PDA

View Full Version : Lena in Melbourne...

Keith17
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Elena Bovina RUS (21) vs. Sandra Kleinova (CZE)
Tatiana Perebiynis (UKR) vs. Claudine Schaul (LUX)
Alicia Molik (AUS) vs. Qualifier
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) (15) vs. Adriana Serra-Zanetti (ITA)

Decent draw for Lena... nice to draw the worst player in the 9-16 seed range, but nothing else is easy.

1st Round - Sandra Kleinova (CZE) - Not the easiest 1st round opponent. Although ranked in the 80s, she had a good end to 2003 reaching QF in Leipzig... and having quite a few wins over higher ranked players. She's plays kind of like Cervanova also... not a real weapon, but will keep everything in.

Honestly... I think Kleinova is going to beat Lena.

Lena's head isn't all there now, and she is going to feel pressure because this match is going to be very much like Cervanova at US Open... and a loss here buries Lena in the rankings, and throws away the great indoor season she had. If Lena isn't firing at her best, Kleinova will just let Lena make stupid error after stupid error.

If Lena wins...

2nd round - Claudine Schaul (LUX) or Tatiana Perebiynis (UKR) - The winner of this match is up to Tatiana... she'll be the aggressor. If Lena plays well against Kleinova... she should beat either of these players.

3rd round - ??? - Molik would be the pick of this section, but I don't know how her injury is. It would be nice to face a Serra-Zanetti in the 3rd round of a Slam.

4th round - (4) Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) - If Lena somehow manages to get this far... this will be the end. Unfortunately, Lena wasn't fortunate enough to be in the section of Kim Clijsters (ankle) or Venus Williams (withdrawn at the last moment).

That is all.

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I think Lena has a great draw. I wouldn't change places with anyone else.
If she can't beat Cervanova and Kleinova, then it doesn't matter where she is in the draw.
Why was she playing doubles with Conchita?

the cat
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I expect Lena to get to the second week of Oz. :)

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:57 PM
I think Lena, Vera, Elena, and Nadia should all make the round of 16.
Nastya and Maria, one of them will just be unlucky to play the other in the third round.
And what a third round match that is.

the cat
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
If Nastya and Maria play each other in the third round Nastya will have the pressure of being the favorite.

goldenlox
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Nastya is #7 in the world. If she loses to Maria, she doesn't die, life goes on.
If Maria loses, it stops the hype early again. Just like New York.

Keith17
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I think Lena has a great draw. I wouldn't change places with anyone else.
If she can't beat Cervanova and Kleinova, then it doesn't matter where she is in the draw.
Why was she playing doubles with Conchita?

I was hoping she teamed with Conchita because she's now bisexual... but I guess that didn't last.

It does matter where she is in the draw. Lena could have drawn a crappy Aussie in the 1st 2 rounds.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing about her and Conchita. But they're not together this week.
I always look at the draw as vital. But I know Lena has good and bad days.
One match at a time.
There is a chance to have a Russian in each semi. Definately two quarters, if not three.

Keith17
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I will guarantee this now.

ZERO Russians will reach the Semifinals.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
We had an evening with zero degrees and -30 wind chill. I don't know how people in the cold weather cities live in it.

the cat
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Who's Bisexual? Lena or Conchita?

Keith, will a Russina make the quarterfinals? I think so. And if one or more Russina's makes the quarters why not the semi's?

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2004, 08:18 PM
What a great day this is. With the football, and the AO starting.
I only wish ESPN2 would come on now from Melbourne. Preview it, then start from the beginning.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:28 AM
The Tennis Channel should cover Oz in the hours ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't cover it.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:32 AM
With the football today, no one's watching ESPN2 anyway. They could have made day 1 a 15 hour tennis holiday. Instead they show one match.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:26 AM
One match? That's it?

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Lena won 4-6 6-1 7-5...

Not impressive in the slightest, but a win is a win.

More shocking to me is that Kleinova had more winners, and unforced errors... that's not a good sign at all.

Claudine Schaul is next. She beat Perebiynis 6-0 6-0 today... Tati probably played awful, as she does sometimes... but Schaul has had some good wins the past few months.

Lena needs to play better.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Udachi Lena! That match must have been a fun one to watch.
This is the advantage of a great draw. Against Kapros, this is a loss.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Who's Bisexual? Lena or Conchita?

Keith, will a Russina make the quarterfinals? I think so. And if one or more Russina's makes the quarters why not the semi's?

