PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 Qualy Reports

spiceboy
Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
Source: nzoom.com

Straight sets for Panova

By David Long at the ASB Bank Tennis Centre

2002 ASB Classic finalist Tatiana Panova is through to the second round of the qualifying tournament for this year's Classic after defeating Lubomira Kurhajcova in straight sets.

Panova, who has slipped down the rankings to 114 in the world after an injury ravaged 2003, now has to battle through the qualifying to make the main draw of the ASB Classic and played well defeating her Slovakian opponent 6-4 7-6.

Panova broke in the first game of the match but struggled to hold serve in the next game looking decidedly rusty.

Her first serve was surprisingly weak and the second serve was hopelessly inadequate. However she managed to hold on and move into a position where she was 5-2 up and serving for the set.

Kurhajcova, whose body language was resigned to the fact that she'd be the first casualty of the tournament up to that point suddenly had a transformation and won the next three games, saving four set points in the process.

But it was fifth time a charm for the Russian as she held serve in the 10th game to take the set.

Kurhajcova dropped her serve straight away in the second set, not helped by two double faults.

The next game lasted an absolute eternity with it going to deuce numerous times before Kurhajcova eventually got the break.

But while Kurhajcova put up such a tremendous battle in that game she went down hopelessly to love in the next undoing all the hard work she had done previously.

However she was able to get the break back shortly afterwards and send the set into a tiebreak.

But this was where Panova's experience really told and she was able to win it 7-3 to book her place in the second round of qualifying.

Nervous Marama wins through

Paula Marama admitted she was nervous before making her debut appearance at the ASB Classic on Saturday afternoon.

Marama defeated fellow Kiwi Diane Hollands 6-4 6-2 in the first round of qualifying for the ASB Classic to set up a match against American Jill Craybas who was a quarterfinalist at the Classic last year, but it was a tentative first set for the Paris based Marama.

"Before going on I was nervous, playing back at home and this is a big tournament," she told nzoom.com after the match. "I didn't start well, I had trouble starting but after a while I got better."

Marama plays on the court with all out aggression and looks to hit winners at every opportunity, which while sometimes does give her unbelievable winners, it also means that she makes plenty of errors. But Marama has a simple philosophy when it comes to tennis.

"I just want to hit the ball, I lose control sometimes but I do like to hit the ball."

And her French coach Nicolas Copin likes her to play in that manner, although he'd like her to reduce the errors somewhat.

"He encourages me to play aggressively and to hit the ball, but I have to control it and sometimes I lose control and that's something I'm working on."

For the match against Craybas, which is the second on centre court on Sunday, Marama said the only thing she'll want to change from her game plan is the number of mistakes she makes.

"I have to play differently," she said. "I'll have to cut down on my errors because I made too many of them today, but I'm still going to attack.

"I'm not going to change anything like that."

Gers ousted in qualifying

New Zealand number two Ilke Gers went out of the qualifying tournament of the ASB Classic 6-0 6-4 against Mara Santangelo on Saturday afternoon.

Gers never got a look in during first set as Santangelo hit the ground running on a hot centre court in Auckland.

But Gers was able to put the disappointing first set behind her and play much better tennis in the second set.

She looked to attack the ball a lot more and played with confidence on her serve and only dropped her serve once.

Afterwards Gers told nzoom.com that although she played much better in the second set it was disappointing match for her.

"The second set was definitely better but still not up to the standard of how I would have like to have played," she said.

"She certainly came out firing, playing really well and I just didn't get a chance to get into it in the first set.

"In the second set she started making more errors and I started playing a little bit better, but I'm still very disappointed with the result.

"I was trying the whole time to lift my game because I know I can play better, but I left it a little bit late.

"It's unfortunate but that's the way it went."

Gers was a vastly improving doubles player on the circuit last year and she has been rewarded for this with a wildcard for the qualifying of the doubles event with her being able to choose who she'd like as her partner and has decided to go with Anastassia Rodionova.

Rodionova is from Russia and has a doubles ranking of 132 in the world.

"She was looking for a partner and I was looking for a partner and she's a really good player," said Gers.

Meanwhile current New Zealand Residentials champion, Leanne Baker, lost to Shenay Perry 6-1 6-1.

Source: nzoom.coom

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
thanx Emilio :)

King Aaron
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks. :D