PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying report Day 2

Experimentee
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Lee Waters def Breadmore

I only saw the last few games of each set, and Lindsay must have really stepped it up for the business ends as she was playing great, hitting big serves and winners everywhere. Lauren didnt have a chance from what I saw. I'm not sure how she got 8 games off Lindsay.

Santagelo def Lisjak

Mara played extremely well, I think shes in great form this week. Ivana played really crap, she couldnt hit most balls back in the court. Maybe it was Mara's great play that forced her to play so bad bc I'm sure she isnt that bad normally. Lisjak was wearing a short top that showed off her midriff, but there was a fair bit of flab around her tummy :o

Bammer def Jeon

Sybille played very well in this match, there were a lot of hard hitting rallies and Bammer dominated them, hitting lots of winners off both sides. Mi Ra was just outplayed today. Bammer had to call the trainer in the 2nd set because she had a nose bleed, but that didnt affect her play.

Groenefeld def Kanepi

Both girls were being aggressive, hitting hard and trying to finish the point quickly. Kaia made heaps of errors and Groenefeld knew when to come into the net when necessary to finish points, but Kaia stayed mainly on the baseline. ALG was 4-1 up in the 2nd but let it get back to 4-4, then she finally won the next two games to close it out. She kept her errors down when she needed to and was obviously the better player today.

Perry def Bondarenko

Neither player played well consistently in this match. Alyona started well, going up 3-0 with two breaks, then I left and when i came back it was on serve again, they went into the TB and Alyona made more errors and lost. I thought she would lose the 2nd set after that, so I left and came back to find her 5-0 up :eek: Shenay couldnt keep her balls in the court, and managed to win one game after a struggle, but that was all for the set. In the 3rd set Shenay started playing more consistently and Alyona was making lots of errors, though some of the games were long and close in the end Shenay managed to win with a bagel :o

Gussoni def Jugic Salkic

I didnt see much but from what I saw Mervana was the more attacking player, and Gussoni was a counterpuncher, and was doing this well. Mervana made a lot of good groundstroke winners and dominated the rallies, but Gussoni found a way to win them with excellent defensive play. Mervana made a lot more winners than Gussoni, but also a lot more errors.

Washington def Marosi

This was a fun, high quality match, with both players seeming to play well and lots of great rallies. It was very close and came down to mental strength and guts in the end and Mashona had more of this, having survived a close match yesterday too.

Sun def Liggan

This was a great match to watch, both players have hard groundies and try to attack from the baseline. It was close until 5-5, when i think Tian Tian won the next 5 games to take the set and go up 3-0 in the 3rd, and also led 4-1, but Liggan fought hard to get it back on serve at 4-4. However Tian Tian started playing her best again and took the 2nd 6-4. Tian Tian was very impressive in stepping up her level when she needed to. Liggan has a very loud grunt every time she hits the ball, after a match even a lineman was bagging her, imitating her grunt after the match was over! Tian Tian has a grunt too, but only when shes putting effort into her shot. Zi Yan and Jie Zheng were watching this match though they werent really clapping, just watching it from a distance. They were eating all kinds of junk food like packets of chips and choc chip cookies lol.

Strycova def Rodionova

Barbora just killed her opponent today, she was superior in all departments and hit a lot of winners. Rodionova made a lot of errors too and didnt play well at all, though she had a few good points. Both players were good in coming forward to the net to finish off points.

Players I saw practice included Rita Grande, Flavia Pennetta, Zuzana Ondraskova with Marion Bartoli (she looked really serious and was going hard at all her shots in practice), Stephanie Foretz, Clarisa Fernandez, Amanda Coetzer with Elena Likhovtseva, Elena Bovina (with someone who looked like Larissa Neiland :confused: is she her coach now?), Lina Krasnoroutskaya, probably more but i forgot.

I actually watched men's matches for most of the day, the best ones were Dancevic vs Vliegen and Krajan vs Verdasco. Karlovic was practicing with Ollie Rochus, who now has a shaved head like James Blake. Ivo was really nice when we talked to him, he didnt stutter at all. Nico Lapentti is an attention whore, lol, he looked like he desperate for me to take a picture of him, which i happily obliged :drool: He definitely knows he is good looking!

Steff_forever
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:00 PM
special thanks for your report, Experimentee ! :worship:

I guess Anna-Lena has to diminish her UEs if she wants to reach the MD vs Prusova ...
But defeating Kanepi this way was unexpected for me ! :D

brunof
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the report. Did you see any of Tu/Pin? Was Tu way off?

Experimentee
Jan 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Sorry I didnt see any of the Tu match, but Pin is in good form this week and it was a close match, so I dont think Meilen would have been off. Meilen was playing great in the first round.

kafelek
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Could u write sth about Flavia Pennetta.. You wrote that u have seen her practice ... how was she playing?? Maybe u have also seen diaz-oliva matches..haven`t u ? could u tell me sth about her play in qualification?

TS
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks, great report as always!

Barbora is such an impressive kid...I wish that I went on day 2 & 3 to see more of her. Can't wait to see how she goes in the MD.

As for Lauren B, it doesn't surprise me she got 8 games of Lindsay. She's a counterpuncher and will rally all day if need be...she's also super fit (may not look it, but was a cross country champion in senior year of high school) so gets lots of balls back.

geegables
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:28 AM
good work barbora, i saw her on the hopman cup and wow im impressed! great things to come from this player

Dymension
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Nice report :D