PDA

View Full Version : Qualies report Day1:

V.Melb
Jan 15th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Yes i have a life. But i still wrote this long-ass report because i can! ;)

Mi-Ra Jeon def. Zi Yan

Not much in between these ladies. Yan had more bite from the baseline, she could snap the ball, her doublehanded strokes made her shots unpredictable and she often rifled the ball down the line. Although Yan had slightly more power... Jeon landed many of her shots very deep in the court which prevented Yan from attacking too frequently. Jeon had the better serve, but neither girl could really overpower the other. There was no real defining moment in the match, Jeon called for the trainer at one point, but she was really playing quite well.... much more aggressive then last year, also her shots were deeper then Yan's which gave her more penetration. I am not under the impression Yan was playing her best... Jeon on the other hand did enough to win.
She will need to be more consistent to win her next round though.... she is still prone to hitting the ball long and worst of all.... losing mental concentration. A positive to trake from this for Mi-Ra though is that her shots were not loopy or short... she drove the ball effectivly today.

Beygelzimer def. Nakamura

I watched this match with much exitement about Aiko's impressive game. In the first set adna half, Aiko was dominating with very flat and powerfull doublehanded drives from the baseline.. i heard that Yulia was quite a powerfull player.... however it was Aiko who had Yulia running from side to side. Unfortunantly, Aiko demonstrated the vulnerability of her game by choking and missing her shots in the 3rd set. Aiko has not much of a serve at all.... but she can pump the ball and really hit the corners on the groundies....she uses hardly any topspin at all! Yulia had to defend really well to keep in the 2nd set...but when she did... Aiko fell apart very quickly.

Santangelo def. Prakusya

Mi-Ra was the victim of Mara last year.... this time it is the tiny Wynne Prakusya. Well, what is there to say about this match.... Wynne looked even with her opponent for the first 3 games.... then Mara took off, there were plenty of forced errors in this match... Wynne could not take the pace of Mara who had more power off the ground... and much more off the serve. Mara is a tall girl and she had Wynne stuck behind the baseline for the whole match. Mara was picking on Wynne's backhand for most of the match untill she received a short ball she could crush for a cross court winner. Wynne never gave up but she simply has no weapons and is not going to hurt Mara. Sure, Wynne rifled a few lovely forenands... but it is still not a match winning shot. Mara pulled this through easily and never really looked frustrated... Wynne appeared to realize she was outmatched today.

Tian-Tian Sun def. Koryttseva

Tian Tian was the most impressive asian of the day.
massive forehand, powerfull serve and significant power from behind the baseline. Sun completely crushed most of her forehands for clean winners or forced errors. It was quite impossible for her opponent to match Sun's shots.
Sun easily hits the hardest out of any female asian player i have seen... even Na Li. Today was her day and there was nothing her opponent could do about it. Still can't get over the forehand.... massive weapon for her.... many times unreturnable.

Anastacia Rodionova def. Angela Haynes

Angela's dad watched quite calmly as his daughter powered her way to an early lead in the first set. Rodionova looked completely out of her leage.... Haynes has big lefty strokes and a heavy serve.... all the weapons she needed to hit a ton of winners. Anastasia is a firey girl... she also started to crush the ball and also defended valiently against the barrage from Haynes. When Rodionova tied Angela in the first set at 5-5. Haynes inexperience showed.... she hit a few loose shots... whilst Anastacia kept herself in the points with some brilliant backhand drives. Haynes cracked it a few times at the line umpire's but it was to no avail. Rodionova ran away with second set... Haynes level of play had dropped substantially by this stage. Although Haynes was more powerfull.... her shot selection and mentall game have their flaws.... Anastacia was more consistent today...and by the end, looked like she wated it more.

Husarova def. Kuti Kis

Husarova used her tricky dropshot and her unpredictable and deceivingly powerful forehand to beat Rita today. Rita fought very hard to make the first set tie breaker.. but Jannette is a talented shot maker... she pulls dropshots out of no where and Rita rarely bothered moving for them. Rita is more content to rally down the middle of the court.... Husarova was the player who 'made things happen' hence she won the match. The first set was tight and Husarova really got frustrated with herself and smashed her racket on the ground when 2 of her dropshots failed in a row... one of them after a long rally.... nevertheless she prooved her superiority by winning the 2nd set easily... she should be back in the top 100 soon if she keeps this solid form up.

Marie-Even Pelletier def. Maria Kirilenko

Marie was playing amazing. She made Kirilenko look very weak. Marie crushed the ball moving Maria from corner to corner. Eventually Marie would come to the net and finish off an easy volley. More to the point.... Marie-Eve rarely had to come to the net! Her groundies were increadible today.... much more rythmic and natural then the last time i saw her. She played great and deserved the win. She was more powerful in every aspect today.

Bachmann def. Chevalier

I hope Kildine was nervous... because she was shure playing crap. She even turned to moon balls in some points. Angelika was infinintly more powerfull and Kildine was horribly inconsistent. and for a small girl with a light frame... her footwork is poor. I think we definently didn't see the best of Kildine today. Angelika really did not have to do to much.

Jurak def. Voracova

I always am impressed by Voracova's game. She is a very hard hitting tall girl that hits the cover off the ball given the time to set up. Jurak was simply more consistent and it was a matter of many long rallies in which Renata tried to hit a low percentage shot. Almost every point was the same... long rally ends with Voracova error or winner. ---- usually error.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks ! :)

spiceboy
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Jurak def. Voracova

I always am impressed by Voracova's game. She is a very hard hitting tall girl that hits the cover off the ball given the time to set up. Jurak was simply more consistent and it was a matter of many long rallies in which Renata tried to hit a low percentage shot. Almost every point was the same... long rally ends with Voracova error or winner. ---- usually error.

Thanx for the report V.Melb :wavey:

I've got the same feeling for Voracova...she hits everything with so much power, such a shame she misses quite a lot though I expect her to breakthrough at any moment :)

BTW she probably has the most beautiful legs on Tour ;)

ghosts
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks ;)

Mariangelina
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the nice report. :)

I know less about Mara Santangelo than probably any other player in the top 150 :o I haven't even seen a pic of her, but for some reason I kinda like her.

Great win Mara :bounce: Keep it up! :lol: @ me.

Steff_forever
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks V.Melb !!!! :worship: :D :worship:
very precise report of your impressions :bigclap:

Do you think we will see any of the winners of your report as qualifiers ????

Most likely Husarova, most hopeful Bachmann ... ;)

spiceboy
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I know less about Mara Santangelo than probably any other player in the top 150 :o I haven't even seen a pic of her, but for some reason I kinda like her.

Well, she is a bitch on and off court...and you can ask any girl (but Camerin ;) ) from the Tour.

On the other hand she's got a great game and will break into the Top 100 this year.

kfh_9118
Jan 15th, 2004, 11:14 AM
V.Melb, we were at about the same court today.
I saw Wynne's match as well (full), Tian-Tian (full), bit of Maria Kirilenko and Zi Yan.

Very nice report :worship:

Wojtek
Jan 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Thanx for the report V.Melb :wavey:

I've got the same feeling for Voracova...she hits everything with so much power, such a shame she misses quite a lot though I expect her to breakthrough at any moment :)

BTW she probably has the most beautiful legs on Tour ;)
I watched her live in Warsaw and Sopot and she isn't normal. :p

Experimentee
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:25 PM
I was watching the Asian matches today too :)

New
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Good for sun tian tian!!! there should be more players from asia!!! :)

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Marie-Eve :D:D:D Wow form both summaries everyone said she was playing great!! I hope she can keep up that game for all year long!

TartarVicario
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Nice report V.Melb :)

Well done Husarova :D

Better luck next time Maria K. :sad:

brunof
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks much for the report. Best of luck to the Asians, esp. Tian Tian and Jeon.

St.Sebastian
Jan 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I watched her live in Warsaw and Sopot and she isn't normal. :p
What do you mean by "She isn't normal"?
I also watched her match in Warsaw against Mauresmo, and in the first set she played really well (or you could say Momo played sh*t). But the rest of the match was just one-sided.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the report :D

Steveg
Jan 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Mi-Ra Jeon def. Zi Yan

Not much in between these ladies. Yan had more bite from the baseline, she could snap the ball, her doublehanded strokes made her shots unpredictable and she often rifled the ball down the line. Although Yan had slightly more power... Jeon landed many of her shots very deep in the court which prevented Yan from attacking too frequently. Jeon had the better serve, but neither girl could really overpower the other. There was no real defining moment in the match, Jeon called for the trainer at one point, but she was really playing quite well.... much more aggressive then last year, also her shots were deeper then Yan's which gave her more penetration. I am not under the impression Yan was playing her best... Jeon on the other hand did enough to win.
She will need to be more consistent to win her next round though.... she is still prone to hitting the ball long and worst of all.... losing mental concentration. A positive to trake from this for Mi-Ra though is that her shots were not loopy or short... she drove the ball effectivly today.

Tian-Tian Sun def. Koryttseva

Tian Tian was the most impressive asian of the day.
massive forehand, powerfull serve and significant power from behind the baseline. Sun completely crushed most of her forehands for clean winners or forced errors. It was quite impossible for her opponent to match Sun's shots.
Sun easily hits the hardest out of any female asian player i have seen... even Na Li. Today was her day and there was nothing her opponent could do about it. Still can't get over the forehand.... massive weapon for her.... many times unreturnable.
Thanks for these reports Henry.

I am pretty sure that Zi was very tense :( .

As for Tian-Tian, she is spending hours working on her shots :) . It is naturally paying off. I hope you wil have the opportunity to see one of her training sessions :D .