PDA

View Full Version : What's Happened to Sonya Jeyaseelan?

brunof
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:54 PM
What's happened to Canada's Sonya Jeyaseelan? After such a strong 2000, she had a rotten 2001, with a 3-17 record in Tier events, and hasn't shown up in any since. (Challengers?) It's sad that she has fallen so, she can do it as results show. She collected a pair of third rounds at Wimbledon and the Australian Open's, in 2000.

She won against big name players in 2000:
Here are a few - (BTW, I'm researching! ;)

Nathalie Tauziat
Nadia Petrova
Maggie Maleeva
Lisa Raymond
Conchita Martinez
Marissa Irvin
Meghann Shaughnessy

Other career wins -

1999 -

<B>Venus Williams</B> - Straight sets I must add. Does anyone have that awesome pic of her celebrating her win?
Gala Leon Garcia

1998 -

Corina Morariu - We miss ya...
Julie Halard-Decuguis
Nicole Pratt

She currently is struggling 502 :( Is she injured? Sonya, we miss you?

Also, speaking of Canadian players, any news on Jana Nejedly, Maureen Drake, Maria Eve?

monster
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Hi Brunof, there was a thread before Christmas or early Jan which gave a Link to Sonya's absense.
She had tendinitious on her knee's so didn't play much, then after Quebec Cuty she discovered she had internal brain cists behind or eyes. Pretty serious. She was recovering well and was about to go to Asa Carlsonn(Svensson's) wedding and they re rumptured.
She is unsure when and if she will come back.
Its so sad, loved Sonya's fiesty play

brunof
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Excuse me for my ignorance! That's terrible. Oh poor thing. Gosh, I hope she makes a 110 % recovery! Gosh.....GET WELL SONYA! :)

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Wow, that is shocking news. Hope she recovers soon!

CiCi Bonus Baby
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
God, I didn't know that she had a relapse. I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Hulet
Aug 14th, 2002, 01:00 PM
I got this article from the G&M. Good to see Jeyaseelan on her way back:)

Tebbutt: Jeyaseelan optimistic

By TOM TEBBUTT
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Montreal — Sonya Jeyaseelan of Toronto is taking part in her 10th Canadian Open, but this one is unlike any of the others.

After a forgettable 2001 season, with only one match win, largely due to patellar tendinitis in her left knee, things turned nightmarish for Jeyaseelan when it was learned in December that she had two cysts. One large one had broken through the sinus cavity into her left eye.

She underwent two operations — the second because of hemorrhaging after the first — and life was quickly reduced to essentials far removed from tennis.

At the Rogers AT&T Cup this week, Jeyaseelan made her return, winning her first-round qualifying match 6-3, 6-2 over the top seed and world No. 43 Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia before losing in the final round to Rossana Neffa-de Los Rios of Paraguay 6-2, 6-1. She made her exit from the tournament last night as she and her partner, Vanessa Webb of Toronto, lost a first-round doubles match 6-2, 6-1 to Laura Montalvo of Argentina and Elena Tatarkova of Ukraine.

"I wasn't even thinking about playing again," Jeyaseelan said of the dark days in December. "I was only thinking about being able to breathe normally and see normally. If the doctor had said I had to put away my tennis career to be healthy, I would have been happy, because I've done plenty of great things in my career and I could move on. But then I watched the Australian Open in January and I thought, 'Whoa, I want to be out there.'"

She could not risk the exertion of playing tennis again until March.

Once she started training, there were more problems. She tore cartilage in her left (two-handed backhand) wrist in May and avoided surgery by getting a cortisone shot and going through two weeks of rehabilitation.

Then on June 25, she sprained her left ankle and needed more than four weeks of rehab to barely be ready for the Rogers AT&T Cup.

The win over Srebotnik was a bit of a shock for Jeyaseelan and everyone who thought it would take months for her to rediscover her old form.

Playing Neffa-de Los Rios, she won the opening game and had points to win the second against an erratic opponent before the momentum totally shifted.

"I started to think," Jeyaseelan said of suddenly realizing she might win and reach the main draw. "I should have just gone with the flow."

That is largely what she did in her almost 12 months away from the tour, starting after last year's U.S. Open because of the knee (now fine).

"Once a week, I'd have a party of six and cook for them and just learn how to be around people, because in the [tennis] environment you grow up in you have to be so selfish," said Jeyaseelan, 26. "I went out, partied a lot, had a new social life. I had to learn a lot about who I am, what I want from life, and right and wrong. I got burned a few times and I learned from my mistakes."

After using her injury-protected ranking of No. 223 to enter the U.S. Open qualifying next week, she then plans to play lower-level events in Asia and travel with fellow Canadians Marie-Ève Pelletier and Vanessa Webb. The three share American coach Alan Ma.

"I don't want to be by myself now with my comeback," Jeyaseelan said. "I need a bit of a support group."

With a career best ranking of No. 48 (in 2000) and wins over Venus Williams (1999), Conchita Martinez (2000) and Nathalie Tauziat (2000), Jeyaseelan has shown she has the talent to thrive.

While inclined to look on the bright side, she does not enjoy the hypercompetitive aspect of the tennis existence. "It's a job and you go out there to kill, basically," she said. "There's some girls that walk right by you and they don't even care who you are or what you've been through. They have no perspective yet."

The tour can be cutthroat, but Jeyaseelan has no shortage of friends.

"When they saw me again, players like Maggie [Maleeva], Asa [Carlsson-Svensson], Jana Kandaar, Patty Schnyder, Irina Selyutina and Iva Majoli [a cosmopolitan mix from Bulgaria, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Kazakhstan and Croatia] all said, 'Oh, my God, Sonya, when are we going to go out?' because I'm known as the party person and the shopping person on the tour."

It is still a long way back for Jeyaseelan, but already there is a little more sparkle, energy and cheer on the scene with her return.

monster
Aug 14th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Great article.
Glad she is back