PDA

View Full Version : Lena looks awful...

Keith17
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:58 AM
I understand Lena wants to be as fit as possible... but my girl looks unhealthy now.

Just looking at this pic brings tears to my eyes...

I'm fearing that Lena is turning into the next Daniela. She didn't seem as cheerful this winter, and I'm praying that she doesn't have an eating disorder.

I'd rather see her not play tennis... because she's lost weight constantly for 3 years now... and she can't afford to lose anymore.

:sad:

And, if you're reading this Lena... please take care of yourself.

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:24 AM
I don't think Dani has an eating disorder.
She is an athlete with low bodyfat. It's different.

the cat
Jan 15th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised Lena looks thinner than she used to. I hope it's because she wasn't feeling well and wasn't eating normally. I think Lena should be adding weight instead of losing weight. She has so much game and is so good looking. :D I hope Lena regains the weight she lost in the offseason and then adds some more weight and turns it into muscle. Then she'll really be a dangerous player. :bounce:

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Lena might be trying to get quicker. Let's see how the year plays out.

the cat
Jan 15th, 2004, 11:29 PM
I hope that's all it is, GL. But it's going to be hard for a 6'3" tall woman like Elena Bovina to become quicker. Taking quick steps is not a strength of hers.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:36 AM
I got pics - lots! I met Lena once again at the Adidas Int, my sister said the same when watching her on TV - but then when I bought my sister with me and introduced her to Lena, she saw, that sure Lena is THIN - but looks healthy and YES she needs to gain some muscle, but she looks fine :)

I'll post the pics when I get home - but really she does look fine, nothing to be worried about. and her mother never spoke about any problems besides her sore wrists and sore right knee, thats been playing up lately!! :)

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:41 AM
That's good to hear. And I love Lena's draw. But I loved her draw in New York also.
If Lena gets rolling, this could be her breakout major.

ys
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:50 AM
What kind of racket is that? Never seen this logo before..

Keith17
Jan 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I don't know if Dani or Lena have an eating disorder... but whatever it causing them to look so skinny, has to be stopped.

Drew, I'm glad you got to meet Lena again. I hate to hear that her Mom is still worried about her damn knee/thigh. Lena might need some time off, because it was hurting her in Toronto... and it's been a problem since Tokyo, last year.

smarties
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:50 PM
it's been said millions of times: she had mononucleosis and lost a lot of weight because of that.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, she needs some time off, for both mental and physicall rest!!!

I'll post my pics of her in the next couple of days, I just left my disk with the pics at my friends house!! So i'll have to go get them on monday or something!!

But ill some my lovely Lena Bovina pics very soon!!

goldenlox
Jan 17th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks. Please post all the pics of Lena that you have.
Keith 17, any Toronto pictures you have, you can post them here also.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Lena was down 5-3 in the third, and won the last 4 games. That means stamina.
You can't do that if you're anorexic or bulemic.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Well done Lena! :D But don't you think she's too thin?

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:35 AM
I can't tell from those pictures. But Lena finished strong today. That's what's important.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:43 AM
This statistic tells it all...

Winners (Including Service)
Bovina - 23
Kleinova - 32

Unforced Errors
Bovina - 35
Kleinova - 54

I know most of you have probably never seen Kleinova play... but she's a flat hitter, that isn't exactly powerful. These stats indicate that Kleinova controlled play... and that's just mind-boggling.

Lena only went to net 35 times too, in a long 3-setter.

Kleinova also had 0 aces, and 8 doubles faults, combined with her other stats that indicate she didn't play well at all.

These stats tell me that Lena is regressing... Lena MUST play very aggressively to reach her potential... she's not freaking Anna Smashnova.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:47 AM
She beat Serna 4 & 1. Then lost to Elena D. 2 & 3.
Now today. Very up and down.
This is a major. Just win. It doesn't have to be your best, just good enough to stay in the tournament.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Winning a tough match like this should boost Lena's fragile confidence. :)

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Lena's draw will allow her to play her way into the tournament. She won't need her "A" game until Mauresmo.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Her draw isn't that easy...

What Sharapova has the first 2 rounds... that's an easy draw.

Schaul is a probable Top 50 player... and has the game that will crush Lena if she makes a bunch of errors.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:15 AM
But after the second round, Maria has to play top tenners every match.
Lena gets three matches, then a tough, winnable one. You can't play Maria's Tokyo or Quebec draw at a major.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Why do you think Amelie is beatable?

She's been playing great since Moscow...

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:21 AM
I saw her play Hopman Cup. Lindsay beat her easily.
Plus that Casanova match. I think Lena's good day will win.
But if Lena doesn't win it, getting there is good also.
I want top 10 this year. The majors are important.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Lena will probably be out the Top 30, even if she reaches the 4th round... :sad:

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I'm looking at the whole year. For her seed, the draw is great.
The same thing will happen in the spring. Lena will get some decent wins, and get her ranking up.
I know she has points to defend early.
Think long term.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:27 AM
ANY wins will get her ranking back in the Top 20 by Roland Garros.

The problem is... Lena is a stick, and sucks on clay.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM
There's clay, there's grass, there's hardcourt. It's a long year.
I just want Lena to stay healthy. The ranking will get better.
This tournament is important. The next major is late May.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Did you guys see how thick and strong Justine Henin has gotten? I'd say she's added about 5 pounds of beef in the offseason. She's almost like a shorter Jennifer Capriati without the expanding stomach.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:40 AM
There are two types of overtraining. Big muscles, and low bodyfat.
Bodybuilders have both. Tennis players who overtrain have one of them.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Christine looks better every week.

She's the epitome of hard work... she wasn't given anything in life, and she doesn't have the best talent on tour, but she's undoubtedly the best.

Yet, I cheer this Russian stick who weighs 20 pounds, and would rather go to concerts and screw anonymous guys. Sigh.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Have you ever seen short bodybuilders? They waddle when they walk.
JHH is heading in that direction.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:54 AM
So?

Her tennis isn't suffering.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Who is Christine? :confused: Justine? If you're talking about Justine she does have the most talent on the WTA Tour. That's for sure. She can hit any shot, play finesse or play power tennis. She has great offense and great defense. too. And she's as tough as nails! :mad:

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I'm going to bed. Meghann has big muscles.
Justine wins because of her game, not weight training.
Lena pounds the ball. She just needs to add a few pounds to her frame.

Keith17
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Christine is Justine. As a New Yorker, I have to call her Christine to show I come from this retarded state.

the cat
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Okay. ;)

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Who's going to win Justine-Venus? How about Nastya-Maria?

the cat
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Justine and Maria.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Who wins Justine-Maria?

the cat
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:27 AM
We're getting too far ahead of ourselves, GL. Let's just let Oz unfold for us.

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I was looking at Schaul's results. She lost to Dinara 4 & 5, and 5 & 4, in Palermo and New York.
And she lost 5 & 6, to Maria in Tokyo. She's good enough to earn a living on the tour, but you want this kind of opponent at a major.
Udachi Lena!

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:30 AM
You sure do your tennis homework, GL. :)

Lena needs to win that match and move on.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:43 AM
This is a big match. Schaul is pretty good.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:51 AM
Schaul routined Bovina. :( I'm surprised by this result. Especially after Lena's come from behind first round win.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:54 AM
Lena broke twice in the second set. And lost 6-4. You have to hold serve.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:24 AM
Lena has to be so dissapointed. She really had a nice draw.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:37 AM
Lena has very few points to defend for several months. She'll survive.
But she has to hold serve.

*abby*
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:13 PM
hey everyone :wavey:
i read in GM a thread bout elena being too thn, weight probs etc. personally i think its crap wen ur fave gets turned on by every1 pretendin to have their best interests at heart.over in jens den we know what it feels like so if u ever need a hand just give us a shout an we'll b happy to lend a voice of support or two!
peace xxx

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Lena does look a little thin, but when you're down 3-5 in the third, and win the match, you have stamina, not anorexia.

the cat
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:18 PM
Hi Abby! :wavey:

Good point, GL.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Lena's not playing well, and she doesn't look her best.
That's not a good combination.

Keith17
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
I'm Lena's biggest fan... but we have to be realistic.

I don't think Lena has an eating disorder... but when I look at her, the idea crosses my mind. Personally, I think it's a case of Lena over-training, plus her being a very tall girl. She took no time off of training in November and December. If you've ever seen Lena at tournaments, she is ALWAYS eating. Daniela says the same thing about herself.

However, Lena has lost such significant weight in over 2 years, and there is a reason why it's happening. Whatever the reason is... it's serious enough now that steps need to be taken to get Lena back to a healthy state.

If Lena, or her group, intentionally wants her this thin... they are stupid.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
I agree. And if they are changing Lena's strategy to play more safely, that doesn't make sense either.

the cat
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I think Lena needs to add about 20 pounds. What do you guys think? She's 6'3" tall and she probably weighs about 140 pounds. But a female athlete her size should weigh atleast 160 pounds. Shouldn't she?

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Lena weighed 150 pounds at US Open 2001, and she was decent size then.

She needs to get back to the size she was then. She was slow around the court then, but she still is now.

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I want to see the Sydney pictures. I don't think she's too thin.

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:43 PM
A few other Sydney pics were posted.

Lena is too thin.

the cat
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Keith is a big girl, about Lena's size i think, so she would know best. If Lena can't put on 10 to 15 pounds of weight by the clay court season I will be concerned. She can't fulfill her vast tennis potential if she's significantly underweight.

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I don't know Lena's weight, so I really can't comment.

I'm 6'2 140 lbs., I play tennis regularly, and I'm far from being overly thin.

I do know it is very hard to maintain a healthy weight for being so tall. It's much harder to have defined muscle tone. There's a fine line from looking like a string bean, then having fat on your body.

That's why I gave Lena the benefit of the doubt last year, because she was getting a bit too thin. Now, it's just too much. You can even see it in her face... that emaciated look. Daniela had that for a while, and that seems to be going away as she's gradually put on a few pounds.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:19 AM
sorry, ill post some pics when I get back home to Sydney - a few good pics of thin lena!

azza
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM
and lena has ever looked good :confused:

dubro
Jan 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM
yepa :(

....always better than alicia :o

goldenlox
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure if Lena looks awful, but Maria does. She looks terrible in the AO photos.
Nothing like England last summer.
And when I read what Dinara said about Anna, it makes me more upset with Maria.
Maria should be saying that Anna was #8. Reached a Wimbledon semifinal. Several Tier I finals. Won over $3.5 million on court. Maria hasn't come close to any of that.
Maria should show respect for what Anna has done on the court.
I hope the future Russian juniors show Maria the same disrespect that Maria shows Anna.

Keith17
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Some of the Russian players have the right to be a bitch to Anna, because Anna was quite the bitch herself.

Maria's starting to act just like her... so whatever.

goldenlox
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Maybe. I keep saying I understand why Maria is like she is, but the other players are so much nicer, I forget to cut Maria some slack.

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I saw the pictures of Lena. Too thin. There's something wrong.

the cat
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Maria has said many times that she respects everyone. And that includes Anna Kournikova.

GL, I don't think you understand the dynamic of Maria and Anna. Anna left IMG and Bollettieri's in 1998 for Octagon when she was on the way up. That was a terrible move and very hard for IMG and Bollettieri to take. :sad: Maria is with IMG and loyal to them for what they have done for her family. And Masha still trains part time at Bollettieri's. IMG and Bollettieri resent Anna for leaving them when things were going great for Anna. And they have unfortunately passed that resentment onto Masha and that's why Masha isn't as nice to Anna as some other players are. But you can be sure that when Masha and Anna cross paths they say hi to each other. Maria will grow out of her resentment of Anna in time. You yourself have said Maria is young and we all know kids don't always say the right thing.

I also think we have to remember that Maria Sharapova has been the Russina most often compared to Anna Kournikova over the years. And that has frustrated Masha because she doesn't want to be known as Anna lite.

And just so you know, Elena Bovina and Dinara Safina have sniped at Anna before, too. Worse than Maria has. But it's nice that Dinara is now being kind to Anna with her comments.

Keith17
Jan 28th, 2004, 02:53 AM
There's more pics of Lena in Sydney that some Aussie posted in General Messages.

Lena looks absolutely terrible... and I will not support her in anything concerning tennis until she gets her act straight.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:06 AM
She does look too thin. She's in the mixed quarters. Why not play women's doubles?

Keith17
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Lena shouldn't be playing tennis, at all.

The last thing she needs to keep doing is overexerting herself.

1) Lena needs to realize she has a weight problem.
2) Solve the problem.
3) Then, think about tennis.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Hantuchova's still playing. Lena won't stop. She looks like she doesn't eat at all.

Keith17
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Both players eat. Don't be a smartass.

Lena should listen to me. It's always the right thing to do.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM
She's thin because she overtrains. She does that because she wants to win.
So no one can stop her from playing. That's the reason she trains. So she can play well.

Keith17
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Someone can stop her from playing. Her coach, that's what he's payed for. Her family, there should be some reason they follow her everywhere.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Her coach is an employee. Lena's a working adult.
No one can stop her from playing.

Keith17
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Fine. Then Lena should just keep going the road she's going, and then she'll die an early death. The end.

goldenlox
Jan 28th, 2004, 03:26 AM
There's no way to stop her. She's making this choice.
These players really want to win. They need a nutritionist. Along with a coach.