[5] Myskina VS Raymond
Coetzer VS Schyder
Shaugnessy VS [Q] Asa Svenson
[3] Mauresmo VS BYE
[8] Sugiyama VS Dechy
Schiavone VS [Q] Jelena Jankovic
[Q] Myriam Casanova VS Pistolesi
[2] Clijsters VS Bye

Go Anna Go:kiss: Let's all hope that Kim will witdraw;)

King Aaron
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Good luck Anna. :D

JPhurst
Jan 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM
It's possible that Clijsters will withdraw from this tournament. Her foot is not completely healed. If that's the case, then Anna has a very favorable draw, and not making the quarterfinals would be a big disappointment.

King Aaron
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Draw edited with qualifers. Tough one for Anna. :sad:

oren987
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Yes Aaron, tough one: Myriam Casanova :rolleyes:

Anyway, Good luck Anna :D

King Aaron
Jan 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Anna plays Myriam tomorrow, good luck Anna. :D

oren987
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:12 AM
First round:

Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR) d. (Q) Myriam Casanova (SUI) 63 63 :woohoo:

Great win for Anna, the 2nd time over Myriam (Last time she won the tournament ;) ).

Next, we have the injured Kim. Can we have a surprise?

JPhurst
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Draw edited with qualifers. Tough one for Anna. :sad:

Actually, that's a favorable draw for Anna. Unseeded, she draws a qualifier first round. After that, the top half of the bracket is definitely tougher. Who would you rather face? Clijsters (injured) and Sugiyama, or Henin-Hardenne and Davenport?

It's the top tournament the week before a slam, ANY draw will be tough. But given those circumstances, Anna lucked out here.

Tomas11
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:51 AM
WIll anna get a bye to the QF?

Nir
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Now Anna will play against Denisa Chladkova instead of the injured Kim

King Aaron
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Well done on winning Anna. I guess Anna's style just doesn't suit Myriam given her weight problems and all. :yeah: Good luck against Denisa.

Tomas11
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
how unfair is that? Chladkova lost r3 of qualies, and she gets to the 2nd round???
surely had it been a Williams or a Clijsters then we would have seen a bye...

JPhurst
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:05 PM
how unfair is that? Chladkova lost r3 of qualies, and she gets to the 2nd round???
surely had it been a Williams or a Clijsters then we would have seen a bye...

No we would not. If a player with a Bye withdraws, then their spot goes to a Lucky Loser just like someone who withdraws from the first round. The Lucky Loser gets the Bye as well.

If the withdrawal was before the draws were set, then the tournament could re-seed and replace the player with the next in line for the main draw. The new player player would get direct entry, but not the seed or the Bye. The seed and the Bye, would go to the next highest rank player, in this case Mauresmo.

Once the draws are set, there is no re-seeding, so the spot goes to a lucky loser, including the Bye.

This happened last year on the ATP tour in Tokyo, with Eric Taino, who lost his last qualifying match, getting the Lucky Loser spot of I believe Magnus Norman, who had to withdraw with an injury. Norman had a BYE, so Taino took his place in the draw. I raised the same question at the time.

It seems unfair, but once draws are set, you can't just take the next in line out of the qualifying draw and put them in the main draw, since qualifying has started. What can be considered unfair is Clijsters not announcing her withdrawal earlier if she knew that she wouldn't appear. But that would just mean that Anna, assuming she drew the same place in the bracket, would face Mauresmo.

Bottom line, Anna is not being treated unfairly, and still has the easiest draw in a tough tournament.

JPhurst
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Here's the thread from the mens tennis forum Tokyo Open where this matter was discussed.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=6120

JPhurst
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM
And it's a moot point anyway, as Anna won her second round match. That is, after once again spotting her opponent a set. :)

And Ai Sugiyama graciously crashed out in the first round, giving Anna perhaps one of the easiest draws EVER in a Tier II.

oren987
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Well, I am very happy that Anna made it to the QF, but next she will have the :devil: Francesca Schiavone :fiery: . Anna lost to Francesca 2 times before, and I have a feeling it will happend again.

I hope Anna will surprise me :angel:

King Aaron
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Well done on beating Denisa, Anna. :D Good luck against Schiavone, you can do it. :yeah:

The same thing happened in New Haven in 2002 as well when Jelena Dokic withdrew at the last minute. ;)

oren987
Jan 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Anna lost to Francesca Schiavone 6-2 6-2 :fiery: :fiery: :rolleyes: :(

I wonder when will be the day that Anna will beat her :(

alon222
Jan 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Anna lost to Francesca Schiavone 6-2 6-2 :fiery: :fiery: :rolleyes: :(

I wonder when will be the day that Anna will beat her :(
first she has to beat amanda
then ai
then Schiavone.

all of them are not top5 but they have power on her.
i think that she is losing to this girles before the start.:eek: