the best thing a tennis player can achieve. The Slams are nothing in comparison. A tennis player is only legendary if she has won Olympic Gold.

In singles.
The OG which you are talking about, you can only get it in the year 2000... venus
Sep 10th, 2008 02:57 PM
Kworb
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Olympic Gold is the best thing a tennis player can achieve. The Slams are nothing in comparison. A tennis player is only legendary if she has won Olympic Gold.

In singles.
Sep 10th, 2008 12:05 PM
azza
Re: Importance of the olympics?

who the hell is Wazza
Sep 10th, 2008 10:45 AM
frenchie
Re: Importance of the olympics?

GS > Olympics = YEC > Tier1
Sep 10th, 2008 10:26 AM
dany.p
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post
And I told you that people are always subjective therefore they can't be more objective.
I disagree. i think people can be more objective. As human beings, we're inherently biased, but still if your aware of ways in which you are biased, you can undertake measures to overcome this. At least that's what i was taught in psychology.

In regards to actual issue, what i was trying to say is that during the olympics, people may have over-evaluated the importance of it by getting caught up in the excitment of it all. now that its over, and the excitments died down, i can assume that some posters will be able to reflect on the question a bit more accurately. I'm sorry if this didn't come across more clearly in my post.
Sep 10th, 2008 10:09 AM
Navratil
Re: Importance of the olympics?

It's not a Grand-Slam!!

Probably the same importance as the Masters!
Sep 10th, 2008 07:05 AM
Lunaris
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Where did i say people answers would be objective??? all i said was posters might be more objective. There's a difference.
And I told you that people are always subjective therefore they can't be more objective.
Sep 10th, 2008 01:12 AM
dany.p
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Also, a few posters are saying that having Elena win in no way diminishes the olympics prestige, and i totally agree. Having a player ranked outside the top 50 (it's an extreme example, but still) win a grandslam says more about the player, then it does about the tournament. I bought it up in the initial post because i wanted to see what peoples opinions were on the issue.
Sep 10th, 2008 01:02 AM
dany.p
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post
No answer can be objective. Every person is a subject, therefore their respective opinions and answers are always subjective. The only objective things are indisputable facts.
So this thread is completely pointless as the issue it deals with has been discussed too many times to count already and people can't be any more objective in their answers.
Where did i say people answers would be objective??? all i said was posters might be more objective. There's a difference.
Sep 10th, 2008 01:00 AM
Elisse
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Personally for me, the Olympic medal is more important than a Slam - I love the Olympics Slams are played every year, whereas the Olympics is once every four years...some players will only ever get a chance to play in one Olympics in their whole career...some don't even get that chance.

I think the Olympics are also important for another reason, it's not just another sporting event...it is the top sporting event, a piece of history and for most people, it is a dream to even be able to compete, let alone to be able to win a medal. I know (myself included) that a lot of people find the Olympics a very emotional thing, I don't feel that emotion about the Slams, even though they are exciting...it's different.

As for Dementieva winning the gold.....I think her winning is a perfect illustration of how the Olympics inspires some people. We all know she has been so close to winning the top tournies in her career..but never quite made it. But to see her win the gold..that really seems a very fitting title for her win, seeing as she is a big sentimental favorite of many of the posters here on the board. So I certainly don't see her gold medal as being infuriour to a Slam title, the matches in Beijing were played in tough conditions.......extreme humidity, pollution, rain delays, bad scheduling etc... it was not easy. So the players who managed to get to the latter stages of the events, definately deserved the medals that they won!!
Sep 9th, 2008 11:24 PM
RFSTB
Re: Importance of the olympics?

First, the important thing about the Olympics is not to win but to participate. So arguing about whether an Olympic gold is worth more or less than a Slam is missing the point IMO. The experience of competing alongside 11,000 of the worlds' best athletes on the world's biggest stage far exceeds anything a tennis player will ever experience in any Slam. Just compare the Olympic opening ceremony to the opening of the US Open. The sheer scale of the Olympics is mind blowing. The slams are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Second, the Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world. The Beijing Games were watched by 4.7 billion people around the world. In the US alone it was watched by 216 million people over 17 days. How many watch the the 4 slams combined each year? The US Open attracted a paltry 3.4 million viewers in the US the entire Labor day weekend. Not only that but tennis stars were treated like rock stars at the Olympics, often shown on camera during the parade of nations. So in terms of marketing and exposure for tennis players and the sport of tennis itself, the Olympics has a far bigger impact than any slam.

Third, how important is it for the players? The fact that all 8 women's quarterfinalists and all 4 men's semi-finalists played in Beijing is testament to the fact that this is an event many take seriously. It's not more or less than a slam. It shouldn't be measured that way. It is just an important event unto itself. Almost all top players get that, because they are first and foremost athletes. The Olympics appeal to the athletes in them. It's time the fans get that too.

That said, I'm really glad an Olympic gold is not considere the pinnacle of achievement in tennis. Look at all the sports where this is the case, gymnastics, T&F, swimming, skating...15 minutes of fame every 4 years. In btwn the Olympic years no one cares about these athletes or sports. So I'm glad tennis has established itself to a point where it stays relevant year round and every year.
Sep 9th, 2008 08:34 PM
AndreConrad
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
How important the Olympics is, is something personal to an individual. The WTA wrote down their opinion when they assigned it points.
  • Henin got 750 for winning the YEC last year.
  • Serena got 500 for winning Miami.
  • Dementieva got 353 points for winning the Olympics. (More than a Tier II, less than a Tier I)
But the Olympics is almost a .... it's a different thing. People value just participating in the Olympics. Some of the greatest moments come when people lose, badly, but struggle on to finish. Put it a different way. Winning an Olympic bronze medal is just losing in the semis of a Tier 2.5 tournament. In life, it's something else.

The Olympics just doesn't really belong on this scale.
Great post, absolutely agree; let me also quote myself from the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreConrad View Post
It is not the same as GS, but not less important. It is just different. Player doesn't get as many shots to win it and it is a dream of many. Olympic gold is like honorary title vs. GS is your professional title.
Sep 9th, 2008 08:24 PM
fatty sausage
Re: Importance of the olympics?

wow...interesting how everyone has different opinions on the Olympics. For me, I could care less about the Olympics. I turned the station whenever it was on TV b/c I can watch tennis anytime of the year--it is just not that special. Infact, they can drop tennis from the Olympics and I wouldn't mind.
Sep 9th, 2008 08:16 PM
Shvedbarilescu
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
i said 'play' 5 matches against top 10 players not win. also sharapova had 7 straight foreward, straight sets matches this year at the oz open, that dosen't mean her draw was easy. so even if a player has an easy win early in the YEC it will certainly not be against lesser players.

the fact that players may be tierd only adds to how difficult it is to win in my eyes.
Okay fair enough. There's definately room for different opinions on this.....
Sep 9th, 2008 08:15 PM
homogenius
Re: Importance of the olympics?

Olympics = YEC >>> any Tier I (Miami may be the biggest Tier I but it's still not a "5th slam" or whatever those who market it want to call it).

Olympics is far more prestigious than YEC but it's less meaningfull in tennis than in other sports (+ the YEC is the most important event after the slams) so I rate them about equal.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome