PDA

View Full Version : Patty's Australian Open Draw

Purple_Llama
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:26 AM
First round-Patty Schnyder SUI (22) vs. Angelique Widjaja INA :)

Sugiyma & Dechy are the only seeds up to round 4,which Patty has visited a few times at the AO now.
http://census.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/wsdraw.pdf

Let's hope she can go one or more rounds better than that in the next two weeks :worship:

vogus
Jan 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Patty got a really good draw, bcuz if there's anybody who she can beat playing on one leg, it's Widjaja, who hasn't won a match on the tour in about 8 months. I know Patty lost to Widjaja last year at IW, but since then Angie's career has really been falling apart, while Patty is playing somewhat better. For the second round as well, Alexandra Stevenson is another player that i think Patty can beat even at less than 100% of her fitness. But Llama you forgot about Suarez in the 3rd round - unless Suarez gets upset early, Patty will have a hard time to get through that match if she's not at full strength with her movement. If Patty can get by Suarez then she will definitely have a winnable match in the 4th round, Sugiyama or whoever else she might play there.

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=vogus]Patty got a really good draw, bcuz if there's anybody who she can beat playing on one leg, it's Widjaja, who hasn't won a match on the tour in about 8 months. I know Patty lost to Widjaja last year at IW, but since then Angie's career has really been falling apart, while Patty is playing somewhat better.

Angie hasn't won a match in 8 months??? Indeed, 2003 has been dissapointing for Angie and it was interesting that her best performance was beating Patty - player with the highest ranked she ever defeated! I don't agree with you that she has not won a match in 8 months...In Wismilak Bali, before she lost to Obata in QF, it was obvious that she won 1st and 2nd rounds - over Safina & Garbin! And more, in Tashkent, Dubai & Pattaya - she won all 1st round's matches! Please be careful with stats and facts when you give comment next time...Thanks for letting me to inform you!

Purple_Llama
Jan 17th, 2004, 12:31 PM
My mistake Vogus,I didn't see Suarez there :angel: Here's hoping Patty gets through her first round first,then we'll worry about the others in her way ;) :D

Rothes
Jan 18th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Im going to enjoy this beating of Widjaja ;)

köj-è
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Purple_Llama
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:01 PM
:hearts: :hearts: GOOD LUCK PATTY! :bounce: :bounce:

Rothes
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:45 PM
VON GLUCK PATTY!!!! Show Angelique who really is the most talented player on the court!!!!!! I know you can win and you will! I can feel a winning!

Rothes
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:41 AM
As I stated, I enjoyed the beating of Widjaja ;) :) Very Much so!! ;)

vogus
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Patty d Widaja 63 57 63

a tougher scoreline than expected but on the bright side i think the fact that Patty was able to come back and dominate at the end of the match after losing the second set, shows that she is probly recovered from the injury.

Purple_Llama
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Yup,excellent job Patty :D Although with a high ranked opponent it would be wiser to finish the match off sooner,this could be the start of something BIG :)
Congrats! :worship:

Rothes
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:56 AM
It also tells me that the 3 line score would have given Patty Confidence in 3 setters, one of her Notacble Stereotypes is to loose predominatly all the 3 setters she plays, Not saying this one is going to be a turn around, But is good confidence for the next match, who I don't even know who she is playing.

Rothes
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Its a shame because Patty had set points in the Second, again wasn't able to capatalise, though it was on Angie's Serve, She had quite a few games to break but didn't any hoo lets be greatful and happy she got to the second round and good luck.

Purple_Llama
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:07 AM
It also tells me that the 3 line score would have given Patty Confidence in 3 setters, one of her Notacble Stereotypes is to loose predominatly all the 3 setters she plays, Not saying this one is going to be a turn around, But is good confidence for the next match, who I don't even know who she is playing.

