1.) Monique Adamczak
2.) Lauren Breadmore
3.) Lara Giltinan
4.) Christina Horiatopolous
5.) Dubravka Cupac
6.) Adriana Szili
7.) Jaslyn Hewitt
8.) ???????

Cindy Watson better get the last one or this is just a big joke. The poor girl gets snubbed badly last year by Tennis Australia's double standards (Evie was awarded her wildcard this year on last years Aust Open 3rd round effort as stated by Tennis Australia).

I mean if you can push a top 10 player to a tiebreak after coming back from an injury you would expect a wildcard to qualifying at least! If you ask me Cindy is probably about our 4 or 5 most in form Aussie right now!

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I wonder who that last WC went to? You're right, it would be odd to see Cindy push a top tenner and then have her miss qualifying altogether!

On the other hand, someone like Nicole Kriz deserves a go...more so than Jaslyn Hewitt, who is similarly ranked and of a similar age (20).

I dont understand Lara Giltinan getting one...oh yes I do. Her father is Bob Giltinan. This one is a waste of a WC...I don't think she's that promising at all, still a very raw game...Daniela Dominikovic is a much better player than her, but needs to play more than once in a blue moon to be in consideration :rolleyes:

The rest I knew would get in. Adriana Szili and Christina Horiatopoulos are in TA's Targeted Athletes Program...they will always get preferential treatment as all the money is spent on them, so their inclusion should come as no surprise. Finally Christina gets to play here :)

Lauren and Monique's rankings speak for themselves...and Dubravka is probably the only one in the entire field that earned her spot this summer.

AUSBOY
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I think the qualifying wildcards are ok. I agree with 5 of them.

While I definitely think Horiatopolous deserves a run in qualies, I would have preferred it to be next year. I just think she's underdone atm, and only because she comin off an injury 7 weeks ago or so. Like Kriz they just havent been able to prepare and play the matches they needed prior to this. Having said that I hope Christina has learnt heaps from her two qualifying wildcards and will be able to do well here. I always suspected she would get a run here after getting those wildcards, and obviously Tennis Australia have ensured her the best chance of doin well here.

Giltinan just isnt ready for this mentally. While she is one of our top juniors she just doesnt seem to be able to get it together on the senior circuit.

Amanda Grahame is almost assured a place in qualifying with her injury rank!

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:46 AM
With the withdrawals Amanda will probably get in. If not, she should have received a wild card.

broncosven
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM
WHAT ABOUT BRIANNE STEWART!!!! ASWELL AS CINDY WATSON

LETS ALL SNAB OUR 23 YO WHO HAVE REACHED THE 3RD ROUND HERE BEFORE TO GIVE OUR WC TO 800+ RANKED JUNIORS WHO STRUGGLE TO GET CLOSE TO WINNING A SET IN CHALLENGERS

talk about a f******* joke :fiery: :tape:

PointBlank
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM
It is Bryanne not Brianne :p

anthonyqld
Jan 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
WHAT ABOUT BRIANNE STEWART!!!! ASWELL AS CINDY WATSON

Bryanne played crap last year, and she wasn't injured. Don't give her one.

TS
Jan 19th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Well she didn't get one. She was an interested spectator today, though.