I was hoping Lena was so she'd be with me. I don't know about Conchita... I don't go for ugly types.

One Russina making the quarters... :haha: The 2 best chances went out the door today. Only other realistic chance is Nastya/Masha.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Udachi Lena! That match must have been a fun one to watch.
This is the advantage of a great draw. Against Kapros, this is a loss.

I don't know about that...

Kleinova isn't the best 1st round draw to have, especially for a player like Lena.

Lena would prefer the pace Aniko gives.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:34 AM
One down, 6 to go. I love the draw.
Lena might play Aniko next week. I would love that.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Don't snub your nose at Conchita, Keith. She could buy you your own Porsche! :drive:;)

Keith, it looks like you were right about the Russina's in Oz. :( What a disastrous day one! :eek: But atleast Lena showed some guts and fight out there in her comeback win. :)

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:05 AM
To me, it's only Elena that was a disaster. Aniko can play. She's going to be top 30. Maybe higher.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Aniko Kapros is a good tennis player, GL. Just remember that when you think of Maria Sharapova's first WTA title.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Let's see who has the better career.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Let's see who has a better career between who, GL? Sharapova and Kapros? Are you kidding me?

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Kapros' groundies alone could get her in the Top 20 someday. She needs major work on her fitness, and her 2nd serve, of course... both of which can be done.

Maria should easily surpass that... but you never know.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Kapros has beaten Justine and Nadia at majors. Right now she's ahead of Maria in big wins.
Maria leads in the rankings, but that margin will close up.

the cat
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Kapros is ahead of Maria in big wins because she's played on the WTA Tour for a few years while Masha has only played 1 year on the WTA Tour. I like Kapros but she does not have Mashara's great upside.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Maria will pass Kapros in bigs wins next week.

the cat
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Let's hope so.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Maybe Aniko and Maria will meet next week. A rematch.

the cat
Jan 20th, 2004, 04:36 AM
That's highly unlikely, GL. Sharapova and Kapros are in opposite sides of the draw and would only play each other in the final.

Keith17
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Maria will pass Kapros in bigs wins next week.

There's only a Tier 1 next week... will have to wait for quality Tier 3's.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Aniko got a tremendous break this week. The weakest quarter, and Nadia and Elena both played lousy.
Aniko can reach the quarters, and move up 40 spots in the rankings.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:15 AM
Lena is starting warmups for her 2nd round match with Schaul.

I'm not very optimistic, but I hope Lena proves me wrong and gets an impressive win.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Just win, who cares about impressive.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:19 AM
If she continues to suck against these lesser players, then Amelie will win 6-1 6-0. I don't want to see that since the match has a 1% chance of being televised.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM
Molik-Hantuchova is prime time RLA. Lena's next match should be RLA or at least a show court. Mauresmo is still way down the road.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Lena would probably be one of the 3 major courts if Molik won. Those Aussies love her. If you listened to them, you'd think Alicia is a Top 10 talent.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:39 AM
Molik has talent. There must be 30 players who can be where Nastya is. I think Kapros can be there.
They all need to stay healthy and get some lucky draws.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:44 AM
Alicia has game, Keith. if Elena D. had her serve she would be a top 5 player! :D But I don't think Alicia has a big ego or really believes she should be a top tennis player. I happen to think Molik can be a top 20 player and have the occasional impressive win. With the inspiring Aussie crowd behind her Molik might just steamroll Slender-ella (Daniela Hantuchova) tonight! :eek:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:49 AM
I expect Lena-Molik. But I prefer Dani.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:52 AM
It won't be Lena. :( Schaul beat her in straight sets.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:55 AM
That's true. Molik has a great draw. She could be the story of the AO, being an Aussie.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:21 AM
This forum should be deleted. I'm utterly disgusted.

It's sad that a 6'3" girl gets broken 75% of the time. It's sad just looking at Lena. She's such a waste of talent.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:24 AM
The breaks were unbelievable. It's like Elena D. against Serena.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:31 AM
This forum should be deleted. I'm utterly disgusted.

It's sad that a 6'3" girl gets broken 75% of the time. It's sad just looking at Lena. She's such a waste of talent.
It's sad to read what you've written.

Let's support one's fav "through thin and thick" like what you wrote earlier.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:37 AM
She's not happy no matter what Lena does.
And I'm happy no matter what Lena does. Go figure.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:31 AM
It's so early in the tennis season. Lena can turn it around.

Keith, is it possible you are overrating Lena's ability? I think alot of us are guilty of overrating the Russina's. I know I'm guilty of it. I think Lena has alot of potential. Perhaps she has top ten potential. But it's hard for very tall players to put it all together. There's only been 1 great female tennis player in history who was over 6' tall. And her name is Venus Williams.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:47 AM
I'm happy for Lena at times. I was so happy for her when I saw her in Toronto.

But, just look at her now... she looks emaciated. Comparing Lena's physique from 2001 to now, is depressing.

Her game has slipped so far that Sandra Kleinova controls points against Lena... and this is the girl that had Venus on a string for over a set, and played that great match with Jen just a few months ago.

In Toronto, it seemed like tennis was a chore for her. Her family and coach puts a lot of pressure on her. I saw her have a little spat with her mom, and I heard she was yelling at her mom in Roland Garros. Maybe Lena has that Russian mentality that she's made her million or so from tennis, and wants to lead a normal life. Maybe her leg or wrist injury is very bad to the point where she's lost a lot of her game. Maybe she's got some mental problems.

Just looking at the stats against Kleinova, you could tell something was really wrong.

I don't want to see Lena playing again until she puts on some considerable weight. I feel bad for even wanting her to win at Australian Open after I saw those Sydney pics. Screw tennis, someone needs to talk to her, and get things straight.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:52 AM
Does she look that different from Filderstadt?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:54 AM
I don't want to see Lena playing again until she puts on some considerable weight. I feel bad for even wanting her to win at Australian Open after I saw those Sydney pics.
It made me really sad when I read some posters wrote about Elena D's loss on Monday.

And today Keith17's posts about her feelings for and concern about Lena B make me very sad again.

I wish these players can be strong and get over those losses as soon as possible.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Does she look that different from Filderstadt?

Yes, she does. Her arms are skinnier, and her upper body lost all muscle. Lena wasn't looking great in Moscow either, but now she's much worse.

Here's some pics to compare. They're all of her hitting in the same position basically.

1st pic - Roland Garros 2001

2nd pic - Australian Open 2003

3rd pic - Moscow 2003

4th pic - Sydney 2004

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Lena's arms do look leaner. She's also changing strategy, and playing safe. To me, that could be why her results are erratic this month.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM
I hope Lena turns it around soon. But I think she will have to improve over time.

Keith made an interesting point about how Elena is under alot of pressure from her family. In that outstanding 1998 New York Times article on Elena Bovina, Maria Sharapova and the Bollettieri Tennis Academy, Nick Bollettieri pointed out in the article that after he had ended one of Lena's practices Lena's mother wanted Lena to practice longer and she started to cry because Nick ended Lena's practice before Lena's mother thought he should have. Just taking this 1 instance shows that Lena was under alot of pressure from her mother to succeed and she was made to work very hard. And that makes me think of Anna Kournikova who worked so hard in practice and in training from the age of 5 that her body broke down at a young age. I hope the same thing isn't happeneing to Lena.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:27 AM
I hope Lena is just experimenting with a different style.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Lena is playing mixed doubles today with some scrub, against 2 other scrubs.

I hope the male player doesn't hit too hard, and Lena blows away in the wind.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Davai Lena!!

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
GL, you don't have to cheer for mixed doubles.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM
A grand slam title is a grand slam title.
I'd like Lena to get one of those trophies.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Lena reached the mixed doubles final at 2002 RG.

So many people cared.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Elena L. has a Wimbledon mixed title. She will always be a Wimbledon champion.
I want Lena to be an AO champion.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:54 PM
First things first. She'll lose 1st round today.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
This is second round.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Lena should be preparing for Paris... lose another 10 pounds, and keep striving to play like Anna Smashnova.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Lena is still in Melbourne. She plays a mixed quarterfinal today. Davai baby!

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:51 AM
Our Lena is a grand slam champion.
Bow down before you enter the Herd.
DAVAI!!

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
What a tournament this was! Lena won a major. That's 6 figures.
Sveta and Elena reached the doubles final. That's 6 figures.
Nastya made the quarters. That's 6 figures.
And Nags Jr. was bounced early by Nastya. That's priceless!!

Keith17
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:46 AM
I'm still in awe that our Lena actually won a Grand Slam title... :)

Davai sweetie!

Taste this success... and realize you can earn these results in singles also.

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:49 AM
It's strange how things work out. No women's doubles. And only two singles matches.
So Lena's hanging around for mixed. And then she beat Lisa and Navs.
Lena has so much game. She earned this.
Now if she can take this consistency and bring it into her singles matches ...