PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards Accusation

MARIANO
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
I want to express my anger by the way in which the wildcards are given nowadays.

I believe that wildcards should be offered fairly among all the countries independently of the country organizer of the tournament.

Through the present system, only are benefited the players of developed countries; giving the possibility to their juniors of playing tournaments to shorter age, facilitating its professional development.

In this manner, tennis players from countries with less development are being DISCRIMINATED. They should fight by themselves, without any type of aid.

I believe this is WRONG, while members of the WTA are looking to another side.

I am really going to appreciate other opinions, contrary or not.

Thanx

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I want to express my anger by the way in which the wildcards are given nowadays.

I believe that wildcards should be offered fairly among all the countries independently of the country organizer of the tournament.

Through the present system, only are benefited the players of developed countries; giving the possibility to their juniors of playing tournaments to shorter age, facilitating its professional development.

In this manner, tennis players from countries with less development are being DISCRIMINATED. They should fight by themselves, without any type of aid.

I believe this is WRONG, while members of the WTA are looking to another side.

I am really going to appreciate other opinions, contrary or not.

Thanx

With many Australian businesses contributing either thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to this event I think they have every expectation that their contribution would be going to help local talents and not some 3rd world no name!

Their is also ticket sales that need to be considered. Locals are more likely to come to the Open if they get the chance to support local players rather than foreign no names. Also sponsorship is also going to be easier to get if companies know that they are also helping local up and coming talents.

I sympathise with players brought up in non-tennis regions and that it is harder for them, but if they really do have the talent and motivation they can make it. All they need to do is find sponsorship and learn to market themselves!

Look at players like Dally Randrientefy(Madagascar), Selima Sfar(Tunisia), Cara Black (Zimbabwe), Bahia Mouhtassine(Morocco), all from non-tennis playing countries. They have made it, sure its been a rough road for some of them but wildcards aren't the be all and end all of things.

St.Sebastian
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Well, you are both right, I'd say. However, I'd rather support your opinion AUSBOY.
The thing is different with Grand Slams. If there are 8 wildcards, more of them should be given to prospective players who don't make the cut-off, not only to the host country players.

AUSBOY
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Well, you are both right, I'd say. However, I'd rather support your opinion AUSBOY.
The thing is different with Grand Slams. If there are 8 wildcards, more of them should be given to prospective players who don't make the cut-off, not only to the host country players.

I think the Australian Open is the fairest of the Slams. We have an Asian wildcard in men and womens singles and doubles, we have the French Exchange wildcards. We have also had British womens main draw and qualifying exchanges before as well as a US Open womens main draw exchange. The Australian Open at least does give some hope to up and comers, particularly in Asia to get a wildcard.

ozfan44
Jan 7th, 2004, 12:46 PM
yeah if u wanna whinge about anyone have a go at the us open all they do is usa usa usa usa usa

*JR*
Jan 14th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Ultimately, the ITF (which ovasees the Slams) probably needs to adjust to changing geographic realities. 3 of the 4 Slams are now held in countries where the main language is English, the other in one just ova a narrow waterway from one of those. Russia has more ppl than all of those but the US, and more Promising Players than any other.

The native lands of the main candidates for "best woman of the Open Era" (pending the what the W/S and MAYBE Belgians do the next few years, of course) are all "non-Slam" countries. (Martina I, Monica, and Steffi, I think most would agree, in whatever order one prefers). Perhaps they could add a couple?

Melly Flew Us
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:36 AM
With many Australian businesses contributing either thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to this event I think they have every expectation that their contribution would ... not some 3rd world no name!

as opposed to some local no name?

i cogratulate TA on it's wildcard selection this yr, 'specially for young olivia. bravo.

however there is more scope for fairer distribution. In fact TA are in the forefront: they have an agreement with the fft, hence some french wildcards, and also TA also wants 2 encourage regional following, hence a WC to UZB in men's and TPE in women's.

The Crow
Jan 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I think the Australian Open is the fairest of the Slams. We have an Asian wildcard in men and womens singles and doubles, we have the French Exchange wildcards. We have also had British womens main draw and qualifying exchanges before as well as a US Open womens main draw exchange. The Australian Open at least does give some hope to up and comers, particularly in Asia to get a wildcard.
That's not fair at all. I can understand they want to give WC's to their own young players for their own event, but that exchange thing, what's that all about? Basically, this bottles down to wanting their own players (who aren't good enough to enter main or qualifying draw) to enter a GS on the other side of the world. For what? Not to lure more spectators, that's for sure. No, it's to give their own youth more chances, chances that players of other countries don't get!

New
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well...there is no exchange in terms of asia...cos there's no grand slam for asia! ...so i guess the aus open is pretty fair.

nitsansh
Jan 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM
With many Australian businesses contributing either thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to this event I think they have every expectation that their contribution would be going to help local talents and not some 3rd world no name!

mmm... Kia and Heineken are owned by Australians? that's news to me...

Jem
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
One point that may be missing in this debate is the fact that the four Grand Slams help fund all of the development/junior tournaments in the world. For example, when you have a South American challenger/satellite circuit, at least half if not more of the money comes from the profits generated by the Grand Slams. I think the current wildcard selections are fine -- seems to me the host countries should be able to pick the players they want. I thought the USTA did a good job last year with its wildcards. They went to a lot of up-and-coming players. I think Australia is going to great lengths to give Asian players a chance. And I like the way that Great Britain has tweaked its wildcard system to make the British players fight a little harder for the glory.

MARIANO
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:40 AM
so?