I thought the same thing Rothes.Patty 3 set record hasn't been great & it's a very good sign that she held her concentration & won the match.The results showed that she was holding her serve easily & was close to breaking Widjaja many times.
As for her next round oppenent it will be Marion Bartoli of France who beat Alexandra Stevenson in straight sets.Does anyone know anything about Marion?

Rothes
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:11 AM
She has a weird service motion, She got to the Semi Finals of Auckland and has rapidly improved ;)

Will be a test for patty

Purple_Llama
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Okay,thanks.It sounds like Bartoli has had some good match practise :o
Good Luck Patty,you can do it :kiss: :)

Rothes
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:20 AM
It should be a good game, I really think Bartoli presently is a better player then Widjaja, Patty if she is on her game she should win and give her good match practice because Bartoli is a worthy opponent, I will emphasise "Should" because you just never know with Patty ;)

Purple_Llama
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:45 AM
hehe,so right Rothes ;)
I will check tomorrow's paper to see if Patty made the headlines in any way here too! :angel:

Purple_Llama
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well that "should" was positive for Patty,Rothes :D :D :D
:hearts: Schnyder def. Bartoli 64 26 63 :hearts:
What a great win Patty,congratulations!! Another good win in Melbourne :)
Good Luck for the next round :drool: :hearts: :kiss: :bounce:

Rothes
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
I wonder what happened in the Second Set, Then again ofcourse Im probably being skeptical thinking Patty will anhilate all players that cross her, Good Match, and loads of confidence to boost her!!! Good Preformance Patty and Keep it up (Wondering who she plays now)

Purple_Llama
Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:53 AM
I was watching the match results online & in the second set at 2 all there was a huge break in the scoring so I wonder if one of the girls had treatment? :confused:
Then Bartoli seemed to win the 2nd set very easily before Patty ran away with the third :D
As for her next round opponent it will either be P.Suarez or J. Vakulenko.I know Suarez beat Patty @ Wimbledon a few years ago,but that's not Patty's best surface either.Anyone know anything more?

Rothes
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:28 AM
Well Suarez is the player :)

vogus
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
Next round won't be easy.

Patty's H2H vs Suarez is 1-4, but Patty won the last meeting (Sydney '03), coming back from 2-6, 1-3 to win in a close 3rd set.

The key is for Patty to keep it close. If she can keep Suarez from running away with it, and turn it into a contest of nerves that goes deep into a 3rd set, i think she's got a 75+ percent chance to pull it off. Patty is an Ice-Queen when the match gets tight - she has won 5 straight third-set tiebreaker matches. And Patty is healthy, else she wouldn't have been able to break Bartoli's serve four times in the final set in today's match.

Can you believe those Widaja fans coming in here and talking trash? :lol: It was funny, the more the merrier... where's switz these days anyway?

Rothes
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:55 AM
Lol the Indonesian Fans, Really they should keep to their own Forum, They can eat their words as well as Patty did give Angie a little "whooping" hahaha, Even those rolleyes wern't necessacerily ;)

HHOOPP PATTY!

vogus
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
hey Rothes a favor - tomorrow night i have to work and so i can't follow the Patty vs Suarez match live, instead when i get home i am going to scroll down through the live scoring thread to follow the flow of match that way, so could you wait to update your Swiss information chart until about 12 hours after the match finishes? Otherwise i will see the result in your siggy and that will spoil my fun - thanx

*JR*
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:49 AM
Is there a literal translation of the word "Hhhhoooopppp"? :p

Rothes
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
No Problem Vogus,

Btw Patty and Barbera lost today in Doubles, to some unknown players (Well I have heard of them) It was quite dissapointing, But erraticness also is a conflict in both of their doubles games for some reason and loose to opponents who you would never of thought of, I updated their signature, and Casanovas and Gagliardis,

Patty remains in Singles, so I won't update my signature until the next morning, :)

Rothes
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Hhhooopp is just a translation of Hop, The German Version for Allez (french) or Forza (Italian) or Vamos (Spanish) It just means go! Good Luck theoreticially, initially Von Glück means Good Luck in a more respective term.

vogus
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:10 PM
it's better anyway for Patty to be out of the doubles and not have that as a distraction, because tomorrow she's playing one of her most important matches in the last five and a half years.

Patty beat Suarez much easier than i expected - after the tight games up to 4-4 in the first set, the match was over in less than 30 minutes - a real bulldozing job. Impossible to say without watching the match, whether Patty played really well or whether Suarez was a little bit low on gas because of all the tennis she's played in the Aussy season. On paper Natalie Dechy is considerably less of a threat to Patty than Suarez, so i like Patty's chances to reach the QF. And also it wouldn't hurt for Tatiana Golovin to upset Lisa Raymond, because Raymond's experience would be the tougher obstacle for Patty in reaching the semifinal.

Rothes
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Well Im looking foward to this match up, Though It won't be televised, but thats alright, It should be on Eurosport Internet Radio, and Hopefully I can stay up most of the morning listening to it,

Im looking foward at her chances, They both had a 1-1 Record I think, with Patty Winning comfortably, and Dechy winning in a tight Three Setter, I persume the Obata-Dechy Third Round took a toll on her body a little, but we will have to see.

Purple_Llama
Jan 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Even though it's not until tomorrow,Good Luck Patty!! :kiss: Make my Australia Day GREAT by beating Dechy :D hehe

Purple_Llama
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Congrats Patty!Your first quarter-finals since 98 :) Thanks for making my day ;)
Patty Schnyder Australian Open champion 2004? I sure hope so :D ;)

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Does everyone notice her Games seem to get better?? She seems to beat her opponents more easily?

vogus
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Patty at her best is a Top 5 in the world kind of player. So when she plays her best tennis, Patty can easily cruise past mid-level players like Suarez and Dechy, and that's what we've seen in the last 2 matches. It's surprising only because we haven't seen this from her in quite a long time.

If Patty gets past Raymond, look out, because Clisters and Henin aren't playing all that well. The title of this tournie will be potentially wide open for any of the semifinalists.

*JR*
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Does everyone notice her Games seem to get better?? She seems to beat her opponents more easily?
See, She gets Really Ready to play when me & Rainer Rumble! :devil:

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:19 AM
yeah, ok sure JR

Purple_Llama
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM
lol
someone sure seems a tad obsessed with Rainer :o

Rothes
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:58 PM
;) :wavey:

Purple_Llama
Jan 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Patty & Lisa's match is first up tomorrow which makes it about 11 AM,Melbourne time.It is going to be played on Rod Laver Arena & most probably televised on Aus. TV :D
Good Luck Patty! I know you can do it :kiss:

Purple_Llama
Jan 28th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Congratulations Patty! :drool: :hearts: :hearts:
Good Luck in the semi-finals,you can do it! :) ;)

vogus
Jan 28th, 2004, 01:28 AM
i didn't want to jinx it but i knew Raymond was a favorable matchup for Patty, Patty leading in the H2H 4-0 and Patty's forehand and serve are the kiss of death for Lisa's one-handed backhand.

No hi fives yet bcuz the job isn't finished. Patty is 1 match away from the AO Final! If Myskina can upset Clisters that would be a big help - Kim has enough power in her game to attack Patty's backhand, which is the side that tends to break down under pressure. But even so, Patty still has a chance against Kim if Patty can keep serving the way she has been.

LOL at JR of all people taking credit for Patty's performance... man, you had better have a good story for us when this is all over. :o

Rothes
Jan 28th, 2004, 05:19 AM
lol Vogus, Im eagre to witness this story!

Lindsayfan
Jan 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM
congrats Patty! :D :D :D keep it going and beat Kim,if you can! :devil:

tumbleweed
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:15 AM
Congrats to Patty for making it to the semis at the AO this year! :bounce: