PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:18 AM
How they could not give Christina Wheeler a wild card stuns me.

Sophie Ferguson is very average. She was slaughtered in qualifying at the coast last year and again this year. Never seen Olivia Lukaszewicz play so don't know if she deserves it or not.

AUSBOY
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Neither girls would win a match in qualifying let alone the main draw! This decision is a joke!

azza
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Cupac would have been better :(

Dymension
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Who got Wild cards?

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:47 AM
The full list

Chia Jung Chuang (Asian WC)
Tatiana Golovin (French WC)
Trudi Musgrave (Aus Unity Tour winner)
Samantha Stosur (playoff winner)
Evie Dominikovic
Casey Dellacqua
Olivia Lukaszewicz :rolleyes:
Sophie Ferguson :rolleyes:

Olivia and Sophie are both talented young girls, but giving them a free ride into the main draw is ridiculous...they will get slaughtered.

Rising Sun
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:49 AM
The most Sophie & Olivia should've gotten was a Qualifying WC. Anyway, good experience for them. :rolleyes:

I wonder who got the Qualifying WCs? :confused:

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Dubravka Cupac would have been a much better choice if we're talking juniors...and she actually won a match in qualifying this summer! The other two didn't win a set, and Sophie got thrashed in both her matches.

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks Dubz...glad to see you got in.

I expected those players, although Giltinan is a big surprise!?! :confused:

AUSBOY
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Congrats Dubz, but you earnt your place!!! :D

So 2 q-wildcards remaining - Hope they will be Watson and Kriz

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Horiatopoulos got one, according to Dubz in her thread (she must've just remembered) ;)

So one more...will it be a foreign one?

Id say its one of Watson, Kriz, Stewart and D.Dominikovic....or Im completely off the mark.

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Congratulations Dubravka

DutchieGirl
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Hmm...I'll have to go watch some of Lara's match!

petey_pan
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Christina Wheeler really should have got one.... I'm stunned that Ferguson and Olivia got one really..... very bad choices. Cupac is the only youngster I would have chosen.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Wheeler should have got one

Sophie and Olivia :confused:

Dubz :hug: :D well done on the WC :)

spiceboy
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know why Gabrielle Baker or Rachel Mc Quillan didn't get one in any tournaments? Still injured?

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Sekulovski, Cheung, Roberts, Barr, Kersten, Stone, Pinchbeck, D'amelio, Ivanov?

anthonyqld
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know why Gabrielle Baker or Rachel Mc Quillan didn't get one in any tournaments? Still injured?

I was very surprised when Gabby didn't get one into the GC quallies. She's a local Gold Coast girl, plus she won a qual. match last year against Benesova.

spiceboy
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Sekulovski, Cheung, Roberts, Barr, Kersten, Stone, Pinchbeck, D'amelio, Ivanov?

Probably Cheung got the WC

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe it was a foreign one? Like arent junior slam winners supposed to get qualy WC's to the event the following year? Strycova wouldnt need one, but maybe it went to someone else?

Maybe thats why this mystery girl is not familiar to Dubz? :p

Daniella Dominikovic is the only other one I can think of

spiceboy - Rachel is still injured. No idea on Gaby...quite surprising she hasn't received anything at all this summer.

spiceboy
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM
spiceboy - Rachel is still injured. No idea on Gaby...quite surprising she hasn't received anything at all this summer.

Thanx TS :wavey:

BTW, do you know Iva personally? Do you know how is she going?

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 10:58 AM
No I dont know her personally...have met her, but that's it ;)

I believe she is playing some challengers in a few weeks :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM
LOL@Spiceboy ;) :tape:

Terry..... i know the Jr Slam winners for Sure get WC's but the runners up aren't entitled to one if the winner gets in without one. That WC is then given back to the host to do as they wish.

where is Gaby these days ??? been sometime since she played :(

spiceboy
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM
LOL@Spiceboy ;) :tape:

(

Yeah Eggy...you better :tape: :tape: :tape: ;)

Best wishes for Iva :kiss: :kiss:

TS
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM
OK thanks Eggy!

No idea on Gaby...hope she's not injured.

spiceboy
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I believe Tennis Australia got revenge as Wheeler has preferred playing in the last years in the US instead of playing the Aussie summer circuit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Experimentee
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM
This is an absolute joke :fiery:
Wheeler should have got one! I had a feeling she wouldnt long ago, she isnt a teenager and we all know TA discrimminates against anyone over 20 no matter how good they are :rolleyes: Theres no excuse for not giving Wheeler one now, she even made the finals of the playoffs and only lost closely to Stosur.
Olivia L is not ready for the main draw! She'll be lucky to win a game, didnt she even get double bagelled in quallies last year? Olivia has done nothing of late. If they want someone young Cupac deserves it more.
Ferguson has had some ok results I guess, but she'll still get slaughtered. Adamzak deserves it more than her.
Whoever is making the WC decisions is really stupid :mad:

AUSBOY
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Watson almost takes a set off a top ten player on her return from injury and doesnt get a wildcard? What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

patricktav2003
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
WHY not to give Watson and Wheeler a chance??? that s stupid

Fantastic
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I'm shocked that Bojana Bobusic got a Qualifying Wildcard. She's a good player whose main game plan is getting to a lot of balls and having good placement on her shots. She's recently beaten players like Siobhan Drake-Brockman, Andrea Van Den Hurk and Nicole Sewell on grass and hardcourt. So there's some promise there judging by those wins. John Newcombe speaks highly of her. She has an older brother who was Xavier Malisse's hitting partner at the Hopman Cup last year, and he is also a promising player in his own right.

spiceboy
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
LOL Bobusic is a 16 yo girl with not experience even in challengers (2 matches played and both lost in her entire career) or WTA, let alone GS... This Aussie WC commitee really sucks...

TS
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM
I agree spiceboy - I don't know who is running that show. What a joke.

Bojana is a very good player though, just hasn't played enough events and THAT is why I don't understand how she could have gotten a WC. She didn't even play the Aussie challengers last year! She did beat Dubravka Cupac and a few other Aussies in a junior event a couple months ago and Dubz spoke highly of the way she played...I'll find out tomorrow ;)

I think Nicole Kriz and Cindy Watson have been unfairly overlooked.

Fantastic
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I agree. That's why Bobusic's Qualy WC was a surprise to me. The AO committee skipped over a lot of good players like Daniella Dominikovic to get to her. Jenny Hopkins should make easy work of Bojana, but heck, good luck to BB. We can't begrudge her for trying her luck for a WC and then actually getting it. I have to say though that Bojana has improved quite a bit since last years Oz Open. Her beating a former Top 150 player, a former Top 400 player and a current Top 800 player within the space of a month seems to indicate that she's capable of playing some good tennis. She has been working very hard on her game. Still, her WC inclusion didn't seem likely given her lack of professional results. I'm still stunned. But if Newk says she's worthy, then who am I to argue with him? ;)

Andrew.
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Congrats Jaslyn! :banana:

Too bad they didn't give Corina at least a qaluy WC, especially considering how well she is now doing in doubles with Davenport.