PDA

View Full Version : Taylor decides Australia it is....

Adrian
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Taylor Dent has decided that Australia is his home and will be the country he plays for in the future...

"Although the USTA has injected funds into my career, the USTA was handesomely repaid by The Australian Federation"

I'm not sure what that means...maybe the Aussie Federation underwrote Americas involement in his career.

V.Melb
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Well, its all about Money in the end isn' it?
At the start of this year he was saying how America is very much his home and he grew up there - indicating that essentially he is American. ..... but not anymore!

Adrian
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Um...I like Taylor...so whatever turns his groove :)

Lindsayfan
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:59 PM
puaffff :mad: i dont like ppl who change nationality just for money.he always lived and practised in USA,i dont understand why he must change. :mad:

V.Melb
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
yeah .... i don't have much respect for him though. Great for Australia. But he was soooo keen on staying American .... and now he just jumps countries as he sees fit!
He showed absolutely NO indication that he wanted to play for Australia just a few months ago. But he was smart coz he kinda left the door open to play for Aus at the same time ;)

Tammy
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:05 PM
i think he changed because he realized that more than likely he wouldn't get chosen for the us fed cup team.. smart move on his part atleast he is assured he gets to play fed cup now...

irma
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:08 PM
a lot of people are annoyed by the hype around Andy Roddick, me including but at least he is in the top 20, what`s the hype about this man? okee he is cute but he never achieved anything till now :confused:

V.Melb
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Yes...... he would have NO chance of playing Fed cup for any country in the world IMO.
But he maybe could make the doubles with Venus or Raymond. ;) :p

cough. :)

Tammy
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:14 PM
the only hype about dent is his "big serve" but he needs much more of a game before he would even get a second thought about being placed on usa fed cup team.. anyhow i'm fine with him going to play for austrailia but he better not still claim how american he is because thats just two-faced..

RayRob
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Yes, Taylor Dent would look lovely in a skirt playing in the Fed Cup ;)

LOL

Wally
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:26 PM
LOveryL @ RayRob! :D:D:D

i wanted to say something similar to that! :)

SM
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
taylor dent sucked up the USTA's funds for player development , a la dokic with australia.....and departed
only difference was jelena lived in yugoslavia till age 12 , and wasnt taylor only half aussie ;)!.....so i think jelenas case is more justified

Pureracket
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:04 PM
With this recent tide of American nationalism/patriotism, Taylor may hear a few heckles in the stands from some of the American fans in his next tournament in the US.

Aloysius
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:16 PM
I don't know about this one. But I suppose if I were in Taylor's shoes, I'd sort of see it this way; "If I was John Fitzgerald, and I had a choice between Andrew Ilie and myself, whom would I be more likely to select for a possible Davis Cup singles berth should I be needed?" And "If I were Patrick McEnroe, would I select me before Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jan-Michael Gambill, Andy Roddick, Todd Martin or James Blake for a Davis Cup singles berth? Or perhaps, "Where's da party at?" ;)

But seriously, the Australian players have a closer-knit circle and are more likely to help each other to improve on the tour (a la Newk-Roche-Rafter-Hewitt). It's rarer to see American legends and/or current stars helping out the up-and-coming players. I can see why he'd want to switch nationalities, but the sudden about-face is very odd? I personally wouldn't have done it after declaring that I was American born and bred. It's kind of like a slap in the face to the USTA. But then again, if it helps me to improve my tennis and gives me more recognition, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

BK4ever
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:22 PM
TRAITOR...is all I have to say. I'm sick of all these players who benefit from federation/association funds and them behave in this manner. It bodes very badly for other up and comers.

Soon you will see associations making players sign loyalty contracts, much like IMG and Octagon does for the players they support at Bollietieri and Saddlebrook.

BK4ever
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:24 PM
BTW Aloysious, Blake, Roddick, Mardy Fish and other young players have talked extensively about the help that has been given to them by older American players, especially Todd Martin and Courier. Blake has repeated said that he owes alot of his development over the last year to Todd and Couriers involvement in his training.

Tammy
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:30 PM
to put it bluntly dent wasn't good enough to be on the us team therefore he resorted to going to oz because he knew they would take him after he knew he got rejected by the american team.. because clearly if they would put him on the us team he would play for the usa over oz any day but he wasn't good enough.. so he had to go with who would take him..

.. i think its wrong on his part but he was "desperate" to play..good luck to him anyways ..

BrianII
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:14 PM
BK4ever .... I like your consistency at least with you its a principle ( and don't worry Aussies can buy whatever other American rejects they want as they won't be missed much here anyway).
Just amazing isn't it how cetain Aussie posters throw a hissy fit and get their knickers in a twist when Jelena leaves Australia for the country of her birth and where she started to play tennis....(and not for money ,mind you) ..then they do an about face when their country purchases a player from another federation.....no matter though, america must have turned a tidy profit from this deal.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2002, 06:51 PM
National pride is what you feel in your heart......I hope he truly feels that Australia is his home.

Another Kim Po.........

Scotso
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:43 PM
It must be about money, if he wanted to be #1 in a country Australia isn't the best choice... i.e. Lleyton Hewitt would be in his way! However, if he doesn't want to play for the US that's his decision, I never liked him anyway.

irma
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:48 PM
If Jelena wasn`t forced to leave yougoslavia in the first place because of war she would probarly not have gone to australia any way and yeah I heard she said she was proud to be australian before she left again but still I doubt she and her family had left yougoslavia if it was peace there(if I am wrong in that, tell me) so it`s different, no matter if the australians spend a lot of money on her and saved on the other youth players because of her(that`s what an australian told me)

Vanity
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:49 PM
I've never been able to understand the big deal about Taylor Dent. What exactly has he done to make this big fuss about him??? Commentators have been blathering on about him for awhile now but he's done nothing to prove his worth this hype at all.

Tammy
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Scotso
It must be about money, if he wanted to be #1 in a country Australia isn't the best choice... i.e. Lleyton Hewitt would be in his way! However, if he doesn't want to play for the US that's his decision, I never liked him anyway.

..yeah but if he wanted to be #1 in the usa it wouldn't happen either lol :rolleyes: .. anyhow i hope he never is so keen on claiming he's "american" .... and i hope he is happy with his choice

Monica_Rules
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:35 PM
:o :rolleyes:

Does it really make a differance what country he plays for?Hes not that good anyway HUge serve and just bangs the ball!Anything i forgot?;)

destructo_girl
Feb 15th, 2002, 11:29 PM
oh GREAT! pfft. :(

You know what that means, Aussies? Even LESS coverage of the WTA at slams. :fiery:

essielewis
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:08 AM
With this recent tide of American nationalism/patriotism, Taylor may hear a few heckles in the stands from some of the American fans in his next tournament in the US

Oh, I doubt it. The majority of American tennis fans don't even know who he is.:p Besides, we have Andy Roddick, James Blake and Mardy Fish to cheer for. Who needs that big, dumb Dent?:rolleyes:

The older American players, as someone else said, have helped the younger players tremendously. Courier and Martin have helped Blake and Andre Agassi has been a big help to Andy Roddick. Remember at the Ericsson last year when Andy was playing badly against someone and the rains came? Agassi went down to the locker room and gave hime advice on how to play the guy. Andy went back out there and won easily.:) And, Agassi did this while he himself was still in the tournament. So I don't think the Aussies have any special monopoly on helping younger players.:cool:

And let's call it the way it really is . . . Taylor Dent is simply not good enough for the American Davis Cup team. That's the bottom line. The Aussie's can have him since they desperately need a player, even if he is down in the 100s and can't do anything but serve.:wavey:

SerenasMelons
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:15 AM
I saw him lose @ the Australian this year, and there wasa little to be impressed by. His volleys were excellent, but if he's not "ON" at the net, then his game will slip. His big serve is okay, and he needs it so he can make his way to the net...because he doesn't want to stay back. His groundstrokes are mostly spinning and slicing the ball, with no real power.

I personally don't like when players decide to switch nationalities. If he did so so that he could play Davis Cup, then I guess I see a point to it. But I remember Pat McEnroe saying that he offered Dent a spot on the US Davis Cup team, and Dent turned him down, citing some injury. And throughout the AUS this year, the commentators were talking about this, and they constantly said that Dent denied rumors about him playing for Australia. :rolleyes:

Nan Cu
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Professinally, it was a great decision by Dent. He is as much Australian as he is American. Oz is the perfect place for him to nurture his style of tennis.

With the hype surrounding Andy Roddick I don't think Taylor would've found anyone in the US to seriousely take interest in developing his game...not even blabber-mouth Mac. It was the right decision for someone who wants a bright future in this tennis. I applaud him on a courageous choice.

This promises intriguing future matchups. Blake/Roddick v. Dent/Hewitt. Exciting stuff.

Pepsikova
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:33 AM
I lik Taylor too, but I agree with Lindsayfan. Taylor's dad Phil is an aussie so maybe that has something to do with it?

Nan Cu
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Pat Mac is full of gas. James Blake has been ready, willing, and able to play DC for months and win, but soon as a washed-up Pete Sampras says, meeeh (that sound that sheep makes), Blake gets dumped into the doubles. Typical McEnroe. Wonder how Roddick would fare should Andre (the God of Tennis) decide to join Pete on the squad?

Taylor Dent made the right decision.

Rising Sun
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:04 AM
lol @ Desructo_girl.

I was thinking the exact same thing. :fiery:

Just as Rafter retires...

Viva
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Well now Americans know how Aussies felt when Jelena dumped us. Except the USTA actually got the money back.

Welcome Taylor Dent!!!!

jd4eva
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Yes Viva. Except Taylor wasn't hounded by the American media nor had he represented the US with stunning results in team events.

tenn_ace
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:17 AM
I don't see any probs with it. I'm sure his dad and not the country of the USofA paid for Taylor's his private tennis lessons.

Besides, other countires are losing a lot more athletes (and more accomplished too) to the United States... Do we have to go far to find an example? So, I guess, you, all angry people here, know how it feels..................

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:33 AM
marti_fan -
"he better not still claim how american he is because thats just two-faced.."

"anyhow i hope he never is so keen on claiming he's "american" "

umm...what is wrong with him still achnolaging his American background? Jst cause he plays for Australia all of a sudden takes away his 2 decades as an American?
Greg Rusedski turned his back on Canada - but I wouldn't care less if he achnolaged himself as Canadian (though I don't think he does). In fact not achnolaging it in some form or another, is total denial.
If thats the general attitude- "your either 100% American or nothing" - well lets just say I'm glad to be Canadian.

BKforver - TRAITOR
"...is all I have to say. I'm sick of all these players who benefit from federation/association funds and them behave in this manner. It bodes very badly for other up and comers. "

Did it occur to you that his dad is Australian, and might have had some input into this?
Mary Pierce was born in Canada and you don't hear us bitching that she left us, now do you (of course she didn't train here, but still).
How does Taylor playing for Australia bode poorly for up and comers? :confused:

BrianII -
"and don't worry Aussies can buy whatever other American rejects they want as they won't be missed much here anyway). "

Well that was a thoughtful comment :rolleyes:
if Taylor was such a "reject" why the hell do any of you care? Why was Pat McEnroe keeping an eye on him in the first place?hmmm? Certaintly he's accomplished more in tennis than the faceless screen names insulting him have?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. -
"National pride is what you feel in your heart......I hope he truly feels that Australia is his home.
Another Kim Po........."

What the heck does this have to do with Kim Po? Kim changed nationality only on paper, cause she was nervous after Sept.11, and people called her unpatriotic etc etc. Taylor is leaving to play for another country, PERIOD. Under different circumstances.
How can you compare the two? It lacks any sense whatsoever.

Finally - I totally agree with what Nan Cu said. If Taylor and his dad feel this is what is best for his carreer- then good for them.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:34 AM
btw - I kind of look forward to seeing some of you double back on your words, if Tommy Haas follows through with his word and starts representing the USA.

But then it will be okay for someone to turn their back on their federation right? Cause it will benefit you?

BrianII
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Well becca I'll oblige you ,.....truth is I don't care.... not one bit
this kind of thing has been going on in sports for a long time, you probably can't find a single western nation that hasn't benefited from atheletes from the former eastern bloc countries ,trained there, and opting to come over to the west for whatever reason.

So why should any australian start screaming blue bloody murder when Jelena decides she wants to reverse the trend .....certain people don't like this kind of thing and It doesn't matter to them who goes where they just don't like it on principle, thats fine with me......certain posters, like the author of this thread, on the other hand attack Jelena at every possible opportunity based on what she did ... and look at them now ....its called hypocrisy ...doesn't bother you ...but it does me .....

Adrian
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Taylor Dent has strong Connections to Australia and America...He didn't waltz into a country, like Dokic, drain the limited resources of a program, that stopped true AUSTRALIAN JUNIORS from benefiting from training programs, claimed she was a proud aussie one week, then pissed in their face the following..she is a selfish brat, that this week, has prooven she hasn't changed one bit when she took her place in the draw, knowing she was not fit..depriving someone else once again.

Taylor Dent has not harmed either country, nor deprived the juniors of either country.

Jelena Dokic did!!

BrianII
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
what a load of crap,
Jelena's has even stronger ties to yugoslavia ,Both parents from there not just one ...her talent has got nothing to do with Australia, it was her own inate ability......if she was some product of the famous Oz womens tennis program then you'd have other aussie women within sniffing distance of the top 20 which you don't.
Would be helpful if you could learn to read what you write
" The USTA injected funds into my career " clearly meaning the funds could have been used for another player and weren't.
Jelena played for Aus: hopman cup, fed cup , Olympics thus returning an investment ..infact most of time seemed like she was the only one on the team for all the help she got from the other players. Dent hans't done a thing for the U.S.
As for playing this week ...thats a lot like martina playing Wimbledon and after getting thrashed by that big hard serving, booming groundstrokes, spanish grass court expert Ruano pascal
Claimed she was injured before the tournament started and only played cos she thought she could beat Virginia and if it had been a top player wouldn't have played .....she's was either lying about the injury or is doing exactly what dokic did.

selesfan
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Good for Taylor, he is as much Australian as he is American. He would have never had a chance to play for America with Andy and King Pete who now decides he wants to play when it suits him. Good Luck Taylor!

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:56 PM
This is a bit of a non-event. Dent's got no game apart from his serve - I don't see him being too successful in the future; the best he can hope for is to be at a Rusedski-esque level. Ooh - ain't that coincidence? :rolleyes:

Tammy
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:02 PM
becca.. ok that may of have came out wrong on how i stated that lol.. i meant more along the lines of his statements in which he made it seem out how american he was and its his home and he loves it so much (those statements were made before he was rejected for davis cup more less) and i think he easily turned that around when oz got em.. he may of have just been sucking up for the usa david cup team but still i think it was shady thats all :)

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by BrianII
what a load of crap,
Jelena's has even stronger ties to yugoslavia ,Both parents from there not just one ...her talent has got nothing to do with Australia, it was her own inate ability......if she was some product of the famous Oz womens tennis program then you'd have other aussie women within sniffing distance of the top 20 which you don't.
Jelena played for Aus: hopman cup, fed cup , Olympics thus returning an investment ..infact most of time seemed like she was the only one on the team for all the help she got from the other players. I agree totally. Jelena was GOOD, the only really good player out of the Aussie women. If it really was tennis Australia's doing, you'd think they'd "do" it with other players too. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't everyone just cut the girl some slack?

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:42 AM
And as for Taylor Dent, some of you Yankees are really getting angry. Why?

He isn't any good, so I'd figure you'd be happy to get rid of him.

I can tell you, that as an Aussie, I'm far from happy to get him. :(

So forget him, you've got far better anyway.

In fact, you should be feeling sorry for us Aussies, for two reasons.
1) cos he's gonna be playing on our Davis cup team, sucking like the rest of them.
and 2) Thats all we're gonna be seeing at the slams from now on. (and I'm glad you agree, danker.)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Martifan - who knows, maybe I'd be saying the same stuff if I was you :) It is a little shady.

Curious though - wil any of you seriously care if Tommy Haas starts playing for the USA, or will you welcome him with open arms? Despite all thats been said about sucking a federations funds out, then fleeing the country?

Rocketta
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:40 AM
I think it is different if a player lives in another country and adopts that country as their home and becomes a citizen of that country and someone who wants to be part of another country just to play more. An example would be Monica Seles, she became a US citizen, she lives in the US so she is a part of the US. If Taylor Dent lives in Australia and has adopted it as his home fine but if he only calls it home because he wants to play more I can see how people would have a problem with him. I don't know is Tommy Has becoming a US citizen? Could he play for the US without being one? Does he live in the US? Just wondering. All in All it really doesn't matter unless Dent all of a sudden starts having success.

SM
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:31 AM
destructo_girl :kiss: :hearts: :kiss: !
thankyou , well said...

Tammy
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by destructo_girl
In fact, you should be feeling sorry for us Aussies, for two reasons.
1) cos he's gonna be playing on our Davis cup team, sucking like the rest of them.
and 2) Thats all we're gonna be seeing at the slams from now on. (and I'm glad you agree, danker.)

lol poor winnie :).. yeah atleast we don't have to listen to how great he serves anymore (hopefully this will mean even less coverage than we got of him at the slams..althought it was pretty much none existant ;) :angel: ) *cough* *cough* oh yeah u poor aussies ;)

:angel:

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:44 AM
You're welcome, SM. :kiss: right back @cha.

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Marti_Fan: "hopefully this will mean even less coverage than we got of him at the slams..althought it was pretty much none existant"

What?! God, we had plenty of coverage of his matches at the Aust Open, and he wasn't even an Aussie yet! Maybe the Australian tennis, and media were trying to suck up to him, to get him to come to Australia.

I think we got at least SOME coverage of every match, even if it had to be a replay, or just highlights. sheesh.

Tammy
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by destructo_girl
Marti_Fan: "hopefully this will mean even less coverage than we got of him at the slams..althought it was pretty much none existant"

What?! God, we had plenty of coverage of his matches at the Aust Open, and he wasn't even an Aussie yet! Maybe the Australian tennis, and media were trying to suck up to him, to get him to come to Australia.

I think we got at least SOME coverage of every match, even if it had to be a replay, or just highlights. sheesh.

oh my are you serious LOL!! .. here we got like no converage unless he was playing a decent opponet and beyond that we would get like 5 mins of every match and thats about it or they would just mention his serve.. he was barely shown here at all.. i really feel sorry for you now! ur gonna get alot more coverage of him :eek: oh the agony.. ;)

essielewis
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Wonder how Roddick would fare should Andre (the God of Tennis) decide to join Pete on the squad?

This won't happen.:wavey: Pete decided to play DC again because he wants the attention, Andre doesn't need any more attention.:kiss:

I don't believe Pat McEnroe was really running very hard after Dent because McEnroe already had his team in place. All McEnroe wanted to do was sign Dent to the squad which would have meant Dent had to play for at least three years for the American DC team and that would keep him away from the Aussies. McEnroe was thinking about the future when Sampras wouldn't be playing and Dent would possibly be a better player. He wasn't thinking about this year or next. There's no way Dent would leap over Blake, Roddick or even Fish to make the squad right away.

On the other hand, the Aussies only have Hewitt since Mark P. is always injured and Rafter has essentially retired. Dent will have a chance right off the bat to play on the team. Or at least, whenever the Aussies get to play again since they lost in the first round.;)

Personally, I'm not upset about Dent going to Australia, just as I don't think anybody on this board is upset about it. We were just debating it and expressing our opinion. No need to get bent out of shape.:rolleyes:

Dent has every right to play for his father's country or his mother's country. It really doesn't matter. On the other hand, I have no idea what Tommy Haas is talking about. :confused: I know he has lived in Florida since he was a teenager but is he an America citizen? I mean, Monica also moved to Florida as a very young teen but she had to apply for citizenship and it takes a few years to get it. It doesn't just happen.

Besides that, even if Tommy does become an American it doesn't mean he will make the Davis Cup team. He hasn't exactly set the tennis world on fire and I don't think the Americans will pay for his personal physiotherapist either.:p

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
"I don't know is Tommy Has becoming a US citizen? Could he play for the US without being one? Does he live in the US? "

I read an article on tennisweek a while back. I'll find it and post it later.
Apparently he has dual citizenship, after having lived in the USA since he was a teenager.

"Besides that, even if Tommy does become an American it doesn't mean he will make the Davis Cup team. He hasn't exactly set the tennis world on fire "

In all dur repect to Roddick, Haas has more talent by FAR then Andy IMO.

Furthermore, at the moment, he's better than Pete. Of course at his peak Pete was the best - but Pete isn't at his peak anymore, and tommy is currently better.

If Tommy asked to play for the US , Pat Mac would be a total moron not to play him.

He's a 2 time slam semi finalist, top 5 in the world, and a masters series winner. he may not have won a slam - yet - but he's certaintly shown the potential. in all due respect to the American prospects - Haas has more than all of them.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:51 PM
"I don't think the Americans will pay for his personal physiotherapist either."

hehe - that part was funny :D

Nan Cu
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Of course Andre won't rejoin the team, he's been there and don't that. I was just throwing out an hypothetical.

Re Citizenship: To become a citizen of the USA you must first live here as a permanent resident for five continuous years. Spending no more than six months out of the country in any 12 month period. After five years, you're eligible to apply for citizenship. This is called Naturalization and the process takes about 18 months to two years, depending on where you apply.

Tommy Haas, I believe, represented Germany last year, therefore he can't play anywhere esle for another three years, in Davis Cup.

essielewis
Feb 18th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Apparently he has dual citizenship, after having lived in the USA since he was a teenager.

To become a citizen of the USA you must first live here as a permanent resident for five continuous years. Spending no more than six months out of the country in any 12 month period. After five years, you're eligible to apply for citizenship. This is called Naturalization and the process takes about 18 months to two years, depending on where you apply

My question was: has he applied for citizenship? I know Haas has lived in Florida since he was very young but that doen't mean he could have "dual" citizenship. It's not automatic. If that was the case then ANYBODY could become a citizen and I know that's just not the case. In fact, I believe there are quotas.

I suppose he could have applied for citizenship a few years ago but is it possible to file for citizenship before age 18.

Tommy Haas, I believe, represented Germany last year, therefore he can't play anywhere esle for another three years, in Davis Cup.

That's exactly true. I believe I said that in regards to Dent. You can't just skip from one Davis Cup team to another without a waiting period. In fact, I think he was officially on the German Davis Cup team this year. He sent an e-mail at the last minute. So, even if Haas had "dual citizenship" and could play for America, he would still have to wait until 2004 to do it.

If Tommy asked to play for the US , Pat Mac would be a total moron not to play him.

It isn't a matter of what McEnroe thinks or even what he wants. I can't see him choosing a German for the Davis Cup team if he has Americans who are good enough to play and I think Roddick, Blake and Fish will be perfectly able to carry the American team, especially considering Haas won't even be eligible to play for 3 years. Besides, who wants yet another spoiled tennis player to deal with. Especially a foreign one.:rolleyes: