PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence??

danielrosario
Jan 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Can anyone tell me who was present when the draws were made?
I don't normally question the way the draws are made, but I noticed some strange coincidences, both involving the Marama sisters.

In the qualifying draw, Paula was drawn against some unheard of Diane Hollands who doesn't even have a ranking. In the next round, she faced the LOWEST SEED possible - Jill Craybas.

Then, in the main draw, there were only 2 Wildcards out of 32 players... and they ended up facing each other: Eden Marama and Shelley Stephens. Any guesses who she meets in round 2? You guessed it - the LOWEST SEED possible Anca Barna!

I know sometimes such things happen by chance, so I'm not going to question the integrity of the tournament, but such happenings do raise eyebrows -- anyone else curious?

BTW, if Eden and Paula were given the liberty of choosing their own opponents, I'd be surprised if their choices would be any different!
(Though I feel sure the sisters had nothing to do with this)

Jem
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't know the specifics of this tournament, but in every case, the tournament has a public draw ceremony, where all the names are put in a hat and are then drawn out, usually by one or two player representatives on hand to participate. There's no way the draw can be rigged in this scenario. The only way you can rig a draw is to give special seedings, and then only to a point. Given the competitive nature of the players, you can be certain that there would be lots of screaming if they even suspected draws were being rigged. Moreover, it's just not that uncommon for wildcards or qualifiers to be paired against each other in first round matches. I've even seen draws where a qualifier drew a lucky loser in a first round match, and they had also played in the final qualifying round. I think you have to chalk up this year's Auckland tournament to the "Good" luck of the draw for the Maramas and Shelly Stephens!

danielrosario
Jan 5th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Probably - I've sees such tournaments too - But in this one, it has happened 4 times: twice each for both Maramas. That's a little too much good luck :)
But it guess it's just that aftar all :)

pav
Jan 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
One of the TV channels here was just about having an orgasm because for the 1st time since 1998 a Kiwi will make the 2nd round, hell it was a bit hard not to when two Kiwis were playing each other!

Randy H
Jan 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Funny, I actually thought the same thing in the back of my mind - Kind of a funny coincidence that both Marama sisters drew fellow Kiwi's, but I am sure nothing more ;)

MARIANO
Jan 5th, 2004, 11:59 PM
there are pics of the draw ceremony..
many players were there...
I believe its just good luck for eden...

sartrista7
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:36 AM
And - quelle coincidence - it was Paula Marama who "helped" them make the draw ;) The evidence is even up on www.wtatour.com/photogallery

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photogallery/auckland/f_03.jpg

Tennisace
Jan 6th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Dianne Hollands is a college tennis player that plays for Arizona University...I believe she's about top 25 on the college level.

danielrosario
Jan 6th, 2004, 04:48 AM
So Paula was the only player representative at the draw ceremony? ... Another thing that makes me go hmmm.

Experimentee
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I thought that was weird too. I didnt notice the lowest seed thing before, but both Maramas drawing NZ WC's in both the main draw and qualifying was very suspect.

©@®eLess
Jan 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
well you have to push someone from time to time. If germans do that with their players and americans, and russians too, why wouldn't new zealand? After all this is probably the only chance for this girl to get this far a be heard of. What she is ranked like 250 and this is a tier IV

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 6th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Eden is ranked #400 I think...she did well towards the end of last year winning a few 10K's, but she has never won a match outside of the 10K level....hopefully she can get a couple of games against Barna and make it look reasonably competitive :o

polishprodigy
Jan 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I think that you guys are missing something here.

If it was fixed, then were Craybas AND Barna in on it too? :rolleyes: Because they would have had to win their matches to reach the second round and beat the Marama sisters respectively, correct? Its a coincidence, that is all :p

It is common for native players to make the draws, and sometimes they get good ones and sometimes they get bad ones. Canadian WC's like Maureen Drake ALWAYS come and pick out names at the draw ceremony for Toronto/Montreal, and last year Myskina did it too, and she was gleaming with happiness as she got a great draw stuffed with qualifiers. Did she fix that one too? No.

Its a coincidence. Get over it.

tjord00
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:55 PM
There's always coincidences in draws. It always seemed that Spirlea was always drawing the William's sisters. They were always in her draw. Same thing that Dokic was complaining about too about drawing Davenport...

danielrosario
Jan 7th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I think that you guys are missing something here.

If it was fixed, then were Craybas AND Barna in on it too? :rolleyes: Because they would have had to win their matches to reach the second round and beat the Marama sisters respectively, correct?

Wrong! :rolleyes: If it was fixed, it would have been fixed for the Marama sisters. NOT for Craybas and Barna. So why would Craybas and Barna have to be in on it at all? :rolleyes: If it was fixed, the sisters were just put in Craybas and Barna's sections because these two were the lowest seeds in their draws. The idea wasn't to makes the Maramas play Craybas and Barna, but to avoid the possibility of their meeting any seed higher than them.

Get it? :tape:

spiceboy
Jan 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Pfff it's too obvious to me :p

It's not that Paula met a fellow WC in first round qualifying but even the weakest one of all. No doubt than even Ilke and Leanne are stronger than Dianne :rolleyes: :rolleyes: