PDA

View Full Version : Best surface players

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:18 PM
CURRENTLY, who do you think is dominant on the different surfaces. Who do you think plays best on certain surfaces better then others?

For eahc of the top 5, pick which plays best on a surface

1. Capriati-none
2. Venus-Hard/Grass
3. Martina- Rebound ace/Clay
4. Davenport- Hard/Grass
5. Clijsters-Clay

irma
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:21 PM
How much I like Kimmy, I don`t think she dominates on clay. not yet at least(it might coming:D)

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Oh, I was just saying I think she plays better on clay then any other surface. I mean, which of the top 5 are better on certain surfaces then other surfaces thye play on.

-Sonic-
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Lindsay is deadly on carpet also.

irma
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:28 PM
I see, I personally think Kim`s best surface is indoors, she always plays well on it.

Lindsayfan
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Lindsay's best surface is CARPET.she always said that-she feels herself almost unbeatable on carpet.

tfannis
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:32 PM
I think clay is Kim's worst surface. She did improve last year, but I'm not so sure she can repeat last years performance at Roland Garros. She's better on the quicker surfaces.

mishar
Feb 14th, 2002, 10:40 PM
I agree. I think Kim will throughout her career get her best results on the fastest surfaces (hardcourts, indoors, grass). I think the RG result last year was an anomaly, though even more impressive for that!

I also think clay is Martina's worst surface -- well, maybe between clay and grass. I don't understand why, but she really hasn't had such good results on the red stuff. She hasn't won a title since 1999 on the dirt. And out of her 40 titles, most are on hard courts or indoors. I think only 5 on clay.

Fingon
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Actually Mishar, Martina won Hamburg in 2000, that's red clay :)

Ryan, Kim dominat on clay?????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

what do you understand by "dominant"?, if reaching a GS final on that surface is dominance, then, of current players:
dominants on rebound ace:
Lindsay Davenport
Jennifer Capriati
Monica Seles
Amelie Mauresmo
Mary Pierce
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Conchita Martinez
Martina Hingis

on clay:
Jennifer Capriati
Monica Seles
Kim Clijsters
Mary Pierce
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Conchita Martinez
Martina Hingis
Iva Majoli

on grass:
Lindsay Davenport
Venus Williams
Monica Seles
Justine Henin
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Conchita Martinez
Martina Hingis

on hard:
Venus Williams
Lindsay Davenport
Serena Williams
Monica Seles
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Martina Hingis

:confused:

ptkten
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Jennifer Capriati is best on slow hardcourts like the Australian Open and Miami
Venus Williams is best on fast hardcourts like the one's used in California and at the U.S. Open
Martina Hingis is best on slow hardcourts and green clay.
Lindsay Davenport is best on fast indoor surfaces.
Kim Clijsters is best on slower indoor surfaces.

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Martina has 6 tournaments on clay:

FC Cup: 1997, 1999
Hamburg: 1998, 2000
Berlin: 1999
Rome: 1998

And has been twice runners-up at Roland Garros, including having reached semis or better in the last 5 years (no one else has done it). I think she is the most consistent player on claycourts right now.

However, I also think that Monica Seles is still the best player on clay right now. Given her phenomenal record on it. But if Martina can get a Roland Garros win, she could quickly change that.

I think Venus is the best on fast hardcourts and grass. But a healthy Serena is likewise the best, just hasn't been able to match Venus mentally.

Lindsay is (at her best) she's the best on carpet or any indoors courts, like what people have said before she's very dangerous on it.

Jenn is starting to become the best player on slow hardcourts (rebound ace), but I still think Martina is again the most consistent player on it.

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 15th, 2002, 06:45 AM
There's something about the Roland Gaross clay that didn't allow Martina to win 97' and 99'. I also think Clay is not Martina's best surface. She thrives on pace from her opponents and make something out of them. I actually think clay only makes her slower on court and she has to generate alot of her own stuff to win her points on the surface. Its wierd, but ever since RG 99', she looks so sluggish playing on it:confused:

Linton
Feb 15th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Even though Martina Is very successful on mainly any surface i dont think she dominates on clay. (even tohugh she mainly dominates on anything else) Well Ok she does dominate on clay. but there are better people.

Williams Rulez
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:59 AM
For each category, players are arranged according to dominance

On clay:
Monica, Jennifer

On grass:
Venus, Lindsay

On hardcourts:
Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Martina

On Rebound Ace:
Jennifer, Martina, Lindsay, Monica

On Indoors:
Lindsay, Kim, Serena

propi
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:45 PM
I must tell a really funny thing, I saw in sanexwtatour.com Conchita, whose best GS was Wimby has a better stadistic on clay than ASV and it was exactly the opposite in grass, with ASV having the better one.
Destiny is sometimes really mad

Mark43
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Clay, Rebound: Jennifer
Grass, Hard: Venus
Carpet: Lindsay

Keith
Feb 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Ryan14
CURRENTLY, who do you think is dominant on the different surfaces. Who do you think plays best on certain surfaces better then others?

For eahc of the top 5, pick which plays best on a surface

1. Capriati-none
2. Venus-Hard/Grass
3. Martina- Rebound ace/Clay
4. Davenport- Hard/Grass
5. Clijsters-Clay

Ryan,

your post is clearly biased, luckily no one buys it.

With exception to Venus' hard and grass dominance, you chose players that haven't won a grand slam on their dominant surface, in at least 2 years, if at all.

Martina dominant on clay and rebound? If you think reaching finals, but not winning is dominating, please check your head. She has not won a clay title in quite some time.

Kim dominant on clay? Im not sure she won a match on clay last year before the French, and she lost in the first round at RG 2000.

You say Jen is not dominant on any surface? She won Aus twice and 2 clay court titles last year including the French, plus a finals in Germany.

Lindsay may have been number one last year, but she didnt even make a grand slam final last year.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:51 PM
On clay:
Monica, Jennifer

On grass:
Venus, Lindsay

On hardcourts:
Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Martina

On Rebound Ace:
Martina, Jeniffer, Lindsay, Monica

On Indoors:
Lindsay only- very deadly