PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Draw

petey_pan
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Lauren Breadmore VS Lara Giltinan :)
Adriana Szili VS Kaia Kanepi :rolleyes:
Christina Wheeler VS Iveta Benesova :(
Bojana Bobuscic VS Jennifer Hopkins (I've never even heard of Bobuscic?!) :fiery:
Jaslyn Hewitt VS Kyra Nagy
Amanda Grahame VS Lioudmilla Skavronskaia
Dubravka Cupac VS Alyona Bondarenko
Monique Adamczak VS Melien Tu
Christina Horiatopoulus VS Virginie Pichet

Surprise Surprise Watson is denied a wildcard despite challenging Chanda Rubin in Sydney. Who is Bojana Bobuscic? I know most of the Australian girls and I've NEVER heard of her?? Christina has a really tough draw, Benesova is injured right now so that should be ok but then she'll most likely play Beygelzimer in the next round and she beat Wheeler in the US Open qualies!
Breadmore and Giltinan is a good match up... at least one of them will get through. Jaslyn has a good draw if she can find her form. Adamczak also has a tough draw. Anyway good luck to all the gals.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Jaslyn has a nice first round, but then I have never even heard of her opponent so I don't really know:o BUt then she would have Poutchek:mad: BUt Kim has played Poutchek twice and I'm sure would be more than happy to give Jaslyn some advice.Well it is guaranteed an aussie in round2 with Lauren Breadmore VS Lara Giltinan. I think Breadmore will win it.

Bobusic is a junior, I've heard her name and that is it. I'm guessing she got the last wild card:confused: that is a big surprise. Cindy Watson was far more deserving:o

TS
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Bobusic is a very talented young kid from WA I believe...still VERY surprising to see her get a WC.

Lauren Breadmore can hopefully salvage some of the points she earned last year...she is heavy favorite against Lara, but I think it's going to be a tough one!

Monique got a really tough match against in form Meilen! :( I saw Monique on the Channel 10 news tonight and she was confident about her form, so hopefully she can just give it her all.

Christina Wheeler has a really tough match on paper, but Iveta's form is a little suspect....tough one though

Hopefully we can get a few through tomorrow :) Gonna be tough!

Randy H
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM
what a shock that Bobusic got the last WC - I really thought that the last one should have gone to someone like Watson who had a very respectable showing in Sydney, or possibly Nicole Kriz.

All in all, it's not really too bad a draw for the Aussie girls, could have been worse. Benesova seems to be in pretty rotten form right now which should give some hope for Wheeler, Tu seemed to have an injury from Auckland so who knows how she is physically against Monique, and I would say that Nagy and Skavronskaia are not impossible to beat either for Hewitt and Grahame if they can play to a high standard.

Glad Horiatopolous is getting a shot at qualifying, just too bad she's had a lot of injuries.

Kanepi and Hopkins can both be pretty streaky, but I can't imagine that Szili and Bobusic will get through them regardless...

Dubravka's match is probably one of the toughest, but she had a good win over Drake in Sydney so her confidence must be high right now and she has nothing to lose.

Breadmore should get past Giltinan.

petey_pan
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I think Cupac has the best chance of qualifying. Wheeler has a horrible draw. Benesova then possibly Beygelzimer and then a final round clash most likely with Barbora Strycova, who played really really really well in Perth this year.

anthonyqld
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I want the following to get through

Breadmore
Spears
Szili
Irvin
Wheeler
Bedanova
Poutchek
Sfar
Barabanschikova
Cupac
Fedak
Adamczak

aussiefan83
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
good luck girls, hopefully a couple can find some really good form!

AUSBOY
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM
i think Cindy Watson has or would beat all these wildcards!

The draw is about as kind as it could be to the Aussies. Hope Breadmore wins in the battle of Aussies

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Wheelr should bt Benesova

Breadmore did well last year, I reckon she can qualify.

Monique has the toughest 1r

aussie_stars
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Breadmore (AUS) d Giltinan (AUS) 6-2 6-2

aussie_stars
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Kenepi (EST) d Szili (AUS) 6-2 6-2 :sad:

aussie_stars
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Wheeler and Grahamme are playing their matches now. Good Luck!

(Amanda is down an early break)

aussie_stars
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Wheeler lost 5-7 4-6 :sad: not a great start for our girls!

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Benesova Def Wheleer 7-5 6-4*
Breadmore Def Giltnan 6-2 6-2
Kanepi Def Szilli 6-2 6-2
Skavronskaia Def Grahame 6-4 6-4**
Nagy Def Hewitt 6-3 6-2
Bondarenko Def Cupac 6-2 6-1
Hopkins Def Bobuscic 6-1 6-3
Tu Def Adamczak 6-1 6-3
Pichet Def Horiatopoulos 7-5 6-3

*Wheeler could have lost 7-5 6-2 she saved 1 match points to break serve then she saved 4 match points on her own serve down 15-40 and also Adv Benesova twice

** Only 1 break of serve each set :crying2:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 15th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Well that isn't a good start. Only one aussie winning and that against another aussie:p

Adamczak, Hewitt & Szilli were all on the news last night. Szilli & Adamzak seemed to be pumping up there chance, Jaslyn was the only one who wasn't really.

aussie_stars
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Adamczak is in big truoble now, down 1-6

Cupac is down 2-6 and an early break in the 2nd

This is not a good day at all for the girls. :sad:

aussie_stars
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Hopkins def Bobuscic 6-1 6-3

aussie_stars
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:17 AM
1 win 6 losses so far, and another 2 are on their way to losing, cupac and adamczak are in huge trouble.

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:33 AM
This is fucken ridiculis :mad:

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Benesova Def Wheleer 7-5 6-4
Skavronskaia Def Grahame 6-4 6-4
Nagy Def Hewitt 6-3 6-2
Tu Def Adamczak 6-1 6-3

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM
So there we have it :rolleyes:

Benesova Def Wheleer 7-5 6-4
Skavronskaia Def Grahame 6-4 6-4
Nagy Def Hewitt 6-3 6-2
Tu Def Adamczak 6-1 6-3
Pichet Def Horiatopoulos 7-5 6-3

TS
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:28 AM
What a disaster :o Honestly, I thought 2 or 3 would get in...lol

I went today and we left after the first set of Christina H, here is my rundown of the performances that I saw

Lauren Breadmore - Didnt play too well, basically just had to put the ball in play. As always a fiesty competitor, she's good to watch. Could give Lindsay Lee a few headaches, but I expect she will lose in two sets.

Lara Giltinan - Total waste of a WC. Has (still) one of the most awful forehands I've seen. Didn't seem motivated at all, and was just totally outclassed...so imagine if she had played a better credentialed opponent? Back to the drawing board!

Christina Wheeler - Seemed a little dejected throughout the match, but as always she fought hard and definitely should have levelled things at 5-5 in set 2. Fought all the way to the end, but wasn't to be. Not a bad performance, but she was nowhere near what I've seen her in the past...needs to work on her variety.

Adriana Szili - Totally outpowered and outplayed. Has some good shots, but doesn't really know where to put the ball most of the time. I saw her two years ago and she was a LOT better. Not a complete lost cause, some signs of hope in her game...but she's totally lost her way and I don't see her troubling the top 400 for a while yet...

Amanda Grahame - Just doesn't seem ready yet. She did OK considering her limited play, and with more matches and better fitness she could have won this.

Jaslyn Hewitt - Has improved markedly from when I watched her two years ago. No major weapons, has to work on consistency obviously.

Dubravka Cupac - Hit some great winners, has some good power but didn't have a feel for the court today. Capable of much better, very disappointing.

Bojana Bobuscic - The kid did OK in set 2, fought very hard...doesn't seem to have any major weapons, but she can develop into a decent player. Still a big waste of a WC though...totally outclassed in the first set, but good effort in the second.

Monique Adamczak - Boy can she smack those groundies! Poor Monique had a really tough draw, Meilen is in great form. Monique matched her from the back, but made too many errors. When her groundies are in gear she can rip her forehand and ha s alovely one handed backhand. Needs to work on her serve, and also seems to have no plan B; i.e. go for broke on nearly everything. Decent future ahead if she continues working hard enough...could have beaten a number of other players today.

Christina Horiatopoulos - Impressive player and had she been the Christina of 2002, Im sure she could have taken Virginie in straight sets. She attacks the net a lot, has some great volleys and decent groundies...can rip her forehand especially. Commits far too many silly errors, but with more practice and match play I fully expect her in the top 300, she is good enough to go further too...lost her serve a number of times in the match, and served for the first at 5-4.

Very disappointing day for the girls :(

aussie_stars
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:30 AM
That truly is a sad performance by our girls! Not one set one apart from the match where 2 aussies played each other....and it'd be pretty hard for an australian not to win that one.

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:30 AM
For the mens

[25] Peya Def Sirianni 6-2 7-6(12) :eek:
De Chaunac Def Henry 4-6 6-4 6-2 :mad:
Brzezicki Def Crabb 6-1 6-2 :confused:
Derer Def Hantschk 7-6(5) 6-4 :D :D
[12] Mello Def Marafiote 6-4 6-2 :(
Armando Def Bourgeois 6-4 6-2 :(
[22] Elsner Def Smeets 4-6 7-6(6) 6-3 :fiery:

aussie_stars
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:34 AM
thanks for the summary TS.

louloubelle
Jan 15th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks TS for the summary of the carnage!!! Unfortunately didn't get down there but it was probably for the best judging by this mess!

It doesn't say much for Lara - being whipped by lauren and a few months ago only taking 2 games of McQuillan. What do they see in her?? Know nothing about Bojana but glad she had a bit of spunk.

Did Breadmore seem to have anymore penetration in her game TS??? Her forehand was Ok when I last saw her, backhand a bit pushy and under pressure would only play centre of the court. Any improvement??

Glad that Christina H & Monique impressed a bit. Hopefully they can keep building with Nicole Kriz, from their injury-marred careers.

Is Szili going thru spolit TA child syndrome??

As for Hewitt, Grahame, Wheeler - again can't impress when it really counts. Amanda maybe returning from a lay-off but this result is typical, competitive tennis but no prize.

Wheeler maybe dejected about the missed wildcard, but good players will shine through adversity. Followed her score from 2-5 down, but glad she didn't roll over.

Ho-hum - after Lauren B bring on the main draw. Hoping for a typical Nicole Pratt Aus Open and maybe a recovered Stosur and maybe Molik doing some damage!!!

Aussie_Kim
Jan 15th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Yes it is sad. I'm from Perth and have seen Bojana a bit. She is really not ready to play a GS- even quallifying. She was probably even shocked to get the WC!!

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Updated see post 24

TS
Jan 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM
loulou - it was hard to tell with Lauren, because she was miles ahead of Lara. Lauren missed a few easy shots and still has a bit of a suspect net game...I didn't really see big improvements from last year, but having said that she is in okay form and probably could have won through even against a more fancied opponent....but I have to say the backhand seems to be as you described it.

Gossip - Oh, Nicole Pratt was there watching Chrissy of course. Rugged up in her towel, cheering on her girl ;)

Mark Woodforde and Evonne were everywhere...saw Paul McNamee watch a few games of Christina Hori, also Sam Stosur's mum was cheering on Monique, that was good to see.

A few of the girls were seen around...Sarah Stone and Nicole Sewell having a good ol gossip to Nicole Arendt at the Wheeler match. They were saying something about how annoyed all the girls are about WC allocations and they all want to know who is making the decisions! I was too busy gossiping with a friend to really hear :o Also saw Bryanne Stewart, Natalie Tanevska and Mireille Dittmann milling about during the day.

Ugh, lets see how some of these kids go in the Vic satellites.

azza
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Derer Our first wins for the mens :)

aussiefan83
Jan 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Woeful day for the Australians :(