PDA

View Full Version : Who will win This Year 2002, FRENCH OPEN!

Buitenzorg
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Hi, Guys! who do you think will win The Ladies Single Champion this year (2002) FRENCH OPEN!

Becool
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Where is Serena?????!!!!!!!! :fiery:

Go Serena u're gonna win this!!!! :p :)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
I picked Jenn.

I want Martina too - but my mind is saying jenn at the moment.

Mind you, I have a couple months to change my mind, so we'll see how things unfold :)

Maajken
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Its about time Martina wins this

Williams Rulez
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Venus, Momo or Serena!! :bounce: :bounce: :D

Wally
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:10 AM
who else but the queen of clay - TAMMY!!!! :bounce:

GO TAMMY! :D

Grice
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Monica to reach the finals, if not win it!
She's red hot!
only Hingis, and maybe Serena seem capable of stopping her on clay at the moment:bounce: :bounce:

Elske
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Justine Henin!! :bounce:

Mazza
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:56 AM
I think this is going to be Kim's first slam!! :) :D :bounce:

Damage
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:00 PM
i voted for martina to win this...so that she can prove that she can win the roland garros and make it her 6th slam title!
Good Luck Martina!Add one more title to your name!!! c'mon on!!!

Martian Mel
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Martina will win!!:kiss:

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
LINDSAY DAVENPORT is she will play!!!!

A4
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Where the f*uck is Serena?

Buitenzorg
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:18 PM
Go HINGIS! :bounce:

Buitenzorg
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Martina Hingis, Monica Seles, Justine Henin, Jennifer Capriati

A4
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:32 PM
You must be either Russian or French, with a name like that ......

veronica
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Both the French (especially) and the AO seem like "survival of the fittest" .

Clay is the great equalizer and who wins RG really comes down to who wants it the most. Luck also seems to play a huge role in the outcome of this Slam - who draws who, who comes into the event at less than 100% and the weather. If it is hot and dry like last year, it helps the power players.

Anyone in the top ten could take this. Question is - who is mentally ready? Obviously folks who have already won a Slam have a great chance. Those who have won this Slam stand the best chance. That makes Capriati, Seles and Hingis the favs. Probably in that order. Then Venus, Lindsay & Serena. They know how to win a Slam just not at Roland Garros.

I could see Seles winning it, IF she does not draw Hingis. I know Jennifer could take Hingis out again. But, Hingis' junk ball would wear down Monica. Monica doesn't generate enough power to keep Martina running. However, I do think Monica would beat Jennifer here. This is where the draw factors in.

The danger for Lindsay, Serena and Venus is running into an ASV, Conchita, Coetzer or an up-n-commer like Hantuchova/ Bedanova early and either losing or being totally worn down by the match.

Next IN - Dokic, Clijsters, Mauresmo & Henin ~ in that order. This is based on their ability to close out big matches. In a slam they potentially have to do it three times in a row. I don't see it happening right now for any of them.

Jordan.
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Martina of course...

ASV
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:40 AM
ARANTXA SANCHEZ-VICARIO!!!

Kart
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:42 AM
GO MONICA :)

Fingon
Feb 15th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Veronika, you made some good points.

I only disagree in a few points:
1) Honestly, I don't think Lindsay or Serena have a chance in hell of winning RG.
2) I don't consider Bedanova too dangerous on clay.
3) I don't think Arantxa and Conchita represent any danger now.
4) I disagree with the order of the last four, I would say: Justine, Kim, Jelena and Mauresmo.

The reasons being, Mauresmo does feel the pressure, she lost to Jana Kandarr last year and I think the french crowd will tough to her.

Justine does have problems to close out big matches, so do Kim and Jelena, among the three I would go for the most skilled for clay.

Other factors worth mentioning:
1) Injuries, we are talking about this year's french open, then you can write Lindsay off, I don't think she will even play.
2) Pressure, Mauresmo as mentioned, but also Martina and Justine.

I agree that Monica can beat Jennifer, Jennifer can beat Martina and Martina can beat Monica, there are other factors in the draw, for example, I prefer Justine to draw any player, including Jennifer Martina and Monica rather than Kim

Buitenzorg
Feb 15th, 2002, 03:08 AM
She's the Champion, this could be her year to win first GS title since 1999 (Australian OPEN), especially first time for her, if she could win this FRENCH OPEN!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Jennifer Will Defend! Go Jen Go! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

destructo_girl
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by veronica
Those who have won this Slam stand the best chance. That makes Capriati, Seles and Hingis the favs. Probably in that order. Then Venus, Lindsay & Serena. They know how to win a Slam just not at Roland Garros. Martina hasn't won this before.

Buitenzorg
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Go HINGIS!

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
¡¡¡CONCHITA MARTINEZ!!!

hillly377
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:45 PM
I think Jennifer Capriati is going to win this thing again, she is so good, she plays great and we already saw that she is a great fighter (Australian Open 2002).
"May the best player win" and she is the best so there aren't any other options...

veryborednow
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:48 PM
It's good to see that people are more positive about Jen's chances of defending her title!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GO JENN!!

Welcome to the board hillly377

Ryan
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Veronica, you had some really good points. I think Venus could make it to the semis or finals, if she doesnt draw Coetzer, Hingis, or either of the Belgians. Capriati looks less fit this year, and is she meets Hingis, I think it will be the opposite outcome of last year.

veronica
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:10 PM
destructo-girl : LOL! I actually Do know that Hingis hasn't won RG. I seem to always forget it. She has been so close. I still consider her the third favorite after 1.) Jennifer 2.) Monica. I would say Venus is #4.

No offense to any of their fans, but I don't see Henin, Clijsters or Dokic winning any Slam this year. They are not mentally ready. None have the required winning record against the top 5 players. I cannot see them lasting through a 3 round gauntlet of top ten players . Does anyone really believe that Henin could beat (for example) Momo in the 1/4, Hingis in the Semi & Jennifer in the finals? Sorry, I don't. She may take out one, but not three top players in a row. The only way it could happen is if something freakish occurs like Rita Grande making it to the semis or final.

Fingon:
1) Honestly, I don't think Lindsay or Serena have a chance in hell of winning RG.

I agree! But I don't think anyone else but Jennifer, Monica, Martina or Venus does either. LOL!
2) I don't consider Bedanova too dangerous on clay.
Me either! As much as I love V/S I feel that RG is too tough physically for them. If they draw two or three players in the early rounds who move them around the court a lot they seem to peter out by the Quarters.

Actually, several players could prove problematic for them including: Grande, Schiavone, Montolio, Anna K., Kruger, Suarez, etc. It's not that ASV or Conchita or any one particular player is especially dangerous but it is the cumulative effort it takes to beat several scrappy players in the early rounds that effects Venus and Serena. Players that normally win 2-3 games off them on a hard court may win 8-10 games on clay. This effects V/S in the long run.

I agree that Monica can beat Jennifer, Jennifer can beat Martina and Martina can beat Monica, there are other factors in the draw, for example, I prefer Justine to draw any player, including Jennifer Martina and Monica rather than Kim

See above. I know you love Justine and while she does stand a chance versus Jennifer, I do not see her beating Martina or Monica. It just ain't gonna happen. They are too consistent. Dokic has no chance of winning this. Kim will be lucky to make it to the semis if everyone shows up to play and no one loses in the first round. I don't see Momo or Venus tanking this year and with Monica in the equation, things at RG will be much, much different for 2002.

Barrie_Dude
Jul 5th, 2003, 12:11 AM
I predict Serena Williams! :rolleyes:

BigB08822
Jul 5th, 2003, 12:12 AM
^ Lol!