PDA

View Full Version : my qualifying day 1 and 2 reports (seles_beckham and zlatko would love it)......

Mon's boy
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:32 AM
well on thursday i went to the da 1st round of qualies coz i wanted to watch my new hero, mervana jugic-salkic, in action for the first time. she played the 2nd match on court 5 but i noticed her watching her doubles partners darija jurak's match but i was 2 shy to come up 2 her and say anything plus she was with some people so it would have been akward. so i waited until she was warming up and then all of a sudden she went to the toilet. so i waited until she came out and went up 2 her. i introduced myself and congratulated her on her doubles with in auckland with jelena, and told her how proud i was of her, ive been waiting for a good bosnian player 2 come along for years and years. she thanked me a few times. i asked her how she liked melbourne and she said that it was very nice. she said she wasnt playing doubles with jelena coz she already had an agreement with another player, she didnt know who. instead she would play with darija which is her regular doubles partner anyways, they got straight into the main draw. i told her good luck in her match and let her go back to warming up.

then i met up with rada, sm, ts, bello and ausboy and we cruised the courts for a bit. then when it came time for mervana's match i went to the court. i was wearing by bosnia soccer top and came ready with my bosnian flag:) :cool: when i got there i noticed some other guys with the same tops and i was like how cool, more people came out 2 support her. and then i realised they were actually friends of mine and i was very surprised coz they werent tennis fans at all, but i went to sit with them so that we can make some noise. she played great. really overpowering the russian chick whose name im not gonna spell, i just refer to her as the girl with 2 forehands who played monica at the us open a few years back. mervana has a killer forehand, which is her major weapon. she loves to control the point with it by hanging out in the left side of the court and especially likes to his the off forehand from that position or somtimes change it up by going dont the line. she really gives it a huge whack with a lot of topspin. her serve it also very good. so the basis of her game is the forehand and the serve. the backhand it very steady and she also moves very well, and the net play is also very good. so in the end she kicked her ass 61 63 and i was very impressed. the atmosphere was great we cheered her on as loud as we could and we had a great time. after the match she came up 2 us and thanked us a lot for the support. i took a foto with her and had a bit of a chat. we asked us which cities in bosnia we're from. she said that after melbourne shes playing a $75k in italy, but just the doubles coz she wants a bit of a rest coz shes been playing so much the last few months. than after that the wta tourney in india. and after that shes not sure. i asked her again what she thought of melbourne and this country and she said that she hasnt seen much apart from the hotel and the courts, which i thought was a bit of a shame. then she had 2 go so we said goodbye.

my friends then left and i stayed around watching some of the other matches. i was wacthing a croatian guy, roko karanusic, play and she came up behind me and said 'u still here?:)' and i said that my friends are not big tennis fans but i was so i wanted to check out a few more players. so we chatted a bit more. she said that she was originally from zenica, but i knew that, but she lives in zagreb, coz the facilities are not the best in bosna and its hard to get good sparring partners. i had a smoke and i offered her one:devil: but she started laughing and said 'haha thats funny' in english. she actually speaks pretty good english. but she did want some of my chewing gum which i offered 2 her. i told her that if she wanted to see some of the sites of melb that i would show her no problem. but she said that the coach is really strict on her going out. i joked and i said that there is a 'hari mata hari' (who is a very popular bosnian singer, the balkan posters will know who he is) concert on saturday and that she should come seeing as she has sunday off anyways. she laughed and said say hi 2 hari 4 me, we are old friend. so she was trying 2 be a bit of a smartass there;) hehehe. but shes such a lovely girl, really nice and down 2 earth, just an :angel: . i also asked her who she hangs around with on the tour, she said that all the players and pretty close and friends, but everyone has their own team and u have 2 focus so its hard. but she mostly hangs around with the cro players i guess. then darija came down 2 watch as well and she introduced me 2 her. darija is very cute. then after the match she went off for a massage. that was basically the whole convo, but there was some other bits and peaces that are not that important and that i cant be bothered writing;)

oh yeah, i forgot to say that i met her coach also. a cro guy who also coaches darija. i didnt like him very much actually, i though she was one of those psycho coaches. all he had 2 say was negative, she was playing really well in my opinion and he was going that shes playing like an idiot and that she been doing this for ages, and im like what the fuck. i know coaches are supposed 2 be strict, but this guy wasnt even giving positive critisicm. he was just bitching and whining. he seemed 2 have a very short temper and was very nervy.

day 2 - she was supposed 2 play the 1st match on court 13 but for some reason they moved it to the 2nd match. so i went to watch darija play again sandra kloesel. i was sitting in the stands by myself when i heard somesay 'good morning mirza, how are you?' and i turned around and it was her:) :) she went to sit with her coach and watch the match and i sat with my bosnian friends. darija got whipped 61 62 but kloesel was really playing well. i was thinking boy the coach is really gonna be in a bad mood 2day. the 1st match on court 13 was taking forever between washington and marosi i thought i was gonna die, i just couldnt handl;e it anymore. mervana or 'meri' as her friends call her was watching a bit so i chatted with her a bit more then. so when they finally came out for the match. i was hoping for a pretty straight forward win but i knew the argentine girl was pretty talented having seen a bit of her match vs bedanova and i knew it was gonna be tough. gussoni really impressed me, she has a beautiful game to watch. a henin like backhand, she gets everything back with heavy topsin, just a joy 2 watch. and that was the difference 2day. gussoni got everything back, whereas meri made far 2 many mistakes and her backhand was really off 2day, she was really starting to lose confidence a lot, she started slicing on it. the sun was also giving her trouble when it came to serving. also a few bad line calls and net cords. she just didnt play the big points well enough and that was the difference 2day. she led 2-0 in the 2nd and had chances for 3-0, but lost the last 6 gameso f the match. taking nothing away from gussoni who was the better player on the day and totally deserved to win, i think this girl can go places. i was very dissapointed with mervana, but therell be next time. she is a very very talented and i love her game, she just has 2 get more experience at this level i guess. it was funny coz gussoni told the umpire to keep us quiet coz we were making 2 much noise in between her 1st and 2nd serve. i also also thought natalia gussoni was pretty cute. jelena jankovic also watched the 2nd set of the match which was nice 2 see, and also dragana zaric.

after the match i told her not 2 worry, that we still love her. but she has a great attitude about things. i said that ill see her on wednesday most likely 4 the doubles and she said that she will get us free tickets, and that it wouldnt be a problem. :worship: so im really really excited for the doubles now, i cant wait

well thats my experince, it was 2 days that i will never forget.....it meant so much 2 me

croat123
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:36 AM
i'm jealous! your so lucky! thanx for the report :D

Sandstorm
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:37 AM
hej croat,sada ce Roko!

AUSBOY
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Nice report Monsboy or is that gonna be Meri's Boy now??????

matthias
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM
wow, seems like you had a great day!
i hope you will post the pic of you and mervana soon :D

Mon's boy
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:04 AM
croat123i'm jealous! your so lucky! thanx for the report :D

hehehe so u should be:bounce: :devil: :)

AUSBOYNice report Monsboy or is that gonna be Meri's Boy now??????
no, ill always be mon's boy

matthiaswow, seems like you had a great day!
i hope you will post the pic of you and mervana soon :D
i know, i cant wait 2 develop it and see it myself.....and ill post it here as son as i get it

lauryn
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Great report! :)

Jem
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Great report, Mons Boy. Glad you made the most of your time there and met your fave face to face.

Dymension
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Nice report :)

Zl@tko
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Great report, as I expected! :)
I didn't know she was from Zenica, I was born there too :)

Seles_Beckham
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM
:bounce: :wavey: :worship:

So happy for you, I hope you did enjoy it.

Thank you for this :worship:

Bas mi je drago da si se upoznao sa Mervanom. Jedva cekam da vidim slike.

bbypk
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM
What a report!!! ;)

vogus
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Funny to hear that after all the troubles and the wars in the last decade, the ex-Yugos (Serbians, Bosnians, Croatians) seem to stick together on the tour! Nice